My review of the 7/24 Jones Beach show

Shreddy Lee

Let me first say, for those who don't know, this was my first ever Rush show, so I don't have the years of experience of some others. But perhaps it'll be interesting to all the seasoned old veterans to know how a first-timer experienced it all.

There will be spoilers abound in this post, so beware if you haven't yet been to the show.

Allow me to make clear my mindset about the whole thing: I was so excited, and extremely grateful that I was even getting to see a Rush show in the first place. So, I'm not one of the "haters" who threw a tantrum over not liking the setlist or anything like that.

It was a pure joy for me to witness some of my favorites being performed, such as Freewill, Leave That Thing Alone, La Villa, and YYZ in particular: Geddy completely nailed his solos, and when he did the classic head tap, I had the grin of a giddy little child spread across my face. The instrumental jam in Freewill was as awesome as ever. They really were playing with the same ferocity they did on the original recordings.

I have to mention some specific performances: even being the Geddy-worshipper that I am, I had my doubts as to whether he could still pull off the bassline in Marathon without it seeming slowed down or simplified. He shut me up quite nicely by melting the skin off of my face with his outstanding playing on that song. He also did very, very well with the high vocal part after the jam in Freewill. And I drooled at the extended bass soloing in Red Barchetta. As for Alex, I was downright amazed at his solos, such as in The Camera Eye, Working Man, and most of all, La Villa. Those solos were BLAZING. The man has still got it, there is no doubt about it. I couldn't focus on Neil too much because I could hardly see any of him while he was hidden behind that kit, but he knocked his solo out of the park and I felt it was different enough that it didn't feel like a re-hash of the old one.

I already really liked Caravan and BU2B, and hearing them live was a thrill for me. They fit right in and they rocked hard. Also, the stuff I'd read about the changes to La Villa and Working Man (the polka intro and reggae intro, respectively) had me worried, but it turns out people have really blown these way out of proportion. They only change a small amount of the beginnings of the songs, and in a live setting it's very fun to hear an unexpected take like that on an old classic. After that, they go back to playing the songs as their normal, rocking selves.

Even though there were a couple of songs in the first set that I don't particularly enjoy (Time Stand Still, Presto, Workin' Them Angels) the boys made them work so well that I was able to get into them and groove along with the rest of the crowd with ease. I didn't feel like they hurt the show in any way, I was just fine with them. And whereas I was pretty much indifferent to Stick It Out before, I now have much more of an appreciation for it. It's such a hard rocking song that just worked so well in a live show. (They couldn't do anything to make me like Faithless more, but hey, they're only human.)

Nothing is perfect though, and while I'm not trying to nitpick, I feel it's fair to mention a few of these very minor things.

-I was pretty sure Geddy was starting to forget some of the lyrics during Subdivisions, but he got back on track pretty quickly.

-Alex seemed to mess up a few times towards the end of La Villa.

-Something happened, I think it was during Red Barchetta, I couldn't tell if it was a mistake and the three of them lost each other for a moment, or a planned change to the song.

-It also seemed like during the solo in Working Man, Alex might have gotten a bit lost and the others had to work to successfully rejoin him, but I may be mistaken here.

But again, I'm not criticizing them at all for this, I know they are human and they make mistakes, and it is part of any live show. I didn't mind it, just mentioning that it happened. I was glad there were no major technical glitches like I heard of with some of the other shows. The only other thing of note was someone apparently throwing a shirt or something similar in Geddy's direction, and it getting wrapped around his mic stand. A guy had to run in from the side and remove it, mid-song! My only real complaint was, just as another poster mentioned with a different venue, the large set of speakers hanging down was significantly blocking my view of the main screen from where I was sitting. But I know that's the venue's fault and not the band's.

Of course, the visual presentation of it all was spectacular. The videos, the fireworks, the light show, all of it was just great. It's one thing to see this stuff on the DVDs, but to experience these elements for yourself... there's nothing else like it.

Even now, hours later, I'm astonished that I was lucky enough to witness such an extraordinary event in person. The simple fact that I was in the same physical place as Geddy, Alex and Neil, these people who I've admired and only watched on screens up until then, and that I was able to see them in action with my own two eyes, is an incredible thing to me. I will have this night burned in my brain for a long time to come.

A friend who was with me took some videos of certain songs - if they are decent enough quality, he may upload them to Youtube. If so, I'll be sure to share the links here.

Edited by Digital Man

Yeah, I was there too. I was in section 25. It was my first Rush concert too. Flawless. I had no complaints with the setlist. Like you said I was glad just to be there. We need to really appreciate these guys. The only band from the 70's still releasing music and touring!! I will try to see them as many times as possible till they retire.

Cheers!!!

QUOTE (1dgbass @ Jul 25 2010, 10:12 AM)
Yeah, I was there too. I was in section 25. It was my first Rush concert too. Flawless. I had no complaints with the setlist. Like you said I was glad just to be there. We need to really appreciate these guys. The only band from the 70's still releasing music and touring!! I will try to see them as many times as possible till they retire.

Cheers!!!

Uh...that's not true. Not even close.

I was there, section 5R. I have been to 14 previous Rush shows (my first was Grace Under Pressure at MAG) and I have to say, I have never seen the band perform better. Geddy's voice and bass playing was top notch, Alex was on fire and Neil was as perfect as ever.

No complaints about the set list...and while it has never been a personal favorite, I have to say that Marathon was the highlight of the night for me...simply amazing!!!

Loved the show, and so did my 11 year old son...it was his first Rush show.

The band never disappoints, they just seem to get better with age!

Edited by Barry

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jul 25 2010, 05:01 AM)
(They couldn't do anything to make me like Faithless more, but hey, they're only human.)

b_sigh.gif

The one constant I've read about every show this tour

Oh well, 23 out of 24 songs isn't bad 653.gif Great to read that Geddy's voice is still holding up.. hope it lasts until Tampa and W Palm cool.gif

Well yeah, I didn't mean that as a complaint about Faithless, I didn't even mind them playing it because it gave me a chance to sit down and just take in the view for a while. So, it's all good. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Barry @ Jul 25 2010, 12:12 PM)
I have been to 14 previous Rush shows (my first was Grace Under Pressure at MAG) and I have to say, I have never seen the band perform better.  Geddy's voice and bass playing was top notch, Alex was on fire and Neil was as perfect as ever.

That's great to hear. Even though I don't have as much of a frame of reference, I really did feel like they were just about maintaining perfection the whole time through. It seems they do only get better with time. I am still blown away by the crazy things they were pulling off, they really shredded the hell out of just about every song. I loved every minute of it.

i was there too! amazing show..but uuhh....where i was, why was everyone sitting down for most of the show!? i really annoyed me.

I saw them in camden on wednesday and everyone was one their feet the whole time and the atmosphere was great! But idk, my whole section sitting down was a bummer for me

Some of the fans in my section were so freaking annoying. They were drunk and just plain rude- mean people suck.

Other than that I was just happy to be there- yes it was humid, yeah the acoustics suck at Jones Beach but still, it was RUSH, I was there and that's all that mattered.

Edited by Analog Kelly

Glad you enjoyed the show.I never thought I'd say it but if I had the money I'd catch at least 5 east coast shows on this tour.I'll go as far as saying that the show I saw in Camden was the best Rush show ever BY FAR.(I've seen 14 previous shows).there's something about the whole package that just makes this tour really special.I was one of the setlist haters/whiners but damn I'm glad I went to the show.I'm still thinking about it 4 days later.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jul 25 2010, 06:01 AM)
The only other thing of note was someone apparently throwing a shirt or something similar in Geddy's direction, and it getting wrapped around his mic stand. A guy had to run in from the side and remove it, mid-song!

I saw that. I thought it was hilarious.

thank god for that breeze yesterday! the wind was in full force for tailgating and it cooled it down a bit. it was 100 degrees out about 10 miles inland.

haha never thought this would happen: i snuck up over the barricades leading to the floor because i saw some of my buddies there and they were suprised but...

i went over to say hi to howard U and this DB security kid cut off his conversation with the security girl to order me to button my shirt! lol wtf!

the second set i was in heaven because i enjoyed a hand-rolled fuente maduro cigar whose aroma and taste were so UNBELIEVEABLE that not 1 person complained. i enjoyed it for 45 minutes here and there and made sure i didn't upset N E ONE

sweet-ass cigar! 10/10. great time at the show with a nice stoagie mmm. gathering b4 was outstanding. i met a lot of people and saw some old friends, too.

Edited by daveyt

QUOTE (peoplecanteatmachinefood @ Jul 25 2010, 06:13 PM)
The only other thing of note was someone apparently throwing a shirt or something similar in Geddy's direction, and it getting wrapped around his mic stand. A guy had to run in from the side and remove it, mid-song!

Ged was PISSED. You could see it on his face. 1287.gif

QUOTE (Echoes @ Jul 25 2010, 09:48 PM)
QUOTE (peoplecanteatmachinefood @ Jul 25 2010, 06:13 PM)

Ged was PISSED. You could see it on his face. 1287.gif

Kind of like when a smiley face beach ball got on stage at the Molson show laugh.gif

QUOTE (Analog Kelly @ Jul 25 2010, 03:54 PM)
Some of the fans in my section were so freaking annoying. They were drunk and just plain rude- mean people suck.

Other than that I was just happy to be there- yes it was humid, yeah the acoustics suck at Jones Beach but still, it was RUSH, I was there and that's all that mattered.

I know what you mean about the acoustics. It was probably one of the main reasons I chose not to go to this show.

My son was not happy when I mentioned on Saturday morning that Rush was playing in JB tonight and we weren't going laugh.gif

We'll be at the PNC show in NJ on Sept 3rd. The acoustics aren't great there either, but better than JB most of the time, and there's a roof over your head if you're in the seats.

Well, i get a call at 11am on Sat morning. My buddy who is a D.J. asked if i wanted a pair of tix for this show. I said Yes without thinking we would need to get someone to watch the kids laugh.gif Well, we got someone and off we went, v.i.p. parking also. Not bad. When we sit down i remember the reason that i Hate going to J.B. , No Beer. A big deal ? Not so much since i did not pay for the tix or the parking so screw it . The band played great but the f-n people , it was like someone died . I had an asshat in front of me that only time he got into it was when the "Hits" were played. I am not even talking all of M.P. , songs like Freewill and CTTH. Why do these people go ? The only people i saw into it the whole show were the people down front . Stay the Fu*k home next time if you want to sleep, plain and simple . Great show and the first time my wife saw them on this tour and she had a blast . I wish i had time to hang with everyone before the show but this was a last min thing. Hot as hell also trink38.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 26 2010, 08:37 AM)
the handful of different bands i've seen there, the acoustics were not good for all of them including richard marx. wacko.gif it was a blind date years ago and a free ticket. how i suffered through that one. sad.gif

rofl3.gif

Here are some of the videos my friend filmed that were decent enough to upload. The video's not the best (not that we were in the best location for filming either) but the sound isn't too bad. You can hear Geddy's delicious bass tone in LTTA very nicely.

Edited to add:

There are several more but I'm not sure if we'll upload them.

Edited by Shreddy Lee