Petition to have Alex return to the Chorus effect

GeminiRising79

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Nov 16 2010, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Nov 12 2010, 02:50 PM)
I'm a cymbal-minded drummer, I don't hear Al's tone quite this deep. Neil's DW's and Paragon's are the fattest sound he's EVER played and do sound awesome! I do have to admit though, I do miss the thick, fat sound of Ged's Rickenbacker bass, especially because Ged's a finger player, not a pick player.

At the recent London Q and A with Geddy he was asked about using the Rick again. He said that the Jazz sounds so good to him that he can't see the Rick being used anytime soon.

Is he playing mostly for himself or his audience? Who should he cater more to? Be more purist and bring back authenticity to the music.

You can bet that $$ is somewhere rooted in the equation for using the Fender over the Rick..

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Nov 17 2010, 12:17 PM)
I'm a cymbal-minded drummer, I don't hear Al's tone quite this deep. Neil's DW's and Paragon's are the fattest sound he's EVER played and do sound awesome! I do have to admit though, I do miss the thick, fat sound of Ged's Rickenbacker bass, especially because Ged's a finger player, not a pick player.

At the recent London Q and A with Geddy he was asked about using the Rick again. He said that the Jazz sounds so good to him that he can't see the Rick being used anytime soon.

Is he playing mostly for himself or his audience? Who should he cater more to? Be more purist and bring back authenticity to the music.

You can bet that $$ is somewhere rooted in the equation for using the Fender over the Rick..

Their entire career has been based on playing and writing what they want. It shouldn't be any other way.

Trying to please everyone leaves to compromise and failure.

If artists cannot please themselves first then they should just give up.

Lol no.

Geddy likes his Fender now. End of discussion. He explains his tone in several interviews and WHY he likes the Fender better.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Nov 17 2010, 08:11 PM)
I think Alex's best chorus tone would have to be on 'Kid Gloves'. Its got that white hot, soaked with chorus sound. I love it

List your favorite chorus tones anyone?

Easy. Permanent Waves.

End of story.

I LOVE Lerxst's tone on the entire Hemispheres album. It's full and it still barks just as good or better than any other tone on any other album. I've been chasing that tone for almost a year. I need to get me a Lifeson ES-355 Signature model. ph34r.gif

The "Grace Under Pressure" sound is another great example of tasteful Chorus pedal use. yes.gif

QUOTE (Alex @ Nov 17 2010, 11:03 PM)

Lol no.

Geddy likes his Fender now. End of discussion. He explains his tone in several interviews and WHY he likes the Fender better.

Geddy's mentioned the Fenders are just easier to play than the Rick plus they are lighter. I have a Rick 4003 myself and after awhile my shoulder blade starts to get sore.

Not to hijack or anything, but I gotta get my eyes checked.

I saw this thread on the main index and at first read it as "Petition to have Alex tortured". ohmy.gif

I know GRising79 likes to take potshots at the guys, but that would be extreme even for him.

Ha, synchronicity! I pulled up this site and this thread, and what is playing in the background on Pandora? Kid Gloves!

GUP has loads of chorus goodness. So does Power Windows -- Big Money, Grand Designs, Marathon. HYF has lots of goodness too -- Turn the Page, Mission, Time Stand Still.

We call this the synth era, but there's loads of Lerxst chorus goodness here.

Plenty of prog-head guitarists can and have emulated the symphonic or epic metal guitar sounds like Hemispheres, etc. Queensryche, Fate's Warning, Dream Theater, all have this flavor of smooth metal flashiness down pat. But who also has the broad and brash colorful swipes of Lerxst chorused chords?

-- Distant Early Warning chorus stabs in 5/8

-- Turn the Page suspended whammied chorus chords

-- Mission heart-wrenched emotional solos and chorused riffs

-- Time Stand Still signature arpeggios and riffs

-- Manhattan Project chorused chorus riffs evoking atomic chain reactions

Andy from the Police, a Flock of Seagulls, and maybe even Steve Stevens with Billy Idol also have some wide, broad, clangy chorused chords, but nothing approaching Alex's diversity and signature moments galore. The Edge? Please, that was just a one-trick pony act. No other guitarist I'm aware of has near as much rocket sauce and rocking songs that Lerxst has in a small part of his large repertoire...

Archived