From RIAB

D3strukt

If this is any indication, we're in for a real nice treat!

... "I feel a certain urgency, I really want to get that record made while I'm still able to," he says. "It was hard for me to set the album aside to tour, this really means a lot to me, I intend it to be my highest achievement lyrically and drumming wise, so I really want to get it done while we still can."

"Nick is a very bad influence," Peart continues. "He wants us to be more Rush than we are, it's wonderful, he pushes me in ways I wouldn't dare. In the middle of Caravan there's a ridiculous fill and it was Nick who wanted me to go all the way down the toms and back up again and once I'd done it, my comment was, 'I'm so ashamed!'," he laughs. "He was in the studio outlining his idea to me, and Geddy's sitting down next to us and he looks up over his glasses and says, 'Oh, he wants to make you famous'. I would have never have proposed some of Nick's arrangement ideas to my bandmates, I'm not that brash, we're not that brash ... we're Canadians." ...

He goes on to talk about the band's longevity, Moving Pictures and the Rush documentary Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage - which he still hasn't watched yet because of some of the more difficult subject matter involving the untimely death of his daughter and wife in the late 90's that are discussed in the film. He doesn't like to be reminded of those events which were also brought up in an extensive CNN interview with the band last year:

... [the interview] was supposed to be, we thought, a nice light-hearted chat in front of the stage. But even when they've been asked not to, interviewers feel compelled to ask what they think the tough questions are. It's agonizing for me, it's horrible. Why do that? I know they want me to break down on camera because it'll make great footage, but it doesn't make me feel very good. I tried to steer them gracefully away from it as best I could, and I gave them a bit of stick about it later too." ...

Neil then remarks on the band's surge in popularity in the last few years, specifically their appearance in the I Love You Man movie and guest spot on The Colbert Report, where some backstage footage was shot of the band playing (badly) their own song Tom Sawyer on the Rock Band video game:

... "I sucked so bad at that game, it was perfect," says Peart. 'That game was wrong, though, I was playing the right drum part, it had the wrong one, I swear!" ...

There's also a short interview with Geddy Lee titled Oh My God! It Goes On Forever! where Geddy discusses the Moving Pictures 30th anniversary deluxe edition and gives his opinions on the 5.1 format:

... For me, [5.1 is] the complete opposite of downloading a song as an MP3. I don't care what anyone says, those things sound like crap compared to the original. People say that you can't tell the difference, but you're listening on these stupid little ear buds, so what the f**k? It does sound worse. So yeah, 5.1 is the antithesis of all that. The only way to hear it is in a big room with all the right equipment. It's kind of nice to go against the grain like that." ...

Geddy on re-learning the fan-favorite epic track from Moving Pictures - The Camera Eye:

... I was really gritting my teeth before we set out to learn that song. Alex and I were sitting in my studio at home and we were listening to it, saying Oh my god, it goes on forever! What the hell were we thinking? So we very judiciously eliminated a minute and a half of its 12 minutes. But little did we know how difficult it would be to learn a 12-minute song that suddenly became a 10-and-a-half minute song, because the edits were so subtle that they were harder for us to learn. It really would have been easier to just play the whole damn thing! Ha ha!" ...

Rounding out the Rush feature is a very enlightening article/interview with Geddy Lee discussing Rush's upcoming Clockwork Angels album:

... "We have about six songs finished and waiting to go into preproduction and then be recorded. We've been kind of afraid to go back to them, because we don't want to start f**king around with them, we liked them at the time. We're very obsessive about fiddling with our own music, so we just said Okay, let's leave them in that state until we're ready to get more serious.

"Alex and I tried to do some writing on this break." Geddy continues. "We've had three months, so we thought Okay, so maybe we should get all of the rest of the record finished ... but Neil just had a baby last year and he needed to use that time to be a dad and to be domestic, and he didn't want to uproot and get into this intense writing session, and that was totally cool. So Alex and I have been getting together regularly and jamming, and now we have a lot of good material just lying around in suspended animation." ...

... "We're going in a conceptual direction on this record, for sure," says Lee. "We started with a 10-minute song idea that then turned into a concept and it's feeding off itself. It's like that question that Steven Colbert asked us in the movie. Are your songs so long that by the end you're influencing yourself? I think we're doing that now. We're like a feedback loop, influencing ourselves now. We're spending so much time on this concept. It's been fun, because we haven't gone down that road in a while. Let's see if we can pull it off!" ... "It's not just the fans! We're hoping for another great Rush album ourselves!" ...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (D3strukt @ May 5 2011, 07:51 PM)
If this is any indication, we're in for a real nice treat!

Link... or I call "Shenanigans!"

Edited by Huge Ackman

Just got my copy yesterday! What really intrigues me is that it says on page 44 that Clockwork Angels will be accompanied by its own graphic novel, yet gives no details in the article.

Sounds like Neil won't be giving any more TV interviews for a while, at least on CNN! And that I should redouble my efforts to get to Rush shows next tour, in case any one of them decides he no longer can tour. I don't want to even think about it being the last, but I'd better.

Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (D3strukt @ May 5 2011, 09:51 PM)
... [the interview] was supposed to be, we thought, a nice light-hearted chat in front of the stage. But even when they've been asked not to, interviewers feel compelled to ask what they think the tough questions are. It's agonizing for me, it's horrible. Why do that? I know they want me to break down on camera because it'll make great footage, but it doesn't make me feel very good. I tried to steer them gracefully away from it as best I could, and I gave them a bit of stick about it later too." ...

yeah Neil... God forbid you actually show some emotion and act like a human being.

i kind of side with Neil though. if they've asked the interviewer to not bring it up, it's kind of rude. how much more detail do we need on the situation? well, let's see, the people he cared about most both died in the same year, how would YOU feel? no need to keep dredging it up. the past is the past, just leave it be.

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 5 2011, 11:53 PM)

yeah Neil... God forbid you actually show some emotion and act like a human being.

Why is it hard for you to accept that the death of someone's entire f**king family might be kinda tough to talk about on CNN? Not everybody can do that, and that seems pretty "human" to me.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 6 2011, 12:18 AM)

Why is it hard for you to accept that the death of someone's entire f**king family might be kinda tough to talk about on CNN? Not everybody can do that, and that seems pretty "human" to me.

+ how many dudes want to cry on national tv?

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 5 2011, 11:37 PM)

people forget Neil is no ordinary person, he's been in the "limelight" for most of his life. That's the price of fame and fortune... you give up most of your privacy.

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 5 2011, 11:41 PM)

people forget Neil is no ordinary person, he's been in the "limelight" for most of his life. That's the price of fame and fortune... you give up most of your privacy.

There is not really an obligation though; a price...sure. But he is a person and has the right to not talk about something like that, okay?

Geez...

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 6 2011, 12:41 AM)

well.. no its not, not if you dont want to...

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 5 2011, 11:44 PM)

I guess not... but then you have people on internet message boards calling you an asshole tongue.gif

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 6 2011, 12:45 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 5 2011, 11:44 PM)

I guess not... but then you have people on internet message boards calling you an asshole tongue.gif

laugh.gif trink39.gif

I have so much empathy for Neil.....after all he's been through(which most bashers won't experience in their lifetime) still pushing the boundaries of his instrument and soldering on. Boo Hoo.... I don't like his lyrics about religion. Walk a mile in his shoes. Can we just delete all these ridiculous threads now?

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 6 2011, 12:56 AM)
I have so much empathy for Neil.....after all he's been through(which most bashers won't experience in their lifetime) still pushing the boundaries of his instrument and soldering on. Boo Hoo.... I don't like his lyrics about religion. Walk a mile in his shoes. Can we just delete all these ridiculous threads now?

I have friends who have been through much worse than Neil, and they're nowhere near as bitter and grumpy as he is. Some people prefer to focus on the positive and not let their circumstances get the best of them.

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 6 2011, 01:01 AM)

I have friends who have been through much worse than Neil, and they're nowhere near as bitter and grumpy as he is. Some people prefer to focus on the positive and not let their circumstances get the best of them.

Bitter and grumpy? I guess you know him personally.

That sucks that the question in the interview was basically a sucker punch. This is the very reason the guy never does these types of interviews anymore, and you get him to do one and instantly punish him for it? Real good. I know there was some speculation at the time it came out that since the band had a friendly relationship with that reporter - he's done interviews with them for years and was also in the documentary - that maybe they were prepared for it. Apparently not, and I wonder if they're still so friendly.

"Nick is a very bad influence," Peart continues. "He wants us to be more Rush than we are, it's wonderful, he pushes me in ways I wouldn't dare. In the middle of Caravan there's a ridiculous fill and it was Nick who wanted me to go all the way down the toms and back up again and once I'd done it, my comment was, 'I'm so ashamed!'," he laughs. "He was in the studio outlining his idea to me, and Geddy's sitting down next to us and he looks up over his glasses and says, 'Oh, he wants to make you famous'. I would have never have proposed some of Nick's arrangement ideas to my bandmates, I'm not that brash, we're not that brash ... we're Canadians."

This is really what I love to hear, and gets me even more excited for the album. This kind of thing proves that Nick R is a very, very positive influence indeed.

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 6 2011, 02:01 AM)

Well, your friends aren't Neil, are they? They're different people with different personalities. Part of being "human beings" as you put it earlier is reacting differently to certain situations, and handling tragedy in different ways. It's really not that hard to understand.

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 5 2011, 10:53 PM)

They didn't go there to have a "let's show how human NEP can be" piece, the reasons were completely selfish by saying we won't go there and did because the interviewer knew it would make HIS OR HER piece seem better and garner the INTERVIEWER accolades not glorifying NEP's humanity.

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 6 2011, 01:01 AM)

Suuuuure you have "friends" (I should leave it at that) who've been through worse 'cuz Neils circumstances are sooooo common people who've been through worse just crawl out of the woodwork. (For those reading this other than Seamus, I know there actually are people who've been through worse but SW doesn't know anyone who has.)

And if your "friends" really do exist and your not actually being them, you really have no idea at all how they really feel.

waffen093.gif SW

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

QUOTE (Oracle @ May 5 2011, 11:06 PM)
Come here.

I want that magazine. yes.gif

http://www.rushisaband.com/images/201104/1884.f.jpg

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 6 2011, 02:57 AM)
QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 6 2011, 02:01 AM)

Well, your friends aren't Neil, are they? They're different people with different personalities. Part of being "human beings" as you put it earlier is reacting differently to certain situations, and handling tragedy in different ways. It's really not that hard to understand.

Great statement. Thank you for that.