Baseball Season Begins

anagramking

The Mets-Reds opener comes to a halt when Mets first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz catches a pop-up for his first put-out with his new team, and refuses to return the ball to play.

Hope theres not a man on 3rd with less then 2 outs with a tied score in the bottom of the 9th!... rofl3.gif

And we're off now....

The Big Unit looked sharp tonight. Not overpowering, but he pitched six solid innings. Matsui made a great play robbing Millar of a homer in the second inning, then hit a rope over the center field fence in the 8th when it didn't matter anymore. Tino got a standing O when he pinch hit in the bottom of the 8th. That was nice to see. Wells didn't look so sharp for the Red Sox. He wore Babe Ruth's #3, since his old #33 was taken by Varitek already. Otherwise, the game wasn't even close and Mariano wasn't tested tonight.

Alex Sanchez became the first player to test positive for steroids under the new testing program, and got a 10 day suspension. At first glance, this seems weird, given that he is a fast leadoff hitter who plays center field. This could be an example of somebody who is willng to do whatever he believes is necessary to hold onto a major league job. He has bounced around the league over the past few years, but I never really figured it out. He hit for average, and could steal bases, but apparently he didn't play center field very well. He lost the job to Podsednik in Milwaukee two years ago, then went to Detroit and never fit in there.

Anyway, I bet there are a lot of guys that are struggling to stay in the bigs who are willing to take steroids and try to avoid being tested in the hopes of staying on a roster. Even leadoff hitters.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 4 2005, 12:38 PM)
I have been waiting all year for this. Go Tribe!!! trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

I got Westbrook in one of my leagues. I hope that hand has healed, or I'm in trouble. laugh.gif

WOOHOO! Richie Sexson is starting out hot, showing (initially anyway) that he earns the contract he just signed with the Mariners. Through four innings, he's belted two homers and batted in 5 runs. Glad I have him on my fantasy team too.

So far Jamie Moyer is still showing himself to be 'ageless,' having pitched 4 and 2/3 innings and giving up only one run so far, that one unearned. What a difference an off-season makes, for him and for the team.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Apr 4 2005, 10:39 PM)
WOOHOO! Richie Sexson is starting out hot, showing (initially anyway) that he earns the contract he just signed with the Mariners. Through four innings, he's belted two homers and batted in 5 runs. Glad I have him on my fantasy team too.

So far Jamie Moyer is still showing himself to be 'ageless,' having pitched 4 and 2/3 innings and giving up only one run so far, that one unearned. What a difference an off-season makes, for him and for the team.

I was just listening to the Ms game and thinking, I wish I had Sexon on my fantasy team.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Apr 4 2005, 03:39 PM)

653.gif Mariners 653.gif

You and Chasy with your Mariners! smile.gif

D-13, you will absolutely love going. I've been to a few MLB games now (Cardinals at Busch Stadium), even before I really enjoyed baseball, and its fun. I hope to go with Chasy one day soon! smile.gif

QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Apr 5 2005, 12:25 PM)
You and Chasy with your Mariners! smile.gif

D-13, you will absolutely love going. I've been to a few MLB games now (Cardinals at Busch Stadium), even before I really enjoyed baseball, and its fun. I hope to go with Chasy one day soon! smile.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Chasartymac/Newhair1.jpg

Well babe. Here's me today in the top you got me. biggrin.gif

Saw a few things of note this morning. Victor Martinez signed with the Tribe through 2009, with a club option for 2010. I didn't see any money figures reported for that. Also, the Cubs signed Aramis Ramirez for 4 years at a little over 10 mill a season. Not quite Beltre dollars, but pretty good nonetheless. Also, a bunch of minor leaguers flunked a test for performance enhancing drugs. There were a lot of Cub farmhands on that list.

QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Apr 5 2005, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Apr 5 2005, 12:25 PM)
You and Chasy with your Mariners!  smile.gif

D-13, you will absolutely love going.  I've been to a few MLB games now (Cardinals at Busch Stadium), even before I really enjoyed baseball, and its fun.  I hope to go with Chasy one day soon!  smile.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Chasartymac/Newhair1.jpg

Well babe. Here's me today in the top you got me. biggrin.gif

Again..........

http://fool.exler.ru/sm/obm.gif

Seeing that handsomeness just never gets old. heart.gif

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Apr 5 2005, 11:12 PM)
Just back from the Giants game. It was good. Giants 4, Dodgers 2.

The only game I have ever seen live was the Giants v the Reds at Candlestick Park when I was a lad. It was that that got me into baseball in the first place. smile.gif

Archived