Free iPad2 for taking a survey

So, I went to YouTube just a minute ago and a popup claimed that I would win an item just for taking their survey; so, I thought, hell, why not?

I gave them my name, address, e-mail address and cell phone number. No other personal information like a credit card number or a social security number. I'm not that stupid, but at times, that's debatable.

After taking the survey, I had a few choices.. $1000 gift card to Best Buy, $1000 gift card to Wal Mart, some other gift card that I don't even remember, or an iPad2.

I chose the iPad2. They texted me a pin number to enter into the field provided on the screen. After that, I received another text stating: Your Wish Has Been Granted! Be ready to seize the opportunity that will present itself and you will be successful." wtf.gif

Has this happened to any of you? I'm thinking it's just a bullshit scam so they can flood my spam folder, or have my mailbox filled with junk mail. If it's some nefarious plan to steal my identity, I've got Life Lock, so they can go f**k themselves.

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Jun 2 2011, 04:22 PM)
So, I went to YouTube just a minute ago and a popup claimed that I would win an item just for taking their survey; so, I thought, hell, why not?

I gave them my name, address, e-mail address and cell phone number.  No other personal information like a credit card number or a social security number.  I'm not that stupid, but at times, that's debatable.

After taking the survey, I had a few choices..  $1000 gift card to Best Buy,  $1000 gift card to Wal Mart, some other gift card that I don't even remember, or an iPad2.

I chose the iPad2.  They texted me a pin number to enter into the field provided on the screen.  After that, I received another text stating:  Your Wish Has Been Granted!  Be ready to seize the opportunity that will present itself and you will be successful."  wtf.gif

Has this happened to any of you?  I'm thinking it's just a bullshit scam so they can flood my spam folder, or have my mailbox filled with junk mail.  If it's some nefarious plan to steal my identity, I've got Life Lock, so they can go f**k themselves.

I'm thinking it's just a bullshit scam

Ya think? wink.gif tongue.gif

Might as well start notifying your friends and family now that you're going to be using a new e-mail address.

You'd be surprised to find out how they can use some of your info to get all of your info or enough info to f**k you. I'm hoping this thread was started in sarcasm....

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 2 2011, 05:31 PM)
Might as well start notifying your friends and family now that you're going to be using a new e-mail address.

I use a shitcan e-mail address for this sorta stuff.

Keepin' my fingers crossed, just in case. biggrin.gif

http://www.americanmanufacturing.org/files/brooklyn-bridge.jpg

She's a beauty, ain't she? I'll sell her to you at a great price, and think of all the money you'll make from the tolls!

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Jun 2 2011, 07:22 PM)

I gave them my name, address, e-mail address and cell phone number.  No other personal information like a credit card number or a social security number.  I'm not that stupid, but at times, that's debatable.

You gave them your cell phone number too? Yikes.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 3 2011, 08:41 AM)
QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 3 2011, 08:29 AM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/StarTrekFacePalm.gif

You're never truly accepted as a Star Fleet captain until you can do a proper facepalm. Here, Sisko joins the ranks.

Even Janeway got into the act!