Why teachers are important

HowItIs

A picture is worth...

user posted image

The irony! It burns! rofl3.gif

Text-speak? I hardly call internet shorthand a form of communication. School is important, teachers are the muscles of the school. Anyone who thinks that teachers aren't important should be sentenced to a year's worth of community service on the charge of supreme ignorance.

(perhaps it goes without saying) but it's 'good' teachers who are important

and to increase the 'good' teachers to 'bad' teachers ratio in 'good's' favor, we've got to get rid of the teacher's unions

There were spelling and grammar errors on a poster for a club once, and my English teacher (9th and 11th grades) went over and wrote the "Stylebook Corrections" in big sharpie on it (which are codes for various errors in writing). It was actually pretty hilarious. laugh.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 5 2011, 05:34 PM)
There were spelling and grammar errors on a poster for a club once, and my English teacher (9th and 11th grades) went over and wrote the "Stylebook Corrections" in big sharpie on it (which are codes for various errors in writing). It was actually pretty hilarious. laugh.gif

There is a Sonic here and when they were advertising larger chicken strips, they wrote "NOW WITH MORE BIGGER PIECES!"

I had to tell them to correct it. If they were giving more chicken, and the pieces of chicken were larger, then it would've made more sense. But no; still three strips, just a little larger.

At a gas station, a cash register was closed. They put "this cashier is close," on a piece of paper next to the register. I waited there until the lady told me to go to the other line. My response? Well...

"But this cash register is closer to me, and that's what it says? That's why I am here!"

not to sound racist or anything, but I think the growing influx of Hispanic immigrants with very little knowledge of the English language is probably one of the biggest contributors to this problem. It's getting to the point where I can't even order a hamburger without having to point at a picture on the menu because the woman taking my order can't understand me.

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 5 2011, 07:38 PM)
not to sound racist or anything, but I think the growing influx of Hispanic immigrants with very little knowledge of the English language is probably one of the biggest contributors to this problem. It's getting to the point where I can't even order a hamburger without having to point at a picture on the menu because the woman taking my order can't understand me.

I'm Hispanic and I agree with this.

Hispanic immigrants have nothing to do with the decline of correct grammar usage and spelling, as these are matters of written English - not spoken English. I live in an area of 99% caucasian people, and many of my friends' and co-workers' use horrible grammar and spelling.

The cause is apathy in students, their parents and in our schools. Correct spelling and grammar are NOT emphasized very often. Not nearly as often as "back in the day".... Same goes for cursive handwriting......

There are even movements for "creative spelling" and for eliminating the apostrophe.....the APOSTROPHE, for Christ's sake!! These people don't want to take the time to actually LEARN how and when to use it, so they want to just ignore it! 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 5 2011, 08:10 PM)

Hispanic immigrants have nothing to do with the decline of correct grammar usage and spelling, as these are matters of written English - not spoken English. I live in an area of 99% caucasian people, and many of my friends' and co-workers' use horrible grammar and spelling.

The cause is apathy in students, their parents and in our schools. Correct spelling and grammar are NOT emphasized very often. Not nearly as often as "back in the day".... Same goes for cursive handwriting......

There are even movements for "creative spelling" and for eliminating the apostrophe.....the APOSTROPHE, for Christ's sake!! These people don't want to take the time to actually LEARN how and when to use it, so they want to just ignore it! 062802puke_prv.gif

I didn't mean to say it was the ONLY reason, just that it does seem to be a part of the problem. I live in southern California so it's probably more noticeable here than in other parts of the country. Obviously native English speakers are also at fault for failing to learn proper spelling and grammar.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ May 5 2011, 02:03 PM)
(perhaps it goes without saying) but it's 'good' teachers who are important

and to increase the 'good' teachers to 'bad' teachers ratio in 'good's' favor, we've got to get rid of the teacher's unions

goodpost.gif

And maybe if teachers focused on teaching spelling and grammar instead of on whatever fad the educational establishment tries to force on them, the spelling and grammar of the products of their education would be able to spell correctly and use proper grammar.

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 5 2011, 08:59 PM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 5 2011, 08:10 PM)

I didn't mean to say it was the ONLY reason, just that it does seem to be a part of the problem. I live in southern California so it's probably more noticeable here than in other parts of the country. Obviously native English speakers are also at fault for failing to learn proper spelling and grammar.

I understand what you mean, but as a former language teacher, I cannot stress enough how much spoken language differs from written language.

Communicating poorly with a Hispanic waitress is much more a matter of phonetics and accents than grammar and spelling. We could all be supremely literate and still have trouble holding a simple conversation. Ever talk to someone from coastal Maine or Pennsylvania Dutch country? Good luck with that..... laugh.gif But if he writes down what he wants to say, you'll communicate perfectly ....

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 5 2011, 05:40 PM)

There is a Sonic here and when they were advertising larger chicken strips, they wrote "NOW WITH MORE BIGGER PIECES!"

I had to tell them to correct it. If they were giving more chicken, and the pieces of chicken were larger, then it would've made more sense. But no; still three strips, just a little larger.

At a gas station, a cash register was closed. They put "this cashier is close," on a piece of paper next to the register. I waited there until the lady told me to go to the other line. My response? Well...

"But this cash register is closer to me, and that's what it says? That's why I am here!"

I also heard of another incident where the aforementioned teacher was at a store and saw a "10 items or less" sign.

A week later it was changed to "10 items or fewer".

God bless our English teachers. laugh.gif I may never use math or chemistry again, but what would we do without those who teach us the Language Arts!

QUOTE (CMWriter @ May 5 2011, 11:07 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 5 2011, 05:40 PM)

I also heard of another incident where the aforementioned teacher was at a store and saw a "10 items or less" sign.

A week later it was changed to "10 items or fewer".

God bless our English teachers. laugh.gif I may never use math or chemistry again, but what would we do without those who teach us the Language Arts!

angry.gif math and chemistry are as awesome as English!