Turbo Firefox!

tmicom

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 5 2005, 07:10 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Apr 5 2005, 07:07 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 5 2005, 07:04 PM)
I haven't used Outlook Express for some time now (hated it), and was considering Thunderbird as a replacement. Any comments about it would be appreciated.

I hate Outlook/OE too. But what are the alternatives? confused13.gif

I tried just logging into webmail, but that just got to be a pain in the arse.

Isn't Thunderbird an alternative to Outlook? I haven't looked into it too deeply, so I'm pretty clueless here.

Yeah, I should have worded that better. Thunderbird is an alternative. I tried it, but didn't really like it. I couldn't seem to get it to do what I needed it to do. Could be a case of ignorant operator.

I suppose I should have been more clear. What I meant to say was other than Thunderbird and the MicroMafia products, what else is there?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Apr 5 2005, 07:52 PM)
I haven't used Outlook Express for some time now (hated it), and was considering Thunderbird as a replacement. Any comments about it would be appreciated.

Isn't Thunderbird an alternative to Outlook? I haven't looked into it too deeply, so I'm pretty clueless here.

Yeah, I should have worded that better. Thunderbird is an alternative. I tried it, but didn't really like it. I couldn't seem to get it to do what I needed it to do. Could be a case of ignorant operator.

I suppose I should have been more clear. What I meant to say was other than Thunderbird and the MicroMafia products, what else is there?

When was the last time you tried it? I notice that Mozilla is constantly updating it, just like Firefox.

QUOTE (Indica @ Mar 30 2005, 11:05 PM)
Does firefox have an auto refresh? If so I will download it. I need auto refresh for an online game I play..... I used to use Opera browser but this sounds better.

Yes ... you have to download the extension.

Click Here

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 5 2005, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Apr 5 2005, 07:52 PM)

When was the last time you tried it? I notice that Mozilla is constantly updating it, just like Firefox.

Last time I tried it was about 5 months ago when I started using FF. Maybe I should give it another try.

I've obviously got to tweak my Webemail extention. I can't get it to open anything but google email when I go to tools/Compose New message. When I do 'check email', it does go to Yahoo mail.

Must be a setting somewhere that I've not got sorted.

All of a sudden Firefox has been getting errors and not responding then it sends an error report to them. I seen netscape do this before. I'm not sure what the deal is. sad.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Apr 6 2005, 07:04 PM)
All of a sudden Firefox has been getting errors and not responding then it sends an error report to them. I seen netscape do this before. I'm not sure what the deal is. sad.gif

Really? In the 5 months I've been using FF, I've only had one problem and that was easily fixed. I don't know if you visit the FF forum, but you can find an answer to your problem, I'd be willing to bet:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

QUOTE (Indica @ Apr 6 2005, 07:04 PM)

Make sure you have the latest version of FF. You should have Firefox/1.0.2

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 6 2005, 12:10 AM)

OK. I tried out Thunderbird but it was not as good as OE. So, I reverted. When those who code, code well, Thunderbird will be good. It's coming, but not quite up to it yet.

I think the alternative that most people talk about as a mail client is Opera. But I don't know Opera so I can't say if it's any good or not.

In the meantime,

Long Live Firefox!!

http://img57.exs.cx/img57/8852/203010149541a36196c008f0cy.png

QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Apr 28 2005, 04:42 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 6 2005, 12:10 AM)

OK. I tried out Thunderbird but it was not as good as OE. So, I reverted. When those who code, code well, Thunderbird will be good. It's coming, but not quite up to it yet.

I think the alternative that most people talk about as a mail client is Opera. But I don't know Opera so I can't say if it's any good or not.

In the meantime,

Long Live Firefox!!

http://img57.exs.cx/img57/8852/203010149541a36196c008f0cy.png

Screw Opera! I just downloaded it to use the mail client and found out some interesting things.

1) The mail client cannot be downloaded separately. You must download the browser as well.

2) The free version of the browser allows ads to display. You have to pay if you want the browser that doesn't allow ads.

IE sucks and Opera seems to suck as well.

Long live Firefox!!! It's FREE and it blocks ads automatically.

Hey, if any of you FF users aren't using Forecast Fox, you should. This extension rocks and they just made it even better. It displays the current weather along with the future forecast and now, it puts a little button on the Forecast bar and when you glide your mouse over it Doppler radar instantly pops up. It is cool!

QUOTE (dweezil @ May 28 2005, 02:43 PM)
Is this a freebie?

My Mac is sick and when I get the new hard drive, I should try it?

Safari bites. yes.gif

Yup. Firefox and all of the extensions are free. Go here Firefox to get the browser and for the Mac, click on "other systems and languages". The extensions can be found via the link on the main page.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ May 28 2005, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ May 28 2005, 02:43 PM)
Is this a freebie?

My Mac is sick and when I get the new hard drive, I should try it?

Safari bites. yes.gif

Yup. Firefox and all of the extensions are free. Go here Firefox to get the browser and for the Mac, click on "other systems and languages". The extensions can be found via the link on the main page.

Muchos Gracias!

QUOTE (rickyrob @ May 28 2005, 02:53 PM)
I use firefox now. I find surfing a lot smoother and quicker.

1022.gif another convert 653.gif have you performed the "tweak" at the top of this thread Ricky? It does speed things up some.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ May 28 2005, 07:58 PM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ May 28 2005, 02:53 PM)
I use firefox now. I find surfing a lot smoother and quicker.

1022.gif another convert 653.gif have you performed the "tweak" at the top of this thread Ricky? It does speed things up some.

Just done it snowdog cheers new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif

Hmmmmm. I will have to give this a try.

Right now I am running a wireless network and I get a very crappy signal because my room is in the basement and the router upstairs. I am waiting for my signal booster that I ordered through Amazon (through the TRF store, as always!) and I should be good to go.

Archived