Fav Modern Prog, aside from Big 4 Bands

thelocator

I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something or other that might be worth checking out...Would hate to be told in a year or two that there was a thing or two on the ultra-cool list that had just slipped right through me radar detects...Because, it's usually me who's the one doing a son or two a righteous solid and passing on the good word in that department.

What I consider to be the BIG FOUR monsters in the modern Progressive Rock realm are the four groups which seem to have conquered hugescale, worldwide success, artistically and sales-wise...Those four units would be Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Opeth and Porcupine Tree...They seem to be the biggest bands available when considering the term, 'Prog Rock'.

So, I don't want to hear about how much anyone out there loves any of these four bands...I acknowledge the achievements of all four of these behemoths, and, remarkably enough, I'm one of the few cats out there who actually likes all four of these bands' works...

I eally want to know what ya'll believe to be the BEST of the REST...What do you guys think are the other worthwhile Progressive Rock bands out there, the groups who 'would be' just as BIG as the four aforementioned units, that is, if there were anything resembling true justice in this stinking universe...lol.

I happen to have a few of the newish groups in mind...but I want to learn what other RUSH fans might be digging hard on nowadays. Give us a hint to what other progish schtuff we should all be listening to in 2010 and beyond.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the latest issue of Classic Rock presents Prog magazine. Not only does it feature Rush on the cover, the included disc is "Future Times, the new breed of prog".

I'm liking North Atlantic Oscillation. You'll probably find something new you like in it.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Aug 13 2010, 10:51 PM)
Taylor Swift

Definitely. Her later work redefined the very definition of progressive rock.

3 is an amazing band. Truly amazing live. My first exposure to them was seeing them open for Porcupine Tree back in '08. I was absolutely blown away. You would have thought it was their last show ever, the way they poured such energy out into their performance. The frontman is a phenomenal vocalist and guitarist who plays with that funky flamenco style. A shredding lead guitarist, a keyboardist/percussionist, and a competent rhythm section complete the band.

QUOTE (Nathan @ Aug 13 2010, 09:36 PM)
Check out the latest issue of Classic Rock presents Prog magazine. Not only does it feature Rush on the cover, the included disc is "Future Times, the new breed of prog".

I'm liking North Atlantic Oscillation. You'll probably find something new you like in it.

Oh, I'm definitely gonna take note of that name...I've found bands like Magic Pie (out of Norway I believe) to be some of the hottest and proficient cats in this realm...

Actually, you're safe checking out pretty much everything that comes out of Sweden, and Norway to some smaller degree...Seriously, this area of Europe churns out Modern Prog like England did back in the first half of the 70's...Some awesome stuff coming out of there indeed.

Just recently, I began sifting through the catalog of a band called Deadsoul Tribe...They're out of Austria...Really good, but they tend to meld their stuff with a 90's downer vibe, a little bit like AIC...They toss in a little bit of flute and keys...but otherwise it's pretty much straight-up Hard Rock with prog-leanings...Worth it

I wanna hear more of this Beardfish. They have a cool Yes-meets-Zappa-meets-Gentle Giant thing going on...There's some other semi-cool things like Simon Says and Karmakanic that a friend just had me check into recently...But mostly, I tend to dig the stuff that is somewhat avant garde-leaning, things like Astra or Diagonal...Anyone know of this stuff?

Between The Buried and me.

another favorite of mine who have been around for years but still play is

Ozric Tentacles. try this for starters:

A disc that continues to blow me away is Animals As Leaders. If you are into instrumental guitar check them out. Tosin may be the next Steve Vai IMO.

Mastodon.

QUOTE (Joshua @ Aug 13 2010, 10:04 PM)
3 - "Amaze Disgrace"
3 is an amazing band. Truly amazing live. My first exposure to them was seeing them open for Porcupine Tree back in '08. I was absolutely blown away. You would have thought it was their last show ever, the way they poured such energy out into their performance. The frontman is a phenomenal vocalist and guitarist who plays with that funky flamenco style. A shredding lead guitarist, a keyboardist/percussionist, and a competent rhythm section complete the band.

I saw them open for PT too. they are great.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 13 2010, 10:26 PM)
Between The Buried and me. 

another favorite of mine who have been around for years but still play is
Ozric Tentacles.  try this for starters: pixel dream

A disc that continues to blow me away is Animals As Leaders. If you are into instrumental guitar check them out. Tosin may be the next Steve Vai IMO.

Mastodon.
yes.gif

Between The Buried And Me. Saw them open for Mastodon. MASTODON! Of course! Silly me for not mentioning them earlier. Crack The Skye is their debut as a true prog outfit.

There are a ton of new Prog artists. Currently I am getting into Karnivool. Oceansize is another to check out,

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 14 2010, 07:40 AM)
There are a ton of new Prog artists. Currently I am getting into Karnivool. Oceansize is another to check out,

I am not familiar with Karnivool but read they were great when they opened for PT in san fran a few days ago. Will check them out later today.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 14 2010, 09:33 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 14 2010, 07:40 AM)

I am not familiar with Karnivool but read they were great when they opened for PT in san fran a few days ago. Will check them out later today.

They have a unique sound, IMO. Themata is the CD to check out.

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 14 2010, 05:26 AM)

He's much better than Vai IMO

100000 times more inventive and original!

The ASL debut is a master piece.

QUOTE (Soni @ Aug 14 2010, 09:47 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 14 2010, 05:26 AM)

He's much better than Vai IMO

100000 times more inventive and original!

The ASL debut is a master piece.

I love Vai and have for years. The first time i heard the AAL disc i was thinking along the line "i haven't been this blown by a guitar disc since my first listen to Passion and Warfare"

Vai is a fan and I am going out on a limb to guess the next AAL disc will be on Vais record label Favored Nations.

Check out the Vai quote on the AAL myspace page. high praise indeed.

http://www.myspace.com/animalsasleaders

QUOTE (Joshua @ Aug 14 2010, 10:16 AM)
Two bands worth mentioning...
Isis
Agalloch

Oh, yes...Agalloch is some of the most atmospheric and ambitious, like Black Prog...if such a term could exist...Very cool for late-night, through a pair of headphones...All ya'll will be VERY impressed....And, Isis is part of that whole Post-Rock crowd that really reinvented the wheel during the second half of last decade...

I actually got a big heads-up for YOU yourself if you happen to be digging hard on this particular sub-genre of Post-Rock...Run, don't walk, and go find out about Giant Squid (the release before last) and Baroness (same deal, the release before last)...You will flip your wig if you dig hard on the Heavy, progressive, Post-Rock thing.

Things like BTBAM and Mastodon are, of course, total givens...OSI and TMV can be tolerated by me in small doses...I've heard a wee bit of Tiles...and what I heard was very Rush-like.

BUT, how about the next up-and-comer? Someone name a rarity that I wouldn't be familiar with at all.

When did Taylor Swift do the crossover thing? I thought she was contemplating a Grindcore EP, not Prog Rock. Word is that she might be screwin Neal Morse of Spock's Beard...also, word is she mighta went and stole his Big Ol' Prog Playbook when that old phugger was off sleeping or praying to Hey-Zeus....

Now she's up late at night, making onion-dip and rocking the keys of her Casio keyboard, trying to do the Prog-by-numbers thing. I give it a year or so before she's partnered up in some kinda supergroup thingie with the likes of both Steven Wilson and Mike Akerfeldt...No diggity, niggity.