Keyboards aren't real!

staunchally

The synths saved Rush . Rush at the time was able to steer away from harder music and circumnavigate the guitarismo machismo of the late 80s and early 90s . from signals to HYF . HYF was as far as I could handle Rush in a synth heavy sound and I love synthesizers . I play them and I play guitar also . and I can honestly say as much as I love keys I wandered away from Rush for a period until Counterparts . I never left as a fan completely but I didn't attend concerts after signals . counterparts was my first rush concert after signals . say what you want about they keyboard era to me the big money is a masterpiece . I think Rush's best song .

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 24 2011, 12:32 AM)
And Alex is right, they aren't real. Also, they are the devil to rock music.

Wow. In one fell swoop of ignorance you've completely dismissed some of the best ROCK songs of all time. Not to mention some of the best musicians and bands in ROCK.

The next time you have a thought...just let it go. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ May 22 2011, 06:20 AM)
I think he was being facetious. Lighten up, guys. laugh.gif

What she said .. Lerxst - 80% goofball, 20% serious

I'm no fan of the heavy synth stuff on (shudders) HYF. My personal opinion is that they lost their way big time on that album, strayed too far from their roots.

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ May 25 2011, 02:31 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ May 22 2011, 06:20 AM)
I think he was being facetious. Lighten up, guys.  laugh.gif

What she said .. Lerxst - 80% goofball, 20% serious

I'm no fan of the heavy synth stuff on (shudders) HYF. My personal opinion is that they lost their way big time on that album, strayed too far from their roots.

I don't get how "straying too far from their roots" is a genuine complaint about a bands work. By this logic, AC/DC is the greatest band of all time. Rather than respect the fact that the band, heaven forbid, changed up their sound once in a while, we instead complain that not every album sounds the exact same. Technically the bands "roots" come from that Led Zeppelin-esque crap off the first album and very few of us want that.

QUOTE (nealpert @ May 23 2011, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE (staunchally @ May 21 2011, 07:13 PM)
Watching BTLS now and am struck by Alex saying "Keyboards aren't real". Alex's setup is purely electronic. Are only acoustic instruments real? What is he saying?

This post influenced by beer trink38.gif

If you think a guitar string is purely electronic maybe you should drink more beer

I said his setup. I think it's a good analogy.

QUOTE (Boyd @ May 25 2011, 12:57 AM)

Wow. In one fell swoop of ignorance you've completely dismissed some of the best ROCK songs of all time. Not to mention some of the best musicians and bands in ROCK.

I see where you are going with this and that you are trying to be funny, but I don't think sarcasm translates well when typing. In the end, I think a lot of fans agree with my opinion about keyboards not being very rock and roll

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 26 2011, 08:14 PM)
QUOTE (Boyd @ May 25 2011, 12:57 AM)

I see where you are going with this and that you are trying to be funny, but I don't think sarcasm translates well when typing. In the end, I think a lot of fans agree with my opinion about keyboards not being very rock and roll

Keyboards/synths are only valuable to rock if used in the right way. Yes was/is spectacular at using them to their full potential, as was Pink Floyd. But yes, synths as used by Rush 1982-87 were not very rock-and-roll.

But I do think sarcasm can translate to text. Especially if you use the eyesre4.gif emoticon.

well, for the most part I think they did very well with keys for the most part. there are exceptions and the fact that it did get to a point that bothered Alex. I also think he made up for his lacking in the mixes on stage, and of course with these last few records. And I was one of those fans that got very angry at their prominence back then as I was becoming a major metal head. But I only fought it for so long, and eventually opened up to it, adding a different level of appreciation.