Summerfest

Crowd attendance was a bit over 15,000 tonight for the show...talked to a local promoter who was pleased since it was an increase over their last 2 visits.

Upside - Presto is finally getting its groove and cleaned up compared to night 1. Caravan is really becoming the Freewillish jam crowd cheer moment of new material in which we haven't seen in decades. Light show more expanded tonight versus other shows. Definitely a bigger rig. Time Stand Still is getting a nice welcome back..that is for sure. This crowd came to hear Moving Pictures...no doubt about it.

Downside - Neil's drums are horribly tuned. There is no high pitched toms...they are all low and boxy sounding. I don't know what is going on with his drums but they look amazing but sound f***ing terrible. Alex had at least 4 technical snafu's tonight and the encore was a train wreck for him...total loss of sound in his guitar.

Geddy's voice. Why is he trying to sing everything in high pitch? His voice was sounding so relaxed in recent years. His high notes are straining. When he relaxes the voice he sounds like a singer and not someone moaning.

Faithless, Working Them Angels, Stick It Out, and Leave That Thing Alone were total momentum killers. These songs go nowhere and LTTA should be shelved for Where's My Thing?, Monkey Biz, Malnar, or Limbo. Nah...Limbo would suck just as bad..

Common thing heard - Can't wait to hear Jacobs Ladder.

3 stars...will be seeing them a bit later in the tour for a few shows towards the end.

Your review is right on the money.

Neils drums did sound horrible. The snare drum in the first set sounded closer to a bongo than a snare drum. It sounded like they tuned it a little better in the second set, but the rest of the drums were definitely out of tune. His solo, although good, was not quite up to par with some of his others. It never really grabbed me and was a bit boring.

Geddy really does need to lay off those high notes. Just knock em down an octave so we don't have to cringe when he doesn't get them right.

Alex, when his guitar was working, sounded great. He hit all the notes and was my favorite band member tonight.

I made a point to watch the crowd in the first set. Yeah I'm gonna beathorse.gif but after TSS the wind was robbed from everyones sails. People were so pumped after TSOR and then it was a slow and stead decline of crowd energy. I know they typically won't change setlists midstream, but if they are planning shooting a DVD on this tour they should change out 2 or 3 songs to bring some life to the first set. I love the song Presto but was worried to hear it live. It was actually very good and they managed to turn it into a jam. Faithless has to go. Not only did the song make me squirm in my seat, but the video that went along with it had butterflies and other sappy things going on. Finally, Freewill starts playing and the crowd bounced back and all was well.

Second set mentionables:

Red Barchetta was as good as I've ever heard it.

Camera Eye was great, format was changed a bit to make it not so long, but still awesome.

2112 was incredible

LaVilla (one of my all time favs) was ruined by Alex playing air guitar the first 20 seconds, and the song never really bounced back after that.

Far Cry rocked as well as Caravan.

This was only their third show of the tour and I know things will only get better from here on out, and even with a few trainwrecks I also give it 3 stars.

LOL...couldn't have said it better myself...haha. For real, Neil's drums just sound so out of tune and everyone who was a musician who I spoke with during intermission said the same thing. I have no idea what is going on with Lifeson's rig...he was tight all night but you could tell by the end of the show he was done with wondering what was awaiting him next in the fail department equipment wise.

You could count the hundreds of people who just up and walked out during Working Them Angels and Faithless. There were 4 guys who had a copy of the set list and it was like clockwork. They were there for the opening video, spirit, time stand still, presto, drink run, bu2b, chatted, made cell phone calls, marathon all came back for and never left once after that.

If that doesn't speak volumes...I don't know what does.

As for the quality of Neil's solo? I'd rather not get into it. I will just say the African stuff on the V-Drums has some interesting off time stuff and the catchy cowbell accents. But that is it. By far his least interesting solo in his career.

IMO, his drum solo was short, but super jam packed with exhilarating substance. It grabbed some tiny hints of his past trademarks. I thought it was awesome.

I felt that the whole mix in general was leaning towards the midrange and highs and lacking in low end.

QUOTE (farcryoverspilledmilk @ Jul 4 2010, 02:11 AM)
LOL...couldn't have said it better myself...haha. For real, Neil's drums just sound so out of tune and everyone who was a musician who I spoke with during intermission said the same thing.

soooo...some "musicians" in the audience know more about drums; how they are to, not only be arranged and tuned- but also how they should be played, than the best skin basher the good lord has ever blessed us with? z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

no.gif

QUOTE (farcryoverspilledmilk @ Jul 4 2010, 02:11 AM)

There were 4 guys who had a copy of the set list and it was like clockwork. They were there for the opening video, spirit, time stand still, presto, drink run, bu2b, chatted, made cell phone calls, marathon all came back for and never left once after that.

If that doesn't speak volumes...I don't know what does.

it speaks to me...it says: 4 idiots spent $100+ on a ticket to miss some of it by talking on their phones. cat.gif cat.gif cat.gif cat.gif

the actions of some people does not dictate the validity of a setlist or performance. dazed025.gif dazed025.gif dazed025.gif dazed025.gif dazed025.gif dazed025.gif

2.gif is touring people: thank f-ing GOD!!!!. none of the critics around here can spoil that! no matter how hard they try to be a debbie downer, 2.gif is doing what they do: kick moon.gif

I was really pumped for the show, and read alot of the threads that took the setlist to task. I was in the camp of "thank god Rush is touring, stop all the whining about the setlist." I was excited to hear Presto & Faithless.

I have to agree with OP. I enjoyed the show, but certainly not one of Rush' best. Painful to watch Alex deal with all the guitar mishaps. I was in Sec 5, the crowd was not into it as much as I'd seen with the S&A Summerfest gig. First setlist did not fully engage the crowd...alot of sitting, texting, etc.

I was standing for alot of the show, at one point during the 1st set, a lady behind me asked "do you think you can sit down?" Boy did this get me steamed...you want to sit, fine, but don't expect me to...I paid for my seats too.

Anyway, I'd also rate the show a 3. It was incredible to hear all of MP, and Camera Eye live. Loved the videos too. But overall, Rush was not as good as their S&A legs...those shows really set the bar high imo. I'd have to agree that a few of their songs in 1st set should probably be resplaced to get the crowd back into it (SIO, Faithless..). That being said, I love this band and am grateful for the opportunity to hear them play. I hope they continue to tour...I will always support them. 2.gif

Hysterical. I have played drums since age 4, I think I know a thing or 2,000 about tuned drums. Neil's drums do not sound good and are tuned down so low the fills that are there to compensate for him choosing to no longer have concert toms or even the rack of smaller closed toms that he used to have, sound off, odd, and just flat out wrong.

I have heard Rush cover bands with drummers on YouTube who have painstakingly gone out of their way to get to Neil's exact sound so the notes match. Beautiful looking drums and beautiful riser he has, but the sound is just WRONG.

I get a kick out of some people who jump all over you if you criticize this band in any way shape or form. They are not perfect so get over it. It doesn't mean I don't love the band any longer, but man, you should be able to critique what you heard and saw without someone getting all over you.

The Time Machine Tour's set list is very average...there...I said it. I didn't say the entire show sucked. Far from it. But seriously, get over the whole they can do no wrong approach.

QUOTE (farcryoverspilledmilk @ Jul 4 2010, 12:20 PM)
Hysterical. I have played drums since age 4, I think I know a thing or 2,000 about tuned drums. Neil's drums do not sound good and are tuned down so low the fills that are there to compensate for him choosing to no longer have concert toms or even the rack of smaller closed toms that he used to have, sound off, odd, and just flat out wrong.

I have heard Rush cover bands with drummers on YouTube who have painstakingly gone out of their way to get to Neil's exact sound so the notes match. Beautiful looking drums and beautiful riser he has, but the sound is just WRONG.

I get a kick out of some people who jump all over you if you criticize this band in any way shape or form. They are not perfect so get over it. It doesn't mean I don't love the band any longer, but man, you should be able to critique what you heard and saw without someone getting all over you.

The Time Machine Tour's set list is very average...there...I said it. I didn't say the entire show sucked. Far from it. But seriously, get over the whole they can do no wrong approach.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (farcryoverspilledmilk @ Jul 4 2010, 12:20 PM)

so your ears know better than the professor's ears on how his kit should sound? that's what i'm hearing from you. i'm not saying they are a bunch of robots and never make mistakes. mistakes are a part of live music. i actually like to see a mistake here and there- i like to see how they react to it. i just don't like how some folks make it sound like they should be the stage production manager or something. a hobby is a lot different than a profession bubba.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 4 2010, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 4 2010, 07:02 PM)
Sounded like a shitty show.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif you sound like the critics in the newspapers... rofl3.gif rofl3.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

Well do you blame me? Everybody here is saying how the crowd went for piss breaks, Ged's voice sounded like shit, Neil's drums sounded awful, and Alex was struggling with the guitar all night. Sounds like a bad show to me.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 4 2010, 08:49 PM)
QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 4 2010, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 4 2010, 07:02 PM)
Sounded like a shitty show.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif you sound like the critics in the newspapers... rofl3.gif rofl3.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

Well do you blame me? Everybody here is saying how the crowd went for piss breaks, Ged's voice sounded like shit, Neil's drums sounded awful, and Alex was struggling with the guitar all night. Sounds like a bad show to me.

If that is the case, I hope they get things tightened up by Sunday yes.gif

Geddy said we were awesome last night...and he knows we dealt with a less then stellar performance by the bands own standards, i mean c'mon, it was enough to piss alex off very apparently. It was still good to me though, especially when Ged jammed and filled the spot for lavilla.

Thats called live performance. We all held tight with the band and never let them down, as they did not let us down. You could hear Geds sincerity when he thanked us all, and I know they will not forget their audiance and base, as well as this shows performance.

We were indeed awesome last night.

They will remember and probably not put us so close to the beginning of the next tour.

Loved last night the more i think about it

tkr

QUOTE (The Killer Rabbit @ Jul 4 2010, 09:39 PM)
Geddy said we were awesome last night...and he knows we dealt with a less then stellar performance by the bands own standards, i mean c'mon, it was enough to piss alex off very apparently. It was still good to me though, especially when Ged jammed and filled the spot for lavilla.

Thats called live performance. We all held tight with the band and never let them down, as they did not let us down. You could hear Geds sincerity when he thanked us all, and I know they will not forget their audiance and base, as well as this shows performance.

We were indeed awesome last night.

They will remember and probably not put us so close to the beginning of the next tour.

Loved last night the more i think about it

tkr

Well said....I can't get over the view from that venue. Spectacular!

I'm happy to hear that you are a fellow drummer Farcry. I've only been playing about 10 years and it's strictly for my own fun and entertainment. You do not have to be the professor to tell that something was up with those drums that night. Maybe it was the speakers or the sound leaving the amps, which is why Neil didn't notice and demand it fixed! Maybe it was the 90 percent humidity!

I remember asking my drum instructor once about tuning drums, and how they should sound. One thing I will never forgot is what he first told me. "If they seem to sound like shit, they probably do!"

I don't want people to think that I was bashing the show, but after seeing Rush multiple times you kind of expect perfection. I realize that this is not likely, but if we don't hold them to a higher standard, they may as well be any other horrible live band. I am going to try and hit one more show this tour, and I'm sure things will be much better.