Learning Guitar with Fat fingers sucks!

The Owl

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Oct 5 2010, 08:53 AM)
Come join the brotherhood of bass!!! biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif

We need more of our kind!

To the OP: If you can't hack guitar/bass you can quit being a musician and become a drummer...

tongue.gif 653.gif NeilFinal.gif 653.gif tongue.gif

Playing bass guitar with piano fingers is a bitch, but, I enjoy it.

I'm female, and most people are shocked to hear of a 15 year old female bass player. I mostly did it because Geddy had said in an interview that he'd like to see more female bass players.

But, it's gone from mission to an actual obsession. If I'm not on the computer, I'm usually playing my bass. Or school...but, let's not talk about that.

It's also one of my greatest hobbies. And playing the electric and acoustic guitars is more of a challenge. I hate 6 strings...sorry to say. I prefer the four string bass.

I think I was lucky in that my fingers have only gotten a little bit fatter... they have always been long and thin, which makes playing a Gibson a real challenge for me.... I have an Ibanez SZ520 and the neck is almost too thick to play it properly... My GX20 is the most comfortable guitar I have, even if my converted Yamaha SE250 sounds the best out of all of the ones I own... I have a Yamaha EG112C2 that was given to me by a friend, and once I get that converted (right-handed guitar switched to lefty), that might be my main one for awhile, or at least long enough to get used to it.

On another note, have you ever been noodling around and find out that you kinda "get it"?

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Oct 7 2010, 10:17 AM)
On another note, have you ever been noodling around and find out that you kinda "get it"?

I love it when something like that happens by accident. I've been playing only two years so anything new is a big discovery for me. I was playing one night finger picking chords and did it on a C. I did it a couple of more times and my wife says "Dust In The Wind" ? I went and looked it up - yep.

QUOTE (Boots @ Sep 25 2010, 11:45 AM)
Learning guitar with small girly hands sucks too. 
Can't reach the chords properly... even with a stupid Daisy Rock guitar.

Amen to that! yes.gif

I played when I was younger but stopped (maybe because I heard La Villa and threw my hands up in surrender). I recently picked it back up and remembered why I stopped - I have small hands! Every great guitarist I've ever seen has huge hands and/or long fingers. I have neither sad.gif

But I am determined to at least be able to strum a few Rush songs. I'm working on Closer To The Heart right now. I had to get some nylon strings for the time being but as soon as I get my callouses I'll pick up the Martin or my Ibanez Faux-Strat.