Money where your mouth is!

losingit2k

There's been much bitching and moaning about the set list. It's to short, the song selections suck! Well here's mine. I think its the placement of the songs! I think they are all good songs just placed in the wrong slots.

Here's the challange! Revamp the set but don't change any of the songs being played nor the placement of the songs following video intros.

Here's the current set list for a guide! I'm Telling you it will be tough!

SET 1

THE SPIRIT OF RADIO

TIME STAND STILL

PRESTO

STICK IT OUT

WORKIN' THEM ANGELS

LEAVE THAT THING ALONE

FAITHLESS

BU2B

FREE WILL

MARATHON

SUBDIVISIONS

SET 2

TOM SAWYER

RED BARCHETTA

YYZ

LIMELIGHT

CAMERA EYE

WITCH HUNT

VITAL SIGNS

CARAVAN

LOVE 4 SALE

CLOSER TO THE HEART

2112 OVERTURE / TEMPLES

FAR CRY

ENCORE

LA VILLA STRANGIATO

WORKING MAN

My revamped Setlist:

Set 1:

The Spirit of Radio

Stick it Out

Caravan

BU2B

Presto

Faithless

Working Them Angels

Leave that Thing Alone

Time Stand Still

Subdivision

Marathon

Set 2:

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

Closer to the Heart

Love 4 Sale

2112 Overture/ Temples

Freewill

Far Cry

ENCORE

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

I'm not sure but I think thisorder would work and rock better!

confused13.gif

Edited by losingit2k

I still can't jump on the setlist hate or revamp band wagon. I'm not in the business of trying to tell three of the greatest musicians of all time how to play their own music or what to play or in what order.

Like I've said before, those three guys could play the theme from Sesame Street for three hours and I'd still pay $90 a ticket. And with a smile at that.

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Jul 25 2010, 08:15 PM)
I still can't jump on the setlist hate or revamp band wagon. I'm not in the business of trying to tell three of the greatest musicians of all time how to play their own music or what to play or in what order.

Like I've said before, those three guys could play the theme from Sesame Street for three hours and I'd still pay $90 a ticket. And with a smile at that.

Dude. Neither would I, this is all in good fun! My point was that it would be very difficult to come up with a new set list! The Set list at hand is very good as is! Yeah you canmove some songs around but eventually you will end up with a similar set.

I knew I was going to get crucified for this thread!

eh.gif

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 25 2010, 08:26 PM)
This thread is irrelevant. People are not bitching at the placement of the songs; they are bitching about the songs themselves. Stick It Out..really?

Look, I truly think "Stick it Out" rocks. The song is pretty heavy starting from Alex's rif! So yeah "Stick it Out!" was my second choice. Are you going to tell me Time Stand Still rocks harder than Stick it Out!

no.gif it doesn't.

QUOTE (irish_matt @ Jul 25 2010, 08:27 PM)
Neil needs the acoustic start to Closer to the Heart as his break after the drum solo.

I took that into consideration. I think the beginning of 2112 Overture is much longer than the acoustic part of Closer to the heart.

scared.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 25 2010, 08:29 PM)
This thread is irrelevant. People are not bitching at the placement of the songs; they are bitching about the songs themselves. Stick It Out..really?

Look, I truly think "Stick it Out" rocks. The song is pretty heavy starting from Alex's rif! So yeah "Stick it Out!" was my second choice. Are you going to tell me Time Stand Still rocks harder than Stick it Out!

no.gif it doesn't.

I was just using it as an example.

Stick It Out?

Presto?

Faithless?

Workin Them Angels?

Where's The Weapon? The Enemy Within? Emotion Detector? Lock and Key? Turn the Page? You know, GOOD obscure songs.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 25 2010, 08:36 PM)

no.gif it doesn't.

Stick It Out?

Presto?

Faithless?

Workin Them Angels?

Where's The Weapon? The Enemy Within? Emotion Detector? Lock and Key? Turn the Page? You know, GOOD obscure songs.

They've said they wanted to get a video library of their songs live. Hence, Stick it Out, Presto, Faithless, & Time Stand Still. Yes I agree , Maybe they should have dropped Working them Angles since it's been filmed already on S&A tour. That said I would like to see Lock and Key filmed Live just as well as Cut to the Chase, Test For Echo, Middletown Dreams and others. But these are the songs they gave us and I feel they are good songs.

angry.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 25 2010, 07:36 PM)
. I think its the placement of the songs! I think they are all good songs just placed in the wrong slots.

Sorry, but IMHO one song invalidates that premise: Faithless.

Every fan review I've read of the tour says the same thing: Faithless starts, all signs of life stop.

I like the setlist overall, but Faithless was my one wtf.gif reaction, and nothing I've read since has made me more optimistic about it.

As for coming up with a new setlist... not a problem:

Out: replaced in same slot with: IN:

CTTH <<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>> Cinderella Man

Faithless <<<<<<<<>>>>>>> Armor And Sword

Time Stand Still <<<>>>>>>> Lock And Key

Stick it Out <<<<<<>>>>>>> Cut To The Chase

Presto <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>> War Paint

Then flip Far Cry and TSOR:

SET 1

FAR CRY

LOCK AND KEY

WAR PAINT

CUT TO THE CHASE

WORKIN' THEM ANGELS

LEAVE THAT THING ALONE

ARMOR AND SWORD

BU2B

FREE WILL

MARATHON

SUBDIVISIONS

SET 2

TOM SAWYER

RED BARCHETTA

YYZ

LIMELIGHT

CAMERA EYE

WITCH HUNT

VITAL SIGNS

CARAVAN

LOVE 4 SALE

CINDERELLA MAN

2112 OVERTURE / TEMPLES

THE SPIRIT OF RADIO

ENCORE

LA VILLA STRANGIATO

WORKING MAN

Everybody rock! cool.gif

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 25 2010, 08:47 PM)
Well then they better damn release a DVD of this tour!

I truly think it's in the works. Probably why they are doing all of MP. So they have a video history of the album Live.

cool.gif

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jul 25 2010, 08:49 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 25 2010, 07:36 PM)
. I think its the placement of the songs! I think they are all good songs just placed in the wrong slots.

Sorry, but IMHO one song invalidates that premise: Faithless.

Every fan review I've read of the tour says the same thing: Faithless starts, all signs of life stop.

I like the setlist overall, but Faithless was my one wtf.gif reaction, and nothing I've read since has made me more optimistic about it.

As for coming up with a new setlist... not a problem:

Out: replaced in same slot with: IN:

CTTH <<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>> Cinderella Man

Faithless <<<<<<<<>>>>>>> Armor And Sword

Time Stand Still <<<>>>>>>> Lock And Key

Stick it Out <<<<<<>>>>>>> Cut To The Chase

Presto <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>> War Paint

Then flip Far Cry and TSOR:

SET 1

FAR CRY

LOCK AND KEY

WAR PAINT

CUT TO THE CHASE

WORKIN' THEM ANGELS

LEAVE THAT THING ALONE

ARMOR AND SWORD

BU2B

FREE WILL

MARATHON

SUBDIVISIONS

SET 2

TOM SAWYER

RED BARCHETTA

YYZ

LIMELIGHT

CAMERA EYE

WITCH HUNT

VITAL SIGNS

CARAVAN

LOVE 4 SALE

CINDERELLA MAN

2112 OVERTURE / TEMPLES

THE SPIRIT OF RADIO

ENCORE

LA VILLA STRANGIATO

WORKING MAN

Everybody rock! cool.gif

That wasn't the challange! We seen that on another tread. The challange was to revamp the set with the same songs.

Oh Well just put the nails in me now!

sad.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 25 2010, 09:00 PM)
That wasn't the challange! We seen that on another tread. The challange was to revamp the set with the same songs.

Oh Well just put the nails in me now!

sad.gif

Well, you also said that it would be hard to revamp the setlist, so that was my attempt to show it wasn't that hard cool.gif

My other point is that, as long as Faithless is in the set, there is one song that just plain will not work no matter where you put it.

If I must keep the same songs, then the only thing I'd change is the previously mentioned swap of Far Cry and TSOR.

No nails were intended trink39.gif

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Jul 25 2010, 08:15 PM)
I still can't jump on the setlist hate or revamp band wagon.  I'm not in the business of trying to tell three of the greatest musicians of all time how to play their own music or what to play or in what order. 

Like I've said before, those three guys could play the theme from Sesame Street for three hours and I'd still pay $90 a ticket.  And with a smile at that.

i'll tell them what to play. biggrin.gif

if you paid $90 to listen to 3 hours of the sesame street theme song, i hope you're packing some quality smokes, and fat ones at that. cool10.gif

Edited by ReflectedLight

Stick It Out?
Presto?
Faithless?
Workin Them Angels?

schla03.gif

beathorse.gif

(MY SETLIST)

SET 1

FAR CRY

TIME STAND STILL (amazing second song)

LEAVE THAT THING ALONE

PRESTO

STICK IT OUT

WORKIN' THEM ANGELS

FAITHLESS

CARAVAN

BU2B

FREE WILL

MARATHON

SET 2

TOM SAWYER

RED BARCHETTA

YYZ

LIMELIGHT

CAMERA EYE

WITCH HUNT

VITAL SIGNS

SUBDIVISIONS

LOVE 4 SALE

CLOSER TO THE HEART

2112 OVERTURE / TEMPLES

LA VILLA STRANGIATO

ENCORE

WORKING MAN

THE SPIRIT OF THE RADIO

(actual setlist)

SET 1

THE SPIRIT OF RADIO

TIME STAND STILL

PRESTO

STICK IT OUT

WORKIN' THEM ANGELS

LEAVE THAT THING ALONE

FAITHLESS

BU2B

FREE WILL

MARATHON

SUBDIVISIONS

SET 2

TOM SAWYER

RED BARCHETTA

YYZ

LIMELIGHT

CAMERA EYE

WITCH HUNT

VITAL SIGNS

CARAVAN

LOVE 4 SALE

CLOSER TO THE HEART

2112 OVERTURE / TEMPLES

FAR CRY

ENCORE

LA VILLA STRANGIATO

WORKING MAN

I haven't seen it yet so I don't know anything about the video intros, but if the intros are song specific, why couldn't they be moved, too?

Far Cry

Time Stand Still

Presto

Stick It Out

Workin' Them Angels

Leave That Thing Alone

Faithless

Freewill

Caravan

BU2B

Closer to the Heart

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

Marathon

Love 4 Sale

Alex

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

Subdivisions

The Spirit of Radio

A few notes on my choices:

Far Cry is an opener. I completely disagree with closing with anything so new when you have a catalog as deep as Rush has. Close with a classic. But with the pyro and everything else Far Cry has going on, it's a perfect opener. Why blow the wad so soon with TSOR?

As for the rest of the first set, it's nothing special, but it's still decent. I would pull the two strongest songs (IMO, Subdivisions and Marathon---Marathon gets the nod over freewill because it's fresh, while Freewill is something they do every time) and use them to push the second set/encore to greater heights. I generally prefer that shows go that way anyway---start with a decent bang but don't go too crazy early. Save the big guns for later in the show and then just keep kicking us in the gut with song after song.

Besides, I also wanted to put a staple like Freewill after Faithless to get back some momentum among the casual fans. Then do the same thing again with Closer to the Heart to close the set. (I haven't heard the new ending to CTTH, so I may reconsider this when I hear it and decide that it is fine where it is---I really wish they'd picked any other older song over CTTH).

A side note on the casual fans: I am a hardcore and Rush is the greatest band in the world to me, as is the case with most of you. But I think possibly the greatest role the casual fans play for any band in the concert setting is to keep the energy going. I know we've all been to shows where we were into the band but not everyone else was. It's not nearly as much fun when you are the only one going nuts. I like it better when the whole house is rocking, and keeping the casual fans going will help you do that. Just my opinion.

For the second set, I really wanted to keep it going after MP, and thought Marathon was the best song to do it. It's fresh, upbeat and would likely keep all of those who were waiting for a break after MP in their seats.

Closing the set with LVS and Working Man is just personal preference. The three songs in the encore are just more personal for me, so that's why I put them there. I like encores to be a real blowout. Not to mention, 2112 is a perfect song to begin an encore. For me, it's an "end of show" type of song, so beginning a set probably isn't the best fit unless you're playing the entire song. Playing the entire song would make it a better song to end a set with, anyway, like on the T4E tour. And TSOR always seems like a closer to me, even though it begins with "Begin the day..." It just has such a climactic ending.

Edited by amish_ashaman

Some of you have obviously been a lot luckier than I have. When I give my exaggerated version of what I'd gladly pay to watch Rush play, it's because I've been listening to them for 30 years and this tour will be only my third show. By the time I was old enough to go to a concert they were in hiatus. Now they are one of the biggest acts of the 21st century and my favorite band ever. I will go see them crochet a blanket for $90 a ticket.

no.gif it doesn't.

Stick It Out?

Presto?

Faithless?

Workin Them Angels?

Totally agree..I mean..Presto? Man, choose just 1 of the songs you listed instead. I know they can't please everyone, but how many are pleased to see Faithless played? I hear crickets.....