Knowing music vs not

grooloops

I usually try to figure out the time signature on some songs by tapping along and things like that. Im a drummer, so usually my knowledge of the drums has helped figure out some of Neil's tricky fills and stuff like that. It's quite fun breaking apart a song, figuring out which pieces go where and then drumming along to it. I've got like 80% of Caravan figured out this way 1022.gif

QUOTE (grooloops @ Jun 17 2010, 10:59 PM)
Since I know nothing about music, theory/playing/recognizing time signature, the like, How much can those of you who know, get out of Rush, then those of us who don't. As in to say, how much more of a trip is it listening with that knowledge. If you can come up with some sort of way to compare, might be hard tongue.gif

cool10.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Jun 19 2010, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jun 17 2010, 11:17 PM)
If I learn how to play song, it takes the magic out of it when I listen to it on mp3... So I never learn/cover songs anymore.

It's actually the opposite for me. I love being able to play a song, because when I listen to it, I know exactly what's being played on all instruments. It's like being able to watch a movie and not miss a single detail about anything.

yes.gif

As a virtuoso on the Jew's Harp and the Washboard, I can tell you all with clarifying certainty that I can appreciate Alex's guitar solos more than anyone else with similar qualifications in the North West quadrant of Illinois.

I have a year to finish my BA in Music Education, and I love listening to Rush. I usually like to figure out time signature changes, chord types that kind of stuff.

It's mostly a drumming thing for me. Like 6/8-7/8 part in Jacobs Ladder.....before I was trained I could play it but I didn't know what I was playing, now it's much easier.

Not much of a listening difference though they kick ass either way!

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 20 2010, 08:21 AM)
As a virtuoso on the Jew's Harp and the Washboard, I can tell you all with clarifying certainty that I can appreciate Alex's guitar solos more than anyone else with similar qualifications in the North West quadrant of Illinois.

No doubt..

Having mastered the cowbell, even the 6/8-7/8 parts, I have an uncanny ability to appreciate any bell-like sound.

This ability has allowed me to like RUSH far more than any non-musician fans.

Seriously... I believe most non-musician fans have NO problem understanding and appreciating the technical brilliance, the breathtaking complexity of time sig changes and obscure chord progressions and the overall advanced musicianship of RUSH.

Archived