Which Era Do You Like Better?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which Era Do You Like Better?

• Rush 74-77
    • Rush84-87

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Jocky Balboa @ Jun 19 2010, 12:06 PM)
Tbh, I like both eras and actually see the HYF, Presto and RTB era as their weakest. I know some will undoubtedly disagree, but I thought HYF was a little over-produced and with Lerxst's contributions marginalised once again, whereas I have always hated the production on Presto and RTB.

I don't dislike Rupert Hine as a producer per se, nor do I think he was wrong for Rush (indeed, I think he could have done a great job on GUP, Power Windows or HYF, if given the chance) but when one considers the sound the band were aiming for (i.e. a back to basics hard-rock album) it has to be said that he let them down by producing 2 albums that are, sonically speaking, poor.

I think the thin stripped down treble-ey sound worked better for Presto than on the more majestic sounding RTB. Compared to their other albums, Presto sounds sparse but I think it still works and is a relief after the overproduction of the previous two albums. I also love the tight snare sound Neil had on Presto, something I never really noticed before.

I haven't seen the documentary yet (although I've ordered it from Amazon and am anxiously awaiting its arrival), but I must say it's sad to hear that the band dismisses this era as its nadir. I happen to believe it's the apex of a brilliant climb that began with Permanent Waves. If you listen to "Chronicles" all the way through, you'll hear a stunning amount of growth and maturity from Rush through Hold Your Fire. I love how Rush continue to this day to push themselves to enter previously uncharted musical waters. It's one of the things that makes them so great IMO.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Jun 17 2010, 11:44 PM)
74-77 no contest. Pure rock full of energy exactly what I love.

I do enjoy GUP a lot. PW was stale and full of cheeze and synth. Hold Your Fire same stale cheeze as PW but with less energy.

yup.

My fave era is '75-81 but I also love the first album and Signals and GuP but not as much. I like all the 80's albums but IMO each album after MP was just a little worse than the last.

I voted '74-'77 but I wouldve voted '78-81 if it was up there.

84-87.

A lot more consistency overall, though all I consider AFTK to be the start of their flawless period continuing with Hemispheres, Pew, MP, & Signals.

I think the bass sound on those albums has a lot to do with it too.

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Jun 19 2010, 10:27 AM)
What really bothers me is that they totally shat on 1989-1991...

yeah they introduced Rupert Hine and then suddenly jumped to Counterparts. I'm sure there was alot of discussion about that period that was cut.

Archived