Forced to Deliver!

losingit2k

Do you think Rush is forced to deliver another Essential Rush song for Clockwork Angels now that they have released Caravan? Who knows, maybe they already have it and released Caravan knowing this. Regardless, I believe another Essential Rush Song, and by this I mean The Far Cry, Tom Sawyer, Subdivision. The Spirit of Radio song of the album. That quint-essential Rush song thats has great jamming, playing you know another "Hit!" ? Let the discussion begin!

QUOTE (rush22112 @ Sep 13 2010, 11:29 AM)
Agreed. I think it jams better than Caravan does

I don't know about that! That jam at the end of Caravan is classic Rush and very reminiscent of Freewill! I know many people don't agree with that but that was the first impression I received when I heard it! Bu2B is a much harder sounding song I'll give ya that!

1022.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 13 2010, 08:55 AM)
Do you think Rush is forced to deliver another Essential Rush song for Clockwork Angels now that they have released Caravan? Who knows, maybe they already have it and released Caravan knowing this. Regardless, I believe another Essential Rush Song, and by this I mean The Far Cry, Tom Sawyer, Subdivision. The Spirit of Radio song of the album. That quint-essential Rush song thats has great jamming, playing you know another "Hit!" ? Let the discussion begin!

I don't think the two new songs are anywhere near the quality of the songs you mentioned above. Hopefully that's still forthcoming. There's always the question of, was Caravan/BU2B released because those are the strongest songs (or Caravan is) from the album, or were those the only songs that were ready in time?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 13 2010, 12:24 PM)

I don't think the two new songs are anywhere near the quality of the songs you mentioned above. Hopefully that's still forthcoming. There's always the question of, was Caravan/BU2B released because those are the strongest songs (or Caravan is) from the album, or were those the only songs that were ready in time?

You've made this point quite a lot, but it seems most people aren't in agreement with you. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it seems the general consensus is that these songs are up in the "excellent" category. Which of course is all good no matter where your opinion lies, but I'd hazard a guess the quality of CA won't be any better than these two songs, so if you don't like them you probably won't be a big fan of the album. Fortunately for me that's OK because based on those songs I'm looking at a solid 10.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Sep 13 2010, 10:42 AM)

You've made this point quite a lot, but it seems most people aren't in agreement with you. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it seems the general consensus is that these songs are up in the "excellent" category. Which of course is all good no matter where your opinion lies, but I'd hazard a guess the quality of CA won't be any better than these two songs, so if you don't like them you probably won't be a big fan of the album. Fortunately for me that's OK because based on those songs I'm looking at a solid 10.

Ok, so if you've made the point quite a lot, as you have, that the songs are great, does that make your opinion better or more valid or more worthy to be spoken than mine? Why should I care if most people aren't in agreement - that doesn't make me like the songs any more than I do. I guess you'd rather I not express my dissenting opinion because I don't agree with you and/or most people?

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 13 2010, 11:01 AM)
i'd be quite happy if the rest of the album was instrumentals.

Unless the lyrics improve with the rest of the tracks, I'd be happy with this too. Of course that won't happen. And perhaps we'll get really lucky and get one or more than one track up to the standards of the 1st 3 tracks on S&A. At this point, I would be happy with even a small handful of tracks that I like or love. Based on what I've heard thus far, however, I'm not optimistic, or at best very cautiously optimistic.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 13 2010, 02:00 PM)

Ok, so if you've made the point quite a lot, as you have, that the songs are great, does that make your opinion better or more valid or more worthy to be spoken than mine? Why should I care if most people aren't in agreement - that doesn't make me like the songs any more than I do. I guess you'd rather I not express my dissenting opinion because I don't agree with you and/or most people?

I got your back Goob, and I agree with your opinion. trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 13 2010, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 13 2010, 11:01 AM)
i'd be quite happy if the rest of the album was instrumentals.

Unless the lyrics improve with the rest of the tracks, I'd be happy with this too.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm84/amilare/picard-facepalm.jpg

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 13 2010, 04:00 PM)

No, that wasn't my point at all. I certainly don't think my view is more valid whether the general population agrees or not (I mean, I was busting your chops on this point earlier appealing to popularity for certain band time periods).

My point was- you aren't likely to see "better" songs on the rest of the album because it seems these are high quality songs, just not in a direction that suits you. I say they are "high quality" based on the fact that a lot of the fans really like them, all the while recognizing that this isn't necessarily the best criteria on which to judge music. That being said, my main point is that if just about everyone thought the new songs were terrible then it's more reasonable to hope for the rest of the album (or the new songs re-recorded) to improve and we were just hearing rough ideas or a rushed job- but when it seems the band has hit the nail on the head for many people we are likely not hearing the bottom of the barrel material, as much as you may not like it.

I said it badly- but that was the point I was trying to make.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Sep 13 2010, 05:33 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 13 2010, 04:00 PM)

No, that wasn't my point at all. I certainly don't think my view is more valid whether the general population agrees or not (I mean, I was busting your chops on this point earlier appealing to popularity for certain band time periods).

My point was- you aren't likely to see "better" songs on the rest of the album because it seems these are high quality songs, just not in a direction that suits you. I say they are "high quality" based on the fact that a lot of the fans really like them, all the while recognizing that this isn't necessarily the best criteria on which to judge music. That being said, my main point is that if just about everyone thought the new songs were terrible then it's more reasonable to hope for the rest of the album (or the new songs re-recorded) to improve and we were just hearing rough ideas or a rushed job- but when it seems the band has hit the nail on the head for many people we are likely not hearing the bottom of the barrel material, as much as you may not like it.

I said it badly- but that was the point I was trying to make.

Well, I'm staying open minded. S&A was about half of a great album for me, so there's no reason for me to assume that every song will be like Caravan and BU2B - there might be some material I'll really like. And FWIW, I love the music in Caravan, just not the lyrics or the lack of melody. The fact that they'll be recording right off a tour and in good musical shape might bode well for some better material. Fingers crossed! I really didn't think they had S&A in them since prior to that the last album of theirs I really enjoyed was Counterparts. Anything can happen...

Their supposed epic will be, and maybe another. They're turning the notch up on this album if I read my tourbook correctly.

The songs that come to mind when thinking of their " public hits" are:

finding my way, working man

Fly by night

2112, A passage to bangkok

Xanadu, Closer to the Heart

Spirit of Radio, Freewill

Tom Sawyer, YYZ, limelight

subdivisions, new world man

the big money

time stand still

Far Cry

caravan

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Sep 15 2010, 07:49 PM)

Their supposed epic will be, and maybe another. They're turning the notch up on this album if I read my tourbook correctly.

Fly by night

the big money

time stand still

Far Cry

caravan

You Forgot:

Distant Early Warnings,

Show Don't Tell,

Dreamline,

Stick it Out,

and

Test For Echo,

yes.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 15 2010, 06:23 PM)

Fly by night

the big money

time stand still

Far Cry

caravan

You Forgot:

Distant Early Warnings,

Show Don't Tell,

Dreamline,

Stick it Out,

and

Test For Echo,

yes.gif

Dreamline maybe, I was talking commercially hit songs. And there's still nothing from hemispheres is on the list.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Sep 15 2010, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 15 2010, 06:23 PM)

Fly by night

the big money

time stand still

Far Cry

caravan

You Forgot:

Distant Early Warnings,

Show Don't Tell,

Dreamline,

Stick it Out,

and

Test For Echo,

yes.gif

Dreamline maybe, I was talking commercially hit songs. And there's still nothing from hemispheres is on the list.

Somehow I don't remember Xanadu ever being played on the Airwaves or a commercial hit for that matter? It's a fan/band favorite and I'll leave it there!

bolt.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 13 2010, 10:55 AM)

I don't think forced to deliver is the right term...but I believe the fans are expecting an 'essential' song from Clockwork Angels.

I think every RUSH album has at least two essential (must have, must play) songs on it.

Caravan and BU2B are good songs....but I am expecting more....a couple Essential songs would be nice.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 16 2010, 04:03 PM)
They even said that Caravan and BU2B may be reworked, so the second version may change some opinions on the song. I personally like them both.

may be reworked? in other words, they aren't going to touch them. i don't take anything seriously anymore from these guys. i just turn on the music and give it a listen as it's released. if i like it i like it, if i don't there's plenty of music out there. same thing with the setlist talk. yea whatever you say al. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 17 2010, 10:03 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 16 2010, 04:03 PM)
They even said that Caravan and BU2B may be reworked, so the second version may change some opinions on the song. I personally like them both.

may be reworked? in other words, they aren't going to touch them. i don't take anything seriously anymore from these guys. i just turn on the music and give it a listen as it's released. if i like it i like it, if i don't there's plenty of music out there. same thing with the setlist talk. yea whatever you say al. laugh.gif

Hey Leave Al alone he's a musical Genious! (Wipes snot off nose!)

z7shysterical.gif

Archived