Atheist, Agnostic, or Deist?

IChoseFreeWill

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 3 2011, 01:33 PM)
Your posts rarely do make sense. They are mostly full of tripe. Which makes me wonder why they are worthwhile to you to post them. But hey - if that is all you need to feel like you've accomplished something, you're a daily success. Good for you, lil girl. smile.gif

They make me laugh.

They get a response from cranky old grids such as you.

Sometimes they make other people laugh - for the right reasons.

What more can a (supposed) Troll want?

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Jun 3 2011, 09:46 AM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 3 2011, 01:33 PM)
Your posts rarely do make sense.  They are mostly full of tripe.  Which makes me wonder why they are worthwhile to you to post them.  But hey - if that is all you need to feel like you've accomplished something, you're a daily success.  Good for you, lil girl. smile.gif

They make me laugh.

They get a response from cranky old grids such as you.

Sometimes they make other people laugh - for the right reasons.

What more can a (supposed) Troll want?

I'm a happier guy than you think I am, apparently. It's amazing that your awful attempts at humor equates to me being cranky. laugh.gif but okay...

Edited by tick

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Jun 3 2011, 08:30 AM)

Well being as your Founding Fathers were full of hypocrisy, cant and general bullshit, then I'm sure they would have clapped in Irons a loyal British subject from the bright Dominion of Canadia to be.

Remember Merkins, there's a whole world out there that doesn't give a shit about your founding fathers. Founding Fathers who sure as eggs is eggs would have loathed Rock Music.

"A writer I have long admired and often quoted, Wallace Stenger, wrote that national parks were "the best idea we ever had. Absolutely American, absolutely democratic, they reflect us at our best rather than our worst." America's only other comparable idea, perhaps, was philanthropy - another great invention that was unknown to wealthy Europeans (reluctant alms-givers at best, and their only "parks" were private hunting estates, where the entry fee for commoners was, oh, death). Europe had the Quakers to protest slavery, and the suffragettes to demand the vote for women, but the United States led the way in every cause you can think of where rich people helped poor people willingly and generously. The roots of the word philanthropy are "love" and "mankind," and the concept also reflected a "morality of wealth," as expressed by perhaps the first and greatest of philanthropists, Andrew Carnegie: "To die rich is to die disgraced."

"National parks and philanthropy are certainly grand visions that speak eloquently of the magnanimity of America - its greatness of spirit. As agents for change, Americans set an example that the rest of the world, to a greater or lesser extent, has followed. We could always use more philanthropists, but today there are national parks in England, Tanzania, Switzerland, South Africa, Great Britain, Australia, Canada, and many other countries."

Neil Peart

Far And Away, 2011

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jun 3 2011, 03:09 PM)

Well being as your Founding Fathers were full of hypocrisy, cant and general bullshit, then I'm sure they would have clapped in Irons a loyal British subject from the bright Dominion of Canadia to be.

Remember Merkins, there's a whole world out there that doesn't give a shit about your founding fathers. Founding Fathers who sure as eggs is eggs would have loathed Rock Music.

"A writer I have long admired and often quoted, Wallace Stenger, wrote that national parks were "the best idea we ever had. Absolutely American, absolutely democratic, they reflect us at our best rather than our worst." America's only other comparable idea, perhaps, was philanthropy - another great invention that was unknown to wealthy Europeans (reluctant alms-givers at best, and their only "parks" were private hunting estates, where the entry fee for commoners was, oh, death). Europe had the Quakers to protest slavery, and the suffragettes to demand the vote for women, but the United States led the way in every cause you can think of where rich people helped poor people willingly and generously. The roots of the word philanthropy are "love" and "mankind," and the concept also reflected a "morality of wealth," as expressed by perhaps the first and greatest of philanthropists, Andrew Carnegie: "To die rich is to die disgraced."

"National parks and philanthropy are certainly grand visions that speak eloquently of the magnanimity of America - its greatness of spirit. As agents for change, Americans set an example that the rest of the world, to a greater or lesser extent, has followed. We could always use more philanthropists, but today there are national parks in England, Tanzania, Switzerland, South Africa, Great Britain, Australia, Canada, and many other countries."

Neil Peart

Far And Away, 2011

Ah, bless Neil Purt, that most ignorant of intellectual drummers.

Hey Neal, live for yourself, there's no one else more worth living for. You two faced TIT!!!!

I suggest you read aboot, well, let's say: Joseph Rowntree, The Cadbury's of Bourneville, Titus Salt, William Wilbeforce, David Gilmour etc. etc.

Edited by Cosy Toes

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Jun 3 2011, 07:05 PM)

Neil Peart

Far And Away, 2011

Hey Neal, live for yourself, there's no one else more worth living for. You two faced TIT!!!!

I suggest you read aboot, well, let's say: Joseph Rowntree, The Cadbury's of Bourneville, Titus Salt, William Wilbeforce, David Gilmour etc. etc.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/abe_simpson2-1.png

"That's right Twinkle Toes, you tell 'em! I like the cut of your jib. Neil Peart is a phony, and so are my teeth, but I can still eat corn on the cob, if someone cuts it off and smushes it into a fine paste. Now that's good eatin'! But yeah, you tell 'em Nosey Hoes, I'm filled with piss and vinegar too! At first, I was just filled with vinegar. But.. where was I. Anyway, about my washtub...I just used it that morning to wash my turkey, which in those days was known as a 'walking bird'. We'd always have walking bird on Thanksgiving with all the trimmings: cranberries, Injun eyes, yams stuffed with gunpowder. Then we'd all watch football, which in those days was called 'baseball'. I..."

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/abeGrandpaSnoring.jpg

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 4 2011, 05:22 AM)
QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Jun 3 2011, 07:05 PM)

Neil Peart

Far And Away, 2011

"That's right Twinkle Toes, you tell 'em! I like the cut of your jib. Neil Peart is a phony, and so are my teeth, but I can still eat corn on the cob, if someone cuts it off and smushes it into a fine paste. Now that's good eatin'! But yeah, you tell 'em Nosey Hoes, I'm filled with piss and vinegar too! At first, I was just filled with vinegar. But.. where was I. Anyway, about my washtub...I just used it that morning to wash my turkey, which in those days was known as a 'walking bird'. We'd always have walking bird on Thanksgiving with all the trimmings: cranberries, Injun eyes, yams stuffed with gunpowder. Then we'd all watch football, which in those days was called 'baseball'. I..."

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Perfect.

"Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the toilet..."

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 4 2011, 09:22 AM)

icon_really_happy_guy.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif

That RULED! laugh.gif trink39.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Jun 3 2011, 04:50 AM)
Sure as Eggs is Eggs they'd have claooed him in irons and had him working on their plantations.

Toes!

Get a grip man. The 'P' is next to the 'O' on a 'Western' keyboard. Get it right!

Think on this:

One typo-related contradiction is bad enough from your position (re: 'Neal'/'Neil' in the 'Remember when VT was Crap' thread).

Two are worrying: 'claooed him in irons' above.

Three will make a pattern...

just callin it like I see...

cozy is a toad

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 1 2011, 07:54 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 1 2011, 09:52 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jun 1 2011, 07:24 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 31 2011, 04:20 PM)
As long as the music is great, i don't give a rats ass

Great like Snakes And Arrows? laugh.gif

comp26.gif laugh.gif

Still hasn't grown on you yet, huh? laugh.gif

it grew on me as a steaming pile several years ago.... wink.gif

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Jun 3 2011, 04:50 AM)
QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jun 3 2011, 06:05 AM)
Neil's views are obvious before the tragedy (Freewill, Cold Fire, Ghost of a Chance, Prime Mover, Bet Your Life, Circumstances) .  They are views I share and which shaped my life as an enlightened individual, and views which I believe not only our Founding Fathers but many more pragmatic philosphers would espouse.  But that's neither here nor there.

WTF has anything Neil ever wrote got to do with the "Founding Fathers"?

Sure as Eggs is Eggs they'd have claooed him in irons and had him working on their plantations.

Kids, if you want to run your lives based on the musings of a Canadian lyricist then listen to Canadia's finest - LIPS!!!!!!!!!

Note I mentioned not only the Founding Fathers but other philosophers in that sentence. I don't suppose that by "WTF" you are sincere in asking for an answer to your question...

Hmm, let's see, what's the common thread between the OP, Neil, Founding Fathers, and several espoused philosophers?

Some hints: Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Ayn Rand, Bertrand Russell, Chomsky, Hume, Karl Popper, Volatire, Jean-Paul Sartre, John Stuart Mill

Thomas Jefferson took a razor blade to the Bible and sliced out every reference to miracles.

James Madison:

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."

John Adams:

"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it."

George Washington:

Historian Barry Schwartz writes: "George Washington's practice of Christianity was limited and superficial because he was not himself a Christian... He repeatedly declined the church's sacraments. Never did he take communion, and when his wife, Martha, did, he waited for her outside the sanctuary... Even on his deathbed, Washington asked for no ritual, uttered no prayer to Christ, and expressed no wish to be attended by His representative."

Benjamin Franklin:

". . . Some books against Deism fell into my hands. . . It happened that they wrought an effect on my quite contrary to what was intended by them; for the arguments of the Deists, which were quoted to be refuted, appeared to me much stronger than the refutations; in short, I soon became a thorough Deist."

Abraham Lincoln:

"The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my profession."

http://freethought.mbdojo.com/foundingfathers.html

So contrary to popular opinion, the boys of Rush are NOT atheists.

At the very least, they are agnostic.

On a good day, they may even be Deists.

And Deists can come from any religious tradition they were raised in. I was raised Roman Catholic by a VERY devout family- but I cannot deal with all the guilt, rituals, guilt, some rules that make no sense, guilt, its not being our choice (the Spanish Inquisition forced it upon the ancestors), and did I mention guilt?

Atheism is way too pessimistic and negative for me. Deism is much more optimistic.