What made your day today? v.2

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Happy Paczki day !!!!

1780744_10151980383812960_972493061_n.jpg?oh=7a4a626171b841bcf68bc758e3d7d0d7&oe=55588CBC&__gda__=1434909751_192f1203cf8f9c92359d28231cd45fe6

Oh, I love them!! My mother used to make them and put strawberry jam in the middle. And once I lived near a Polish Deli that made them on Saturday mornings. I'd go there and buy almost all of them. The lady used to get annoyed at me for buying so many. But, who could help it??? :LOL:

• Like 1

Happy Paczki day !!!!

1780744_10151980383812960_972493061_n.jpg?oh=7a4a626171b841bcf68bc758e3d7d0d7&oe=55588CBC&__gda__=1434909751_192f1203cf8f9c92359d28231cd45fe6

Oh, I love them!! My mother used to make them and put strawberry jam in the middle. And once I lived near a Polish Deli that made them on Saturday mornings. I'd go there and buy almost all of them. The lady used to get annoyed at me for buying so many. But, who could help it??? :LOL:

it's a pretty big deal here in the "d"... people go f***ing ape shit over them. It's funny how many people have NO CLUE what fat tuesday is, or paczki - LET ALONE HOW TO PRONOUNCE THAT WORD :LOL:

i didn't have any today. i'll flare for days if i indulge...

• Like 1

Happy Paczki day !!!!

it's a pretty big deal here in the "d"... people go f***ing ape shit over them. It's funny how many people have NO CLUE what fat tuesday is, or paczki - LET ALONE HOW TO PRONOUNCE THAT WORD :LOL:

It's called a Paczki, but it looks like a donut. Is that pretty much just a donut?

Happy Paczki day !!!!

Same thing here in Milwaukee - big deal with all us Polish folk around these parts. My grandmother used to make these all the time, she loved the prune (which she said is the most traditional flavor), I liked the raspberry or lemon. I was taught at a young age to disregard the spelling completely and say "poonch-kee" although you would never figure that out without a little help

Edited by Lost In Xanadu
  • Like 2

Happy Paczki day !!!!

It's called a Paczki, but it looks like a donut. Is that pretty much just a donut?

pretty much a jelly donut
  • Like 1

Happy Paczki day !!!!

:yes:

First thing's first, how do you pronounce it?

A single fat-packed, Polish-style pastry is called a paczek, pronounced POON-check. If you've had more than one of the nummy waistline-busters, you've eaten paczki (POONCH-kee).

That's right, "paczki" is plural; "paczkis" is not a word. Now you know, and, as they say,

Just what am I putting into my body?

Sweet, sweet tasty goodness. But more specifically, it's a delicious, sugar-dusted pastry packed full with custard, chocolate or fruit jelly - and is stuffed with more than 400 calories and 25 grams of fat, too.

For the traditionalists in the crowd ...

Traditional paczki are prune-filled, but you can relax: You can get them in apricot, lemon, blueberry and more these days. And if you
really
want to do it right, in Poland, Paczki Day is celebrated on Fat Thursday, not Fat Tuesday.

Why do we celebrate Fat Tuesday with paczki?

With Lent quickly approaching - that is, the traditional period of fasting ahead of Easter - Catholics would use up fats and sweets in their cupboards. So now the day before Ash Wednesday has morphed into some sort of last-minute calorie binge before Lent.

Paczki has been the traditional thing to eat in Europe for as long as anyone can remember, at least since the Middle Ages.

How many of these things are sold each year in metro Detroit?

There doesn't appear to be an official paczki tracker, but rest assured, it's "a whole, whole lot," says Joan Bittner of the Hamtramck Art Center. Bittner got started on Fat Thursday, you know, because of tradition.

She says she's up to six so far, "but just like the calories; whose counting?"

Bakeries in Hamtramck have been working around the clock pumping out paczki. Repeated calls to several bakeries in Hamtramck were met with only busy signals.

Figure in a dozen in a box and the pastry's popularity in the region, and there are millions of them sold each year in metro Detroit.

See you at the gym.
  • Like 4

Happy Paczki day !!!!

pretty much a jelly donut

:D

Happy Paczki day !!!!

:yes:

First thing's first, how do you pronounce it?

A single fat-packed, Polish-style pastry is called a paczek, pronounced POON-check. If you've had more than one of the nummy waistline-busters, you've eaten paczki (POONCH-kee).

That's right, "paczki" is plural; "paczkis" is not a word. Now you know, and, as they say,

Just what am I putting into my body?

Sweet, sweet tasty goodness. But more specifically, it's a delicious, sugar-dusted pastry packed full with custard, chocolate or fruit jelly - and is stuffed with more than 400 calories and 25 grams of fat, too.

For the traditionalists in the crowd ...

Traditional paczki are prune-filled, but you can relax: You can get them in apricot, lemon, blueberry and more these days. And if you
really
want to do it right, in Poland, Paczki Day is celebrated on Fat Thursday, not Fat Tuesday.

Why do we celebrate Fat Tuesday with paczki?

With Lent quickly approaching - that is, the traditional period of fasting ahead of Easter - Catholics would use up fats and sweets in their cupboards. So now the day before Ash Wednesday has morphed into some sort of last-minute calorie binge before Lent.

Paczki has been the traditional thing to eat in Europe for as long as anyone can remember, at least since the Middle Ages.

How many of these things are sold each year in metro Detroit?

There doesn't appear to be an official paczki tracker, but rest assured, it's "a whole, whole lot," says Joan Bittner of the Hamtramck Art Center. Bittner got started on Fat Thursday, you know, because of tradition.

She says she's up to six so far, "but just like the calories; whose counting?"

Bakeries in Hamtramck have been working around the clock pumping out paczki. Repeated calls to several bakeries in Hamtramck were met with only busy signals.

Figure in a dozen in a box and the pastry's popularity in the region, and there are millions of them sold each year in metro Detroit.

See you at the gym.

Oh yeah, I forgot the custard filled.... THAT was my favorite. It was SO good with hot cocoa

• Like 1

Doughnuts suck! :LOL:

How about this....

http://www.krispykremechallenge.com/

2400 calories, 12 doughnuts, 5 miles, 1 hour. The mantra of the Krispy Kreme Challenge epitomizes the test of physical fitness and gastrointestinal fortitude. What started as a challenge among ten friends has transformed into a nationally publicized charity race, and the number one tradition to complete before graduating from North Carolina State University.
  • Like 1

How about this....

2400 calories, 12 doughnuts, 5 miles, 1 hour. The mantra of the Krispy Kreme Challenge epitomizes the test of physical fitness and gastrointestinal fortitude. What started as a challenge among ten friends has transformed into a nationally publicized charity race, and the number one tradition to complete before graduating from North Carolina State University.

No thanks,

I make them all week long. :LOL: I do like the charity thing though.

How about this....

No thanks,

I make them all week long. :LOL: I do like the charity thing though.

http://www.mozzarellamamma.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/time-donuats.jpg
  • Like 2