All 156 songs, ranked and reviewed by Deckiller

Deckiller

QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Aug 29 2010, 10:52 PM)
QUOTE (Deckiller @ Aug 29 2010, 07:29 PM)
Also...

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo174/D...ng?t=1283138887

Frakkin' Awesome! Glad you caught that! trink39.gif

Yes indeed, I have to give you credit for all the time you are putting into this. My fiancee would kill me if I put this much time into something like this, but then again she understands my obcession with 2.gif tongue.gif

She'll be my side on the last date of the tour as they come to wake up South Florida. I just hope there won't be any lingering hurricanes to fight through. sad.gif

Very interesting so far...you're doing a helluva job. I don't have too much difference with you, except for a few tunes like "Vapor Trail" and "Presto". But, as you've noted several times, songs from VT and Presto/RTB were degraded by their poor production. But regardless of the production, I still rank 'em in my top 50.

I consider Presto/RTB to be my 2 least favorite Rush albums...but it'd be interesting to consider how much better they would've been if they'd been produced by Terry Brown, Peter Collins...anybody but that lame ass Rupert Hine. I don't know what they were thinking allowing that guy to produce TWO of their albums.

One other note: in your review of "Red Lenses", you make note of the cheesiness of "It's true!" Just in case you don't know, that's a dated joke reference to the classic SCTV comedy show that was on at that time. "National Midnight Star" was SCTV's version of the Enquirer, the Star, etc...and the catchphrase "It's true!" was used in the fake commercials for the tabloid. ("Adolf Hitler is a short order cook in Missouri!...It's true!") So, for us older fans, we might still get a chuckle out of it...but if you're under 35 or so, you might not get it.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 30 2010, 09:53 AM)
...the more you go on, the more you're making me want to compile such a list, but I just don't think I can.

1287.gif funny, isn't it?

By giving the subject some serious word count, Deck (to his credit) is giving each Rush song a near-exhausting assessment.

But when he's 'wrong' ( wink.gif ) it evokes an almost instant 'need' to throw all carpal tunnel risks to the wind and craft your very own exacting dissertation on precisely why 'Here Again' and 'Chain Lightning' deserve to be in every Rush fans' top 40.

[which - of course - they do smile.gif ]

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Aug 30 2010, 10:14 AM)
...the more you go on, the more you're making me want to compile such a list, but I just don't think I can.

By giving the subject some serious word count, Deck (to his credit) is giving each Rush song a near-exhausting assessment.

But when he's 'wrong' ( wink.gif ) it evokes an almost instant 'need' to throw all carpal tunnel risks to the wind and craft your very own exacting dissertation on precisely why 'Here Again' and 'Chain Lightning' deserve to be in every Rush fans' top 40.

I'm trying to be as brief and simple as I can, hehe smile.gif I've seen people write 2,000+ words on their middle-of-the-road Rush songs, and I just don't have the patience or sanity for that. Nor does my brain have the RAM for that! smile.gif

I'm really enjoying this thread, and much respect for putting all this time into it.

I happen to agree with you for the vast majority of your rankings so far, because I'm just one of those Rush fans who actually really likes HYF and doesn't like most of Rush (album).

However, I do disagree with your placement of BS&M, New World Man, and Finding My Way. Not too much to say except I really like those songs. unsure.gif

Butttt I'm very impressed at how you put Resist so low; I'm in love with the Rush In Rio version, but I can't listen to the studio version. It sounds so incredible in its simplest form, not when it's heavily overdone like it is on T4E.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Aug 30 2010, 08:14 AM)

I don't know if Chain Lightning would even make my top 80, but it is a very good song.

If I ever was to try and attempt something like this thread, I would probably just make a list and give songs a numerical 1-10 rating, but without the descriptions on each song - that would be a huge undertaking (though I admire Deckiller for doing it) and again, I'd have to spend time analyzing every song I don't like, which would suck. Even if I did it that way, I'd probably lump all the songs I can't stand in a something like 137-156 category and then list them alphabetically with a 0 or 1 rating or whatever.