Synth Similarities

L. Wince

I dont know if this has been discussed ever but I heard the song "Winning" by Santana earlier tonight. I noticed that the synth parts of the song are nearly identical to synth parts in "Red Sector A" The only real difference is that the notes are higher in "Winning" than they are in "Red Sector A"

This doesnt mean anything nor do I believe that the "riff" was stolen by Rush, (Santana's song was released in 81) it's probably mere coincidence more than anyting. I just thought it was kinda noticable and fun to point out.

If you want to hear for yourself ill post the links:

RED SECTOR A - listen @ 1:04

WINNING - listen @ 0:59

Cool find. I love that song Winning by Santana. Did you know that the opening synth to Between The Wheels is almost exactly like a soap opera theme? The theme is played on piano. I think it's either Days Of Our Lives or Young And The Restless. Somebody help me out here.

yes, i did catch that connection, though I couldnt think of what show it was from. thank you for finding that it was young and the restless.

My sister is the one that pointed this out to me long ago about Between the Wheels' beginning similar to Y&R theme. Also known as "Nadia's Theme" which was used by ice skater Nadia Comeneche at the 1976 Winter Olympic games.

Oh, and Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Two Tribes" has striking similarities to parts in both "Distant Early Warning" and "Between the Wheels"

The long closing synth on Subdivisions sounds like a version of the Macintosh computer when it turns on.

Edited by circumstantial tree

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jun 1 2011, 08:48 PM)
Here's an obscure 80's tune I thought sounded a little like The Weapon in the synth department (you have to get into it a bit).

Visage's Fade To Grey

trink39.gif I love that song (well, both songs actually), and I've noticed the similarity as well!

Edit - it's entirely possible that Fade To Grey DID influence The Weapon's synths. Neil said Ultravox and some of the other New Romantic-era synth acts influenced Signals. As you probably know, Midge Ure and Billy Currie of Ultravox also made up most of the musical aspect of Visage.

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 1 2011, 09:37 PM)
Here's an obscure 80's tune I thought sounded a little like The Weapon in the synth department (you have to get into it a bit).

Visage's Fade To Grey

trink39.gif I love that song (well, both songs actually), and I've noticed the similarity as well!

Edit - it's entirely possible that Fade To Grey DID influence The Weapon's synths. Neil said Ultravox and some of the other New Romantic-era synth acts influenced Signals. As you probably know, Midge Ure and Billy Currie of Ultravox also made up most of the musical aspect of Visage.

That explains a lot, thanks! I knew of the Rush - Ultravox connection, but not the Ultravox- Visage connection. Cool yes.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jun 1 2011, 11:26 PM)

Visage's Fade To Grey

That explains a lot, thanks! I knew of the Rush - Ultravox connection, but not the Ultravox- Visage connection. Cool yes.gif

Midge pretty much had to teach Steve Strange how to sing. Steve was a club promoter, not really a singer.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jun 1 2011, 11:26 PM)

Visage's Fade To Grey

Midge pretty much had to teach Steve Strange how to sing. Steve was a club promoter, not really a singer.

Raymond Scott's Powerhouse appears in La Villa Strangiato .

http://raymondscott.com/FAQ.htm

Q: Did the rock band RUSH get sued and have to pay royalties for their unauthorized use of Raymond Scott's ''Powerhouse'' in their 1978 recording ''La Villa.Strangiato''-?

A: By the time Raymond Scott's publisher notified the band's management of the infringement, the statute of limitations had expired on the challenge. But Rush's management, out of deference to Mr. and Mrs. Scott (Raymond was still alive at that point), offered a one-time "penance" payment, feeling it was the ethical thing to do. All involved were happy with the resolution, and Rush has no further financial obligations. Under the settlement, they were not required to accord RS partial songwriting credit on the.piece.

Rush are nice guys they paid him a one time royalty even though they didn't have to

QUOTE (patjnev @ Jun 2 2011, 01:53 AM)

Q: Did the rock band RUSH get sued and have to pay royalties for their unauthorized use of Raymond Scott's ''Powerhouse'' in their 1978 recording ''La Villa.Strangiato''-?
A: By the time Raymond Scott's publisher notified the band's management of the infringement, the statute of limitations had expired on the challenge. But Rush's management, out of deference to Mr. and Mrs. Scott (Raymond was still alive at that point), offered a one-time "penance" payment, feeling it was the ethical thing to do. All involved were happy with the resolution, and Rush has no further financial obligations. Under the settlement, they were not required to accord RS partial songwriting credit on the.piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfDqR4fqIWE

Rush are nice guys they paid him a one time royalty even though they didn't have to

More commonly known as the looney tunes theme song I believe.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jun 2 2011, 12:48 AM)

Visage's Fade To Grey

It's not obscure in the UK

It is one of those songs that sticks in the pysche

I wasn't hearing the similarity and then suddenly... wow. Stunning. They should have given credit where it was due at the time, but perhaps they only meant it as an homage.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jun 2 2011, 01:13 PM)

I wasn't hearing the similarity and then suddenly... wow. Stunning. They should have given credit where it was due at the time, but perhaps they only meant it as an homage.

I think Alex said at one point he heard the tune as a child and it kinda stuck with him. When they wrote LVS he wasn't consciously aware that it was from another song.