(*SPOILER*) Rush...Come on....

Tarkus406

What's with the freakin polka intro to La Villa and the dragged out reggae intro to Working Man? I mean 30 seconds is fine for that stuff..it's fun then...but over 2 minutes of reggae Working Man? A bit much if you ask me.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Jul 1 2010, 06:54 AM)
What's with the freakin polka intro to La Villa and the dragged out reggae intro to Working Man? I mean 30 seconds is fine for that stuff..it's fun then...but over 2 minutes of reggae Working Man? A bit much if you ask me.

I agree but just because im not a fan of when bands do this. Even though I know Rush likes to get playful sometimes, to me id rather leave that stuff to cover bands and youtubers. There is enough of that stuff up there anyway.

I dont need to see rush spend half of working man playing reggae, especially if they arent good at it. Geddy is so bad trying to sound like a reggae singer, embarrassingly bad. Almost like someone trying to do an impression at a comedy show but isnt that good at it. Its painful to watch.

The clips are also a lot longer too. That intro video is almost 5 minutes isn't it?

I like when they do stuff like that.

I like these little tidbits - the show is 3+ hours long - and you're complaining about 2 minutes? confused13.gif

If I want carbon-copies of their songs on CD - I'd sit at home and listen to the CD.

I think it's awesome when Rush (or any band) "personalizes" a concert experience. When they do something that ISN'T on a CD at home that you can listen to over and over again.

I am really glad that as they've gotten older, they've loosened it up a bit.

Just my 2 coppers, though.

The reggae intro i have seen is only 1:20 minutes long. If i had been in attendance it would be a highlight of the show for me.

Musically speaking I think its solid. Ged does fine too singing IMO.

I would be curious to see if those complaining listen to reggae?

QUOTE (DetachedandSubdivided @ Jul 1 2010, 07:51 AM)
I like these little tidbits - the show is 3+ hours long - and you're complaining about 2 minutes? confused13.gif

If I want carbon-copies of their songs on CD - I'd sit at home and listen to the CD.

I think it's awesome when Rush (or any band) "personalizes" a concert experience. When they do something that ISN'T on a CD at home that you can listen to over and over again.

instead of the polka intro to la villa, how bout alex shredding before the song, like on exit stage left? that's what the people want to hear. alex going off and that would be a true time machine moment.

I am all for a little improv to shake things up. I took my wife to a Tool concert and I really loved the fact that the songs sounded almost identical to the CD versions. Their musicianship was really that good. My wife was pissed because Maynard hid by the drums all night and besides the vids on the screens there was really not that much energy from the stage. I see both sides but in a live setting I want to feel and see that energy! We should be thrilled that RUSH is still delivering on that front! Of course their musicianship is phenomenal! RUSH on!

2.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 1 2010, 07:54 AM)
The reggae intro i have seen is only 1:20 minutes long. If i had been in attendance it would be a highlight of the show for me.

Musically speaking I think its solid. Ged does fine too singing IMO.

I would be curious to see if those complaining listen to reggae?

I listen to a lot of reggae, I have a bunch of playlists on my ipod. I like listening to it in the summer, and Geddy is NOT good at signing reggae. He sounds like he's trying to do an impersonation of someone signing reggae, but he just doesnt have the sound for it, doesnt have the rhythm in his voice to do it, it just comes off sounding like a crappy band at some local fair. Those bands do that crap all the time. I was waiting for them to break into a Neil Diamond cover, Sweeeeet Carrrrroline, thats the next step down from what they did.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 1 2010, 08:01 AM)
I like these little tidbits - the show is 3+ hours long - and you're complaining about 2 minutes?  confused13.gif

instead of the polka intro to la villa, how bout alex shredding before the song, like on exit stage left? that's what the people want to hear. alex going off and that would be a true time machine moment.

Yeah exactly. That would have been nice. Isnt we get one of the best rock bands of all time TRYING to sound like a band at a fair playing polka and reggae. Awful. But its rush, so somehow the fans will actually defend it, and even find a way to like it. I dont get it.

They could have spend 20 minutes playing country music and I swear some people here would actually defend it. Amazing.

NO ONE ASKED YOU- 3 rush shows does not mean anyone cares what you think. most of all the 3 guys on stage.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 1 2010, 08:30 AM)

Yeah exactly. That would have been nice. Isnt we get one of the best rock bands of all time TRYING to sound like a band at a fair playing polka and reggae. Awful. But its rush, so somehow the fans will actually defend it, and even find a way to like it. I dont get it.

They could have spend 20 minutes playing country music and I swear some people here would actually defend it. Amazing.

I personally think it is more of just accepting and dealing.

It sure isnt going to change anything by posting about how bad it is on the internet.

So for me at least, while I dont qualify it as "good music" (the "reggae" thing and whatnot) I just accept it and find it endearing that they want to have fun.

Edit: if it was good country music, I for one would defend it.

unsure.gif (well, Folk music more, not shit kicking horse barn country)

Edited by Solitudeix

Its alright if someone doesnt mind it of course, or even likes it, Im just saying Im not a fan of when they do this. Ive seen too many crappy fair bands do this in my life that Im not in love with it when Rush does.

Id rather them keep the fun stuff to the videos, not extend that into the songs as well. Thats crossing the line for me.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 1 2010, 08:01 AM)
I like these little tidbits - the show is 3+ hours long - and you're complaining about 2 minutes?  confused13.gif

I agree 100% That is something I have been wanting to hear forever.

Guess it is a moment captured never to be repeated again.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 1 2010, 09:50 AM)

NO ONE ASKED YOU- 3 rush shows does not mean anyone cares what you think. most of all the 3 guys on stage.

Is that any reason for you to be a dick? If you don't care what I think, why respond?

Edited by Tarkus407

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 1 2010, 08:50 AM)

Yo....chill out. People can voice whatever they want without having to have hostile remarks back at them.

Some people don't dig everything the band does.

We are all huge Rush fans...otherwise we would not be here trying to have discussions about everything Rush.

It's all good and don't take it so personally. It;s not like this guy is a troll trying to stir crap up.

Chillax.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 1 2010, 11:17 AM)
QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 1 2010, 08:50 AM)

Yo....chill out. People can voice whatever they want without having to have hostile remarks back at them.

Some people don't dig everything the band does.

We are all huge Rush fans...otherwise we would not be here trying to have discussions about everything Rush.

It's all good and don;t take it so personally. It;s not like this guy is a troll trying to stir crap up.

Chillax.

Exactly, I'm not trying to start anything. It's amazing what kind of shit innocent threads can turn into on this board...

We need to remember that we're not Counterparts, okay? laugh.gif

Is the reggae intro similar in any way(s) to the reggae intro they did in 1981/1982?

I enjoyed it. I think they do reggae very well actually. The polka thing was fun just because it took a moment to figure out what they were doing. I enjoy a good "what the f*ck?" moment.