RUSH AT THE NY STATE FAIR

got rush?

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 5 2010, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 5 2010, 02:39 PM)
QUOTE (hammerofthor @ Sep 5 2010, 01:28 PM)
Best show ever

Was it me or did Geddy and Alex seem a bit taken back at the enthusiasm of the crowd? They boys were definitely on fire.

As in, they were surprised we were so into it up front? Or that we weren't into it?

I thought they were extra into it. Surprised in a good way.

I've seen Rush 5 times, this was pretty much the best of them all. I was in Grandstand 2, and found that there were quite a few people that kept sitting down 30 seconds into a song, or especially during the new tunes. I stood for much of it, happy to drum & sing along with the best of you all, much to the chagrin of some of the folks around me.

During intermission, I turned around to the father and sons behind me and told them that I wouldn't be sitting down at all through the second set, and that I wished the rest of the crowd would get mot into it. Well, something clicked, because the only time during MP that most people around me sat down was for Vital Signs, and that was ok - I needed a break knowing "Love For Sale" was coming up.

Speaking of which, being a drummer and having worshiped Peart for decades, I was left slightly disappointed with his solo. Not that he messed it up or anything, but I thought there was a bit too much in the way of electronics, or at least "definition" - the sound was sort of blended, rather than a big rhythmic pounding through some of it. The following night, I watched "Live in Rio" on VHI Classic, and the drum solo Neil put together on that was one of the better ones I've seen out of him, with more time spent on the primary kit. While a friend of mine thinks there was some sound issues with the electronics at Syracuse during his solo, plain & simple, I'd like to have seen him more on the acoustic set. Was still great to see him play regardless, and incredibly impressive.

As for the overall feel of the show, I think they fed off a great crowd - the local paper says 12,000 in attendance, but with a venue capacity of 17,000, I'm not sure where they were seeing 5000 empty seats. Tons of energy ( even if people were sitting! ) and a great overall sound to the mix.

Bottom line - I saw 3 guys that love to play music up there, having a great time working together. That is when a band is at its best.

I was 16th row just stage left of Geddy, and it was the closest I had ever been for a show (just behind the soundboard for Darien Lake SandA, nosebleeds at Bristow for SandA live, and ~28th row for SPAC time machine). They were definitely on fire this time, much more so than the other 3 shows. Part way into Stick it Out, the four people next to me stood up and left, never to return. I wasn't complaining, it gave me some roving room to get a better view between the kid and two or three short people who were standing on chairs in front of me, and the tool with his hat brim up vertical... But seriously, who leaves three songs into a RUSH show?! I was air drumming and singing the whole show, and call me crazy, but I swear Geddy made eye contact with me from the end of the 2nd set to the middle of the encore. It helped that a young kid and a teen girl were in front of me getting just as into it as I was. I was kinda hoping he'd throw a shirt our way, but he didn't even get close lol.

Now for my location within the venue... The sound that close was terrible, there was way too much distortion, and a constant high frequency jumble of crap. However, with earplugs in just enough to stick without being in all the way remedied the problem. The result was a clearer, more bearable sound, and no "head in a fish bowl" feeling in the morning biggrin.gif I was close enough to get a great view without the screens, so I pretty much ignored them except during the drum solo. I wish I could have seen more of Alex from all the stories I've heard. And the sign language interpreter was not as bizarre to me becuase I had started orientation at Rochester Institute of Technology (home of the National Technical Institute of the Deaf) the day before. I heard Alex was putting some moves on her (much like he did with the stage right camera lady at SPAC) all night.

Great concert, and I've got 4 audio recordings of it already!

We were in Box R, first row in the grandstand. Very into it in our section. Yes, I thought the guys, particularly Alex, really seemed surprised at how into it the crowd was. Sorry to hear there were sections that weren't. Why come to a rock show if you're not going to cut loose. Saw them in the Carrier Dome in '82, and I think they sounded much better last night. Maybe it's just me aging with the guys, but I still can't get over how good they sound staring 60 years old in the face.

I read on a few online sites that they'll finish their current album after the tour finishes in October and plan for a spring release followed immediately by ANOTHER WORLD TOUR, starting in the spring 2011. I sure hope Syracuse can get them back. I want to try to imrove my seats now that I've figured out that whole pre-sale thing. Rumor has it that it will be their farewell tour (but I doubt it).

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Sep 7 2010, 04:59 PM)
To me, the star of the night was Alex. He was on fire!

yes.gif

Seriously though, when is Alex or the rest of the band never on fire live? Alex is always the star for me live. That's why I got my first row seats right in front of him.

The only thing that makes me sad is that it will be a long time before I see them live again. I remember thinking that it was going to be over in 96. I felt like that in 87 as well but here we are in 10 and I got to see them twice this tour. Come back soon boys! I already miss you.

very exciting to see geddy in 2 row. way more exciting was seeing my friend from 25 yrs.ago she was the sign language lady !!! her and husband have followed rush since high school. Lisa told me it was a dream come true to have this gig. you go girl. love you Brian and Lisa . wonderful concert and rushgirl was having the time of her life in front row. everyone was loving it.

• Like 1

I was there...we were at stage left (alex's) side.the sound was good.I was on floor 4 rows back...really good seats.The view of the middle screen was a little bit obstructed,by a huge long black curtain.but overall the sound was decent.the camera eye,was amazing!!! alex nailed it!!!

QUOTE (snowdog212 @ Sep 8 2010, 10:15 AM)
Who was Geddy pointing to when he said "I know that guy"

I remember him saying that! It wasn't me though.

QUOTE (hilda @ Sep 8 2010, 08:37 AM)
very exciting to see geddy in 2 row. way more exciting was seeing my friend from 25 yrs.ago she was the sign language lady !!! her and husband have followed rush since high school. Lisa told me it was a dream come true to have this gig. you go girl. love you Brian and Lisa . wonderful concert and rushgirl was having the time of her life in front row. everyone was loving it.

You know I was thinking the lady doing the sign language was a fan. I looked over during some of the instrumentals to see what she was doing and she was sitting down but she was still into the songs and moving to them.

Even though the sign language thing was out of the ordinary, being a fan it had to be such a thrill for her to get that job.

This was my first show, and turned me into a far more intense fan. We were in the second to last row in Grandstand 3, but it was just so awesome I didn't even think about it. Having said that, next time I'm going to try for something closer. I hear the seating up front is for fan club members, but haven't seen any sign of how to join in poking around Rush websites. I signed up for the newsletter - are there details in there?

Our section was mellow too, but everyone took so many drugs before the show started that I doubt they even knew where they were, much less had the inclination to stand up/dance tongue.gif We did have Vuvuzela Guy, who thankfully only used his instrument for applause, though it was unique and enthusiastic! All part of the fun - even took a pic of him. And how cool was it that the Fair fireworks were going off close to when Rush's were? One cool thing about the nosebleed seats - when they showed the big Ferris wheel onscreen during (was it) Presto, you could see the real one off to the left on the midway. Magical.

Oh, man, I wanna relive this show forever...hope my memories last a long time!

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Sep 18 2010, 12:08 AM)
This was my first show, and turned me into a far more intense fan. We were in the second to last row in Grandstand 3, but it was just so awesome I didn't even think about it. Having said that, next time I'm going to try for something closer. I hear the seating up front is for fan club members, but haven't seen any sign of how to join in poking around Rush websites. I signed up for the newsletter - are there details in there?

Our section was mellow too, but everyone took so many drugs before the show started that I doubt they even knew where they were, much less had the inclination to stand up/dance tongue.gif We did have Vuvuzela Guy, who thankfully only used his instrument for applause, though it was unique and enthusiastic! All part of the fun - even took a pic of him. And how cool was it that the Fair fireworks were going off close to when Rush's were? One cool thing about the nosebleed seats - when they showed the big Ferris wheel onscreen during (was it) Presto, you could see the real one off to the left on the midway. Magical.

Glad you had a blast 1022.gif

There really is no rush "fan club" per se. Most of the track seating was sold through Music Today, which had presales of tickets before they officially went on sale through ticketmaster and the fair box office. Nothing secret to buying through Music Today; you just have to sign up with a valid email address to "get in". Other than selling tickets, Music Today is not a fan club for the band.

Also, the Music Today tickets aren't necessarily better than waiting until the official sale. Nor does the price differ It is just a jump-start opportunity to getting seats anywhere in the venue. I think for the NYS Fair show, MT presales worked out for the best since many of those tickets were track level. For other shows, people lucked out just as well waiting for the official sale.

When tour time comes around again next year, visit rushisaband.com, in addition to here. You will find out all the info you need on ticket sales, when and where pre-sales and regular sales are.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Sep 18 2010, 01:08 AM)

Our section was mellow too, but everyone took so many drugs before the show started that I doubt they even knew where they were, much less had the inclination to stand up/dance  tongue.gif We did have Vuvuzela Guy, who thankfully only used his instrument for applause, though it was unique and enthusiastic! All part of the fun - even took a pic of him. And how cool was it that the Fair fireworks were going off close to when Rush's were? One cool thing about the nosebleed seats - when they showed the big Ferris wheel onscreen during (was it) Presto, you could see the real one off to the left on the midway. Magical.

applaudit.gif

It was an awesome show. yes.gif

Edited by Gompers

Its too bad that they didn't film this one for release. In the fourteen times that I have seen them this is the most "on" that they have been. Still can't get over the solo section of Free Will. They jammed on that like the song was brand new and fresh.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 18 2010, 05:56 AM)

Glad you had a blast 1022.gif

There really is no rush "fan club" per se. Most of the track seating was sold through Music Today, which had presales of tickets before they officially went on sale through ticketmaster and the fair box office. Nothing secret to buying through Music Today; you just have to sign up with a valid email address to "get in". Other than selling tickets, Music Today is not a fan club for the band.

Also, the Music Today tickets aren't necessarily better than waiting until the official sale. Nor does the price differ It is just a jump-start opportunity to getting seats anywhere in the venue. I think for the NYS Fair show, MT presales worked out for the best since many of those tickets were track level. For other shows, people lucked out just as well waiting for the official sale.

When tour time comes around again next year, visit rushisaband.com, in addition to here. You will find out all the info you need on ticket sales, when and where pre-sales and regular sales are.

Thanks for the good info! I did find rushisaband.com and added them on Twitter, so I'm in the loop there. I'll definitely be more ready next tour and can't wait to start planning for my next show!