The Mars Volta

trenken

I first found out about them through Neil's site, he's a big fan of theirs.

I got into them I guess about 2 years ago, and they really remind me of old Rush, except that they are far more complex than Rush ever was, but not in a like a corny robotic lifeless way that Dream Theater is, but in much more of an experimental way. Tons of really crazy odd time signatures.

They used to do a lot of longer songs, 10,20 and even 30 minute songs, but are starting to get into shorter stuff. REALLY good musicians, very creative, very cryptic lyrics, and a LOT of variety across their 6 albums. To me these guys seem like the closest thing to what Rush used to be.

I guess in some ways they're kind of like Tool, but TMVs singer is much more of a real singer than Tool's, he sings very high like Geddy used to, and overall they just have better melodies and better musicians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5HGnfqWAUE

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 19 2011, 03:36 PM)
They're a great band. Octahedron is excellent. My only complaint is the singer. I can't stand his voice but the rest of the band makes up for it.

Hehe, people said the same things about Geddy when Rush came out. You get used to it. Its just the he sings so high sometimes, people arent used to that.

I heard a few tracks from "Deloused in the Comatorium" and I wasn't that impressed but I head "The Widow" from "Frances The Mute" and ended up buying the album, which I love very much. I have not ventured further though as money has been very short over the last couple of years.

QUOTE (Imaginos @ May 19 2011, 03:42 PM)
I heard a few tracks from "Deloused in the Comatorium" and I wasn't that impressed but I head "The Widow" from "Frances The Mute" and ended up buying the album, which I love very much. I have not ventured further though as money has been very short over the last couple of years.

Yeah Deloused was their first real album, so they were still trying to figure out what they were doing. Got a lot better with Frances, but The Bedlam In Goliath is probably my favorite.

After that they put out an album called Octahedron and its very quiet, lots of acoustic stuff on it, its a hit or miss album. I love it but some hate it.

After Frances they put out an album called Amputecture, which I dont love. There's some great stuff on it, its just not solid all the way through. They were really starting to get too weird, so the toned it down a bit with Bedlam.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 19 2011, 05:19 PM)
I need to listen to them soon, but money is tight. For modern "prog" though I think I'm already very attached to PT and Tool.

I like both of those bands, but I think TMV is significantly better than both. Tool is huge because they are creative, and they've been around forever, but as far as song writers and musicians I just dont think they're as good.

QUOTE (trenken @ May 19 2011, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 19 2011, 05:19 PM)
I need to listen to them soon, but money is tight. For modern "prog" though I think I'm already very attached to PT and Tool.

I like both of those bands, but I think TMV is significantly better than both. Tool is huge because they are creative, and they've been around forever, but as far as song writers and musicians I just dont think they're as good.

But I like them for sentimental reasons and memories laugh.gif but danny carry is a beast. I've heard TMV and I agree their great from what i heard but i didn't connect rough and so I never looked into them. But i plan on it when I get money. I'm rather excited to hear them.

One of my all-time favorite bands.

Have to go with Frances the Mute as my favorite, followed by De-Loused and Amputechture (underrated IMO).

I also really enjoy the 1st half of Bedlam, & a few songs on the 2nd side but overall I think it's too long.

Octahedron is my least favorite & it's pretty boring but has 4 really good tunes on it.

Huge fan of all their drummers too...

Friggin' love TMV. (See my avatar) Been a fan since they were still "At the Drive In" (well, half of them, at least.) In all honesty, they may actually be my favorite band, tying with Rush, of course. I've seen them live 4 times now, and their technical proficiency and stamina is astounding. They're like a modern day Rush/King Crimson.

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ May 19 2011, 07:43 PM)
Friggin' love TMV. (See my avatar) Been a fan since they were still "At the Drive In" (well, half of them, at least.) In all honesty, they may actually be my favorite band, tying with Rush, of course. I've seen them live 4 times now, and their technical proficiency and stamina is astounding. They're like a modern day Rush/King Crimson.

I wasnt a huge fan of At The Drive In. I could tell they had talent but it didnt really blosson until they broke out of that and started doing modern prog stuff.

The thing I love about them is as Dream Theater is a very tightly structured band with a bunch of schooled musicians, these guys are a lot more raw, but just as good in a more emotional and energetic kind of way, if you know what I mean. And at the point im at now I really like that stuff a lot more than DT's sterile lifeless music.

I think one of my favorite songs from them has to be Metatron.

Love the breakdown part at around 3:10. Really off time stuff. As a musician I love that shit. Rush did it a lot, but not nearly to the extend that TMV does it.

I think the thing thats most interesting about them is their use of off key notes and chord progressions. Omar their guitarist is great at making these work in their songs. Its an areas Rush never really explored that deeply. Maybe its more of a modern thing that wasnt done much in the 70s?

Edited by trenken

Can't stand em. Too much soulless, technical wankery without enough space for the music to breathe. It's simply overkill. Most of the time less is more. I find them to be largely emotionless and unmelodic, lacking in restraint and feel. The lyrics are total nonsense. So yeah they're completely unlike Rush.

I saw them ilive in Australia in 2010...some very cool, Zeppelin-like moments, awesome guitar solos, screeeeching vocals all the way, and some moments of plain noise. The whole concert was like an acid trip, but a good one!!!! But I think it's one of those bands that is best to be experienced live than in your living room.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jan 17 2012, 02:26 PM)
I saw them ilive in Australia in 2010...some very cool, Zeppelin-like moments, awesome guitar solos, screeeeching vocals all the way, and some moments of plain noise. The whole concert was like an acid trip, but a good one!!!! But I think it's one of those bands that is best to be experienced live than in your living room.

I've always thought exactly the opposite. They are too much of a "jam" band live for me, going off on too many tangents. I really get into their studio work though. However, there's so much going on that it takes a LOOOOOOONG time to sink in. Once you've given a new TMV album the requisite amount of time, it turns out to be a truly rewarding experience.

Can't wait for the new one!!

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 19 2011, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ May 19 2011, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 19 2011, 05:19 PM)

But I like them for sentimental reasons and memories laugh.gif but danny carry is a beast. I've heard TMV and I agree their great from what i heard but i didn't connect rough and so I never looked into them. But i plan on it when I get money. I'm rather excited to hear them.

laugh.gif

Silly me, now I love TMV.

On par with Tool, PT, and Opeth for me in the modern prog world.

I just love de-loused though, I don't care if it's the most famous or not, it's my favorite album and a top ten for me. Roulette Dares and Eriatarka are some of the most beautiful songs ever to me.

Frances is second for me. The guitar solo during the 29/16 (I think) bit is musical orgasm.

Then Octahedron.

And then Bedlam and then Amputechture.

But they're an amazing band for me, I'm pumped for this new album. 1022.gif