Face Off

barney_rebel

Sort of like the Rush songs we've been doing - why not pick a movie and discuss it.

I thought this was an underrated movie. It really showed that Cage and Travolta are great actors and had good chemistry in this one.

Who did you like as the bad guy better, John Travolta or Nicholas Cage?

I think Travolta fit the role better - but both did great jobs in each role!

Your avatar is so distracting...

But anyway,

While Travolta is indeed one of the most talented actors out there these days, the same cannot be said about Nicholas Cage. Something about Cage's performance (much like Kevin Spacey's) comes off as irritably condescending somehow. Con Air demonstrates this quite well.

As far as Face Off is concerned, yes it was a great movie - cool action, effects, and certainly an engaging storyline. Underrated? I think it got its fair share of praise.

Hmmm.

Gotta say, I think this is a fantastic film. Not sure I agree with your view on Cage tho Phys. I loved his performance. Travolta had the bad guy bit for me too.

John Woo knocks out some goodies and he had his trademarks all over that film. You may not know that he normally puts a scene in with white doves. He did this in the church when Travolta, (Castor Troy), is given the picture of Sean Archer's son, which he crumples. Similar scene in Mission Impossible 2 when Cruise walks past the door with the flames all around him.

I would have to say that Travolta's portrayal of the villain was better than Cage's. The story was interesting, original at least. And the whole underlying theme of what each person truly cares about was good.

But I found it difficult to suspend the disbelief necessary to accept the switch. For one, Cage and Travolta are so different physically, it was almost impossible to believe they switched faces.

Good performances from both Cage and Travolta and adroit direction by Mr. Woo, but the concept was so farfetched (bordering on the ridiculous, IMO) that I found it too distracting.

Yeah the premise was more than a little out there, but ahh its a movie and it made for good entertainment. I thought they did a decent job explaining the other physique type changes (got a kick out of the tummy tuck and the look on Archer's face!!) and the limitations eg blood type.

My favorite scenes must be the leap off the oil rig and the "face off" b/e Archer and Troy with the mirror in the middle!

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 19 2005, 04:43 PM)
QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Apr 19 2005, 04:29 PM)
I'm having to learn a new technique for watching films.
NPG keeps giggling, kissing me, telling me she loves me.

http://img93.exs.cx/img93/2706/lengua9ep.gif

wub.gif

Get a room! tongue.gif

rofl3.gif

But they do make me so happy. smile.gif Really, they light up all the threads they "invade."

We got a room, The Shack, but we like to live dangerously and get some lovin in, in public laugh.gif .

Invade....really!! http://www.asturcon3.com/emicons/KOLOBOK/aiwan_smiles/tease.gif

http://punkesito.com.ar/caritas/giggle.gif

It is a totally ludicrous and over the top film, and all the better for it.

I think there are certain "leave your brain at the door" type films which are really enjoyable, the basic philosophy is "Shall we insert an explantory element to the storyline that enhances the audience's understanding of the plot.....or will we just blow something up?"

"Farg it, blow something up!!"

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Apr 19 2005, 05:22 PM)
We got a room, The Shack, but we like to live dangerously and get some lovin in, in public laugh.gif .

Invade....really!! http://www.asturcon3.com/emicons/KOLOBOK/aiwan_smiles/tease.gif

http://punkesito.com.ar/caritas/giggle.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif It's cool. I was just messin'. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Apr 19 2005, 02:06 PM)
Sort of like the Rush songs we've been doing - why not pick a movie and discuss it.

I thought this was an underrated movie. It really showed that Cage and Travolta are great actors and had good chemistry in this one.

Who did you like as the bad guy better, John Travolta or Nicholas Cage?

I think Travolta fit the role better - but both did great jobs in each role!

I loved Face/Off. It was an excellent movie. I thought John Travolta was only good for the good guy scenes where as Nicholas Cage played both the good guy and bad guy scenes very well. John Woo did such an excellent job directing it with his special effects that he uses in his movies.