The Doctor Who thread.

The Owl

Finally some new episodes.

But only 8 for the rest of 2013, did I read that right?

That's kind of a bummer.

Yep that's right...it's counted as being the same series/season as last years episodes (of which there was only 5 plus the Christmas episode)

Alas, the BBC is short of cash, so we have to be grateful for any new episodes

Why is the BBC short on cash?

It always has been really.

Unlike other TV channels, the BBC doesn't have adverts (commercials) or whatever else to provide it's funding. The BBC is funded through the License Fee, which we have to pay each year if we want to own a TV.

So all BBC shows are in effect paid for by the British public.

Finally some new episodes.

But only 8 for the rest of 2013, did I read that right?

That's kind of a bummer.

Yep that's right...it's counted as being the same series/season as last years episodes (of which there was only 5 plus the Christmas episode)

Alas, the BBC is short of cash, so we have to be grateful for any new episodes

Why is the BBC short on cash?

It always has been really.

Unlike other TV channels, the BBC doesn't have adverts (commercials) or whatever else to provide it's funding. The BBC is funded through the License Fee, which we have to pay each year if we want to own a TV.

So all BBC shows are in effect paid for by the British public.

I didn't know they ran the station like that. That's how PBS works here in the US. How are they able to afford the budget for the new Doctor Who episodes then? Over here BBC America runs commercials during the shows just like any other station, so I figured it was the same over there.

As filming on the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special begins, some details have emerged regarding the episode. The new issue of Doctor Who Magazine, out next week, have confirmed that David Tennant (The Tenth Doctor) and Billie Piper (Rose Tyler) have signed up to appear in the special. Also starring is screen legend, John Hurt (Alien).

:haz:

Thoughts on last nights episode?

I loved it!

And it was great to see more of

Richard E. Grant's character from the Christmas episode

...looks like he'll be popping up again.

Thoughts on last nights episode?

I loved it!

And it was great to see more of

Richard E. Grant's character from the Christmas episode

...looks like he'll be popping up again.

Absolutely loved it! Did anyone notice the somewhat heavier, bass-like tone to the theme?

And don't forget the merchandising!

I bought my son a sonic screwdriver for Christmas, and he bought me a Doctor Who coffee mug where the TARDIS disappears when you put coffee into it.

:cool:

I've got the Doctor's sonic screwdriver (David Tennant), the Master's sonic screwdriver (John Simms), 3 figures: David Tennant's Doctor, a Cyberman and a Clockwork Droid, a radio controlled Dalek, and a hand-built David Tennant as the Doctor.

I bought my son a sonic screwdriver for Christmas, and he bought me a Doctor Who coffee mug where the TARDIS disappears when you put coffee into it.

I've got the Doctor's sonic screwdriver (David Tennant), the Master's sonic screwdriver (John Simms), 3 figures: David Tennant's Doctor, a Cyberman and a Clockwork Droid, a radio controlled Dalek, and a hand-built David Tennant as the Doctor.

The only Doctor Who merch I have is action figures of The Doctor (Matt Smith) and Amy Pond. I stumbled upon them by accident to. I used to work at a Toys R Us many years ago and one day last October I saw the one I used to work at went through a re-model. So, I decided to stop in and see what changes were made and that's when I found the figures. Of course, I had to buy them without a second thought. If I hadn't seen Rush a few days later this purchase would've been the highlight of my week. Of coruse, now I joke with my friend who's also a big fan of the show that I have Amy Pond at home and he doesn't :LOL:

I liked the new episode. I enjoyed the way they used the WiFi to control people. Even though it's a TV show, it really does make you think about how big the power of the internet can become if we're not careful. Clara is setting up to be an awesome companion and i'm looking forward to what The Doctor discovers about who or what she is.

The only Doctor Who merch I have is action figures of The Doctor (Matt Smith) and Amy Pond. I stumbled upon them by accident to. I used to work at a Toys R Us many years ago and one day last October I saw the one I used to work at went through a re-model. So, I decided to stop in and see what changes were made and that's when I found the figures. Of course, I had to buy them without a second thought. If I hadn't seen Rush a few days later this purchase would've been the highlight of my week. Of coruse, now I joke with my friend who's also a big fan of the show that I have Amy Pond at home and he doesn't :LOL:

We'll, since we're admitting to it, I've got the figures for all 11 Doctors (yes, all 11), plus Rose, Martha, Donna, Amy, River...and classic series companions Leela, Peri, Jo Grant and the Brigadier...as well as the original Master (Roger Delgado)

• Like 1

I enjoyed the episode as well and I agree that Clara is shaping up to be a good companion. Love the new intro graphics and the music! I also like the addition that is mentioned in Your Lions spoiler. :ebert:

I got my mum into Dr Who back when David Tennant came into it. I don't think she's seen the Christopher Eccleston ones... Anyway at the end of every episode she texts me some sort of quip or pun or a line from the show... It's our thing!

Saturday she wrote "I don't know where I am........." :D

We'll, since we're admitting to it, I've got the figures for all 11 Doctors (yes, all 11), plus Rose, Martha, Donna, Amy, River...and classic series companions Leela, Peri, Jo Grant and the Brigadier...as well as the original Master (Roger Delgado)

All the Doctors?! :o Awesome! :ebert:

The WiFi episode was pretty good. Setting things up.

As for merchandising, you can see that we're doing our part to keep the budget up!

:LOL:

I do have something else, but it isn't from a store...

I got my son into Doctor Who, and now he loves it. It's so much fun when you can share little things with your kids. So, we watch together and enjoy.

Anyway, I was on a business trip recently, and when I got back, he told me that he had made something for me. Here it is:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/RamsATW/0012.jpg

Isn't that cool?

• Like 1

As for merchandising, you can see that we're doing our part to keep the budget up!

I got my son into Doctor Who, and now he loves it. It's so much fun when you can share little things with your kids. So, we watch together and enjoy.

Anyway, I was on a business trip recently, and when I got back, he told me that he had made something for me. Here it is:

Isn't that cool?

That's awesome!!! :ebert:

Isn't that cool?

Certainly is! :ebert:

Isn't that cool?

Certainly is! :ebert:

Brilliant! :)

From the 50th Anniversary readthrough

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/TDear_1984/TennantSmith_zpscf051b66.jpg

• Like 2

I've been struggling with Matt Smith's Doctor - cant seem to get into Clara either. Don't know what it is

I was like that for awhile with Matt Smith. Having to take over after David Tennant's excellent performance as The Doctor was not an easy task. So for a bit I was thinking he's doing a good job but this just isn't on the same level as Tennant was. Matt Smith has grown on me a lot and I really enjoy his Doctor now. All his manerisms and his more manic personality and deliever of his lines is very good.

As for Clara, she has everything you need to be a great companion. It seems that Jenna and Matt also had instant chemistry with each other which has really helped me to like her character much faster. That's the thing with this show, they change the main cast more often than any other and it sometimes takes a bit to get used to the new actors.

Blah - that describes how I feel about Clara at the moment. Maybe it's because we know what she has ahead of her. Matt Smith has mellowed his Doctor a little and I can bear to watch him now but yeah, Tennant is a very hard act to follow

Blah - that describes how I feel about Clara at the moment. Maybe it's because we know what she has ahead of her. Matt Smith has mellowed his Doctor a little and I can bear to watch him now but yeah, Tennant is a very hard act to follow

Speak for yourself on knowing what's ahead for Clara because I sure don't. They've given her a backround very different from any other companion. We don't know who or what she is yet? Why has she died twice in two different timelines and does not remember The Doctor or anything that happened even though The Doctor remembers everything? I think they've created a companion with some intrigue and i'm looking forward to how her character unfolds.

• Like 1

I absolutely loved David Tennant as the last Doctor, I actually liked Billie Piper's Rose Tyler (go ahead - spank me), it took about 3 episodes to get used to Matt Smith and now I quite like him, loved Amy and Rory Pond, and now I'm trying to get used to Clara Oswain (?)

My theory about Clara is she's a Time Lady. Don't ask why.

• Like 1