Do you have a favorite director?

Jack Aubrey

Edited by GeddyRulz

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just remembered one of my favorite directors....

Errol Morris, an Oscar-winning documentarian. Some of his documentaries can be rather quirky. I love his first three films: Gates of Heaven, Vernon Florida, and The Thin Blue Line.

Speaking of favorite directors and remembering a great documentarian... how about Ken Burns? Another great one.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 17 2010, 07:36 AM)
I think "The Shining" is the best "horror" movies I've ever seen.

Fixed. wink.gif

Seriously, I can count on two hands (maybe even one hand) the horror movies that I think are actually high quality great movies, and The Shining is probably my favorite, up there with Silence of the Lambs, The Sixth Sense, The Others and a very, very few others. The movie never fails to creep me out and it's just truly excellent in every way. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 18 2010, 07:48 AM)

Fixed. wink.gif

Seriously, I can count on two hands (maybe even one hand) the horror movies that I think are actually high quality great movies, and The Shining is probably my favorite, up there with Silence of the Lambs, The Sixth Sense, The Others and a very, very few others. The movie never fails to creep me out and it's just truly excellent in every way. yes.gif

I like all the other films you mentioned, but NOT "The Shining." I can appreciate it on a technical level, but it's just too damned boring and lifeless to me. Someone above said "style over substance," and that sounds like a great description of it to me.

Fixed. wink.gif

The Others is a great film. Very atmospheric. Not sure why this doesn't have more vocal fans. Good call.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 18 2010, 09:39 AM)

Fixed. wink.gif

The Others is a great film. Very atmospheric. Not sure why this doesn't have more vocal fans. Good call.

trink39.gif

It creeped me out for hours after it was over... and it was just a PG-rated "ghost story"!

It's been on my mind again, because I recently bought a big old house and we're moving in soon. scared.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 18 2010, 09:45 AM)

Fixed. wink.gif

trink39.gif

It creeped me out for hours after it was over... and it was just a PG-rated "ghost story"!

It's been on my mind again, because I recently bought a big old house and we're moving in soon. scared.gif

I got bored watching The Others, I figured out the haunting less than half way through.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 18 2010, 07:37 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Nov 12 2010, 12:59 PM)
I'm an unapologetic James Cameron fan.

Good for you! Me too...including Avatar and Titanic. (Not a huge Abyss fan, myself...but I love his other work).

I LOVE both of those movies, despite how much people put them down...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 18 2010, 10:14 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Nov 18 2010, 07:37 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Nov 12 2010, 12:59 PM)
I'm an unapologetic James Cameron fan.

Good for you! Me too...including Avatar and Titanic. (Not a huge Abyss fan, myself...but I love his other work).

I LOVE both of those movies, despite how much people put them down...

I love the Abyss, especially the directors cut. The Mondo Avatar is on my xmas list smile.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Nov 18 2010, 08:36 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 18 2010, 09:45 AM)

Fixed. wink.gif

trink39.gif

I got bored watching The Others, I figured out the haunting less than half way through.

The Others chilled me to the bone and not too many movies do that to me.