..from the cask of '43

GeminiRising79

Was that lifted straight from the EgoDeath website or did you come up with that yourself? Are you Michael Hoffman?

Nonsense. Hoffman's whole LSD theory regarding (nearly) the complete Rush catalog... nonsense!

When did Rush stop using psychedelics? I'll answer with a different question: when did they start? Neil's confessed to a very few acid trips in his life, but that's it. No evidence that Geddy or Alex has ever taken acid, and only a few acid trips for Neil. From that, Hoffman extrapolates that every song Neil wrote, from Fly By Night to Grace Under Pressure and even a few after GUP, have been about LSD and the "disassociative" phenomena one encounters while taking LSD. (Hoffman has a built-in counter-argument to anyone who points out that what Neil says in interviews disagrees with Hoffman's thesis. Hoffman says, on those occassions, Neil is intentionally saying the OPPOSITE of what is true, in order to throw people off the scent. Ummm... okay. So when Neil's words AMPLIFY your thesis he's telling the truth, and when Neil's words NEGATE your thesis he's just lying? Using that bullshit trick, Neil ALWAYS supports your argument! Clever trick; too bad it's completely ridiculous.)

EDIT: By the way, this theory of yours and Michael Hoffman's - that "cask of '43" refers to when LSD was invented - doesn't hold water on its very face. Albert Hofmann first synthesized LSD in 1938, not 1943, and it became commercially available in 1947. What does 1943 have to do with LSD??? confused13.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz

I never thought about what it meant before. But since Geddy said on BTLS that they were high while making that album, i'm gonna take a wild guess that it's just something Neil came up with while cool10.gif

I thought that all along anyways so at least Geddy finally confirmed it.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 23 2011, 01:46 PM)
It's very obvious to me they've tripped much more than a few times back in their day.

That's your subjective opinion. If it's true, then Neil has lied about his acid use. He's said he's only done it a handful of times.

This is a real "eye/ear of the beholder" thing. Hoffman (and I guess you) WANTS there to be a connection between Rush and LSD, so he finds evidence of it everywhere. People who DON'T believe there's a connection find the opposite. Nobody will ever lack evidence for what they believe; it's the metaphysical way the Universe works, that our beliefs are always supported by experience even when our beliefs contradict each other!

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 23 2011, 02:01 PM)
It's very obvious to me they've tripped much more than a few times back in their day.

That's your subjective opinion. If it's true, then Neil has lied about his acid use. He's said he's only done it a handful of times.

This is a real "eye/ear of the beholder" thing. Hoffman (and I guess you) WANTS there to be a connection between Rush and LSD, so he finds evidence of it everywhere. People who DON'T believe there's a connection find the opposite. Nobody will ever lack evidence for what they believe; it's the metaphysical way the Universe works, that our beliefs are always supported by experience even when our beliefs contradict each other!

It certainly does sound as if Hoffman is pushing his LSD "interests". But, you can't discount that the album is strongly influenced by the experience of its use.

Thanks for your introspective reply, btw.

Another thing: even if we assume Neil has been an enthusiastic acid user his entire life, would he really write 100 songs about it, as Hoffman postulates? confused13.gif Doesn't that seem more than a bit extreme? I mean, I love chess, but I wouldn't refer to it in every song I wrote. wacko.gif

On the Rush documentary, when they talk about caress of steel, Geddy says something "[kiss] didn't get, and to be honest, I don't think we got it either. We must have been pretty high when we wrote the song".

When Rush appeared on Canada AM before the TM tour, the interviewer showed them an old clip of an interview with Geddy Lee (after releasing Moving Pictures) smoking a cigarette in the studio and if memory serves, to which Geddy says "oh wow, was I still smoking then?".

So they WERE doing psychedelics at the time of CoS, up until the very latest Moving Pictures (I would say the interview could be interpreted as the time Geddy Lee stopped smoking plain old cigs).

I think that Permanant Waves/Moving Pictures would be accurate as to when the drugs stopped because I kind of question Alex's statement saying that La Villa was based on a dream. It must have been some crazy epic dream.

And Gemini, I hope you don't really believe the story about that ugly groupie that appeared on rushisaband.com a while back. Her stories are just absurd (especially the one about Bill Clinton).

Edited by usb_connector

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Jan 23 2011, 02:26 PM)
On the Rush documentary, when they talk about caress of steel, Geddy says something "[kiss] didn't get, and to be honest, I don't think we got it either. We must have been pretty high when we wrote the song".

Getting "high" almost always refers to marijuana.

When Rush appeared on Canada AM before the TM tour, the interviewer showed them an old clip of an interview with Geddy Lee (after releasing Moving Pictures) smoking a cigarette in the studio and if memory serves, to which Geddy says "oh wow, was I still smoking then?".

Refers to nicotine cigarettes.

So they WERE doing psychedelics at the time of CoS

Where's the LSD and other "psychedelics" in your above argument? confused13.gif You've only shown evidence that Geddy smoked cigarettes and pot, not that he did acid or other hard drugs.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 23 2011, 10:24 AM)

Another thing: even if we assume Neil has been an enthusiastic acid user his entire life, would he really write 100 songs about it, as Hoffman postulates? confused13.gif Doesn't that seem more than a bit extreme? I mean, I love chess, but I wouldn't refer to it in every song I wrote. wacko.gif

If he were doing acid his entire life. He would have been six feet under a long time ago! laugh.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 23 2011, 02:36 PM)

Where's the LSD and other "psychedelics" in your above argument? confused13.gif You've only shown evidence that Geddy smoked cigarettes and pot, not that he did acid or other hard drugs.

Drugs have never been a major part of my life, so pot and marijuana are in the same category as LSD. The part about cigarettes was just that it was relevant to drugs and part of my rant. Not once have I read/heard of Rush using LSD specifically.

I should have done some research on the topic before posting.

Edited by usb_connector

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Jan 23 2011, 03:21 PM)

Drugs have never been a major part of my life, so pot and marijuana are in the same category as LSD. The part about cigarettes was just that it was relevant to drugs and part of my rant. Not once have I read/heard of Rush using LSD specifically.

From someone who HAS done some research... Neil wrote in "Traveling Music" that he took acid once as a teenager (17-years-old, I think) and then took it again two or three times when he moved to London. It was after his stay in London that he returned to Canada and ended up joining Rush. There's no mention of Neil using LSD after London, and never any mention of Geddy or Alex ever having done it.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Jan 23 2011, 03:21 PM)

if you've ever taken an aspirin or had a cup of coffee, then drugs are a part of your life. For some reason certain drugs have been labeled "bad" because of their widespread abuse, while others get a free pass because they're seen as "harmless". Drugs are drugs, they do different things and affect everyone differently. There was a time in the 50s and 60s when many people thought LSD was a great tool for scientific research. The US and other governments did extensive testing with it on both the military and civilians. Some college professors handed it out during class to "open the minds" of students. Yet when the hippie culture got hold of it, everyone suddenly hated it and it was criminalized.

Was just going to say it's probably whisky related, infact, I opened the thread thinking it was to do with whisky.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jan 23 2011, 06:48 PM)
I never thought about what it meant before. But since Geddy said on BTLS that they were high while making that album, i'm gonna take a wild guess that it's just something Neil came up with while cool10.gif

I thought that all along anyways so at least Geddy finally confirmed it.

Um... I thought Neil did cannabis very early on - where did LSD come from with Alex & Geddy? Please don't jump on me for asking a polite question...

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jan 23 2011, 04:30 PM)
Good lord. It's a cask of wine or some other spirit.

This is the kind of thing that makes Neil's fan paranoia easy to understand.

I was thinking the same thing

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jan 23 2011, 04:30 PM)
Good lord. It's a cask of wine or some other spirit.

This is the kind of thing that makes Neil's fan paranoia easy to understand.

Well this is different. They put this in an artistic work, so Neil should be well prepared for it to be analyzed. They can't think of themselves as serious artists and then balk when someone analyzes the work they've published.

That said, I think 43 just rhymes with memory, so he went with it.