The burger thread!

Jack Aubrey

I finally got to grill cheeseburgers Sunday night and they were delicious! drool1.gif When I'm grilling them, I start with an ordinary meat patty and periodically dump a little Worcestershire sauce on them as I'm grilling them (and when that sauce hits the flame it is pungent! They could use that stuff for crowd control!) However, I'm looking for something a little different, maybe some good spices to mix with the meat or whatever. I'm asking if any of you backyard chefs out there would mind sharing your burger recipes. Please?

Thanks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Season salt and season pepper. I put it on just about anything I grill.

Also use Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. That stuff rocks.

Here is an easy one. Marinade salmon fillets in this:

Lawry's Hawaiian marinade

Then grill for no more than 10 minutes on a medium grill. Make sure you spray the grill with Pam so the fish doesn't stick. My wife won't order salmon in a restaurant any more because she is usually let down because it doesn't taste as good as mine.

And Jack, if I can grill all year long in snowy Chicago, you certainly can too! Don't let the cool weather keep you from manning the grill! 1287.gif

Here's one I have used for years, sorry I don't have amounts but it's done by feel:

BBQ sauce (whichever one you prefer)

Garlic Powder

Season Salt (Lawrey's)

Pepper

Dried Minced onions

Parsley, not too much

Mix it thoroughly with the meat and then make your patties. They taste better if you make a few hours before you grill them so teh marinate a little.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 8 2010, 08:20 AM)

Then grill for no more than 10 minutes on a medium grill. Make sure you spray the grill with Pam so the fish doesn't stick. My wife won't order salmon in a restaurant any more because she is usually let down because it doesn't taste as good as mine.

And Jack, if I can grill all year long in snowy Chicago, you certainly can too! Don't let the cool weather keep you from manning the grill! 1287.gif

Yeah, I have grilled when it's cold out but it's not as much fun as when it's warm for some reason.

Thanks for the recipes! I will try them.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Apr 8 2010, 08:40 AM)
Here's one I have used for years, sorry I don't have amounts but it's done by feel:

BBQ sauce (whichever one you prefer)
Garlic Powder
Season Salt (Lawrey's)
Pepper
Dried Minced onions
Parsley, not too much

Mix it thoroughly with the meat and then make your patties. They taste better if you make a few hours before you grill them so teh marinate a little.

That sounds incredible! Thank you!

big fan of sweet baby rays here. brushed it on heavily with some barbequed pork chops the other night. i recommend pairing it up with some grilled asparagus.

as far as the burgers go, it's like meatloaf on the barbeque. anything goes and it's hard to mess up. i usually mix in some worstershire sauce, onion and garlic powder, fresh parsley, and if you have fresh italian sausage, work in a few of the sausage meat after removing the casing.

top with cheddar cheese and grilled onions.

You guys know how Worcestershire sauce got it's name, right? Some old man in Georgia went to a restaurant and when he sat down at the table he saw the bottle, grabbed it, and asked the waitesss: "wut's dish here sauce?" laugh.gif

Add a tablespoon of Guinness to each patty.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 8 2010, 10:07 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 8 2010, 09:26 AM)
You guys know how Worcestershire sauce got it's name, right? Some old man in Georgia went to a restaurant and when he sat down at the table he saw the bottle, grabbed it, and asked the waitesss: "wut's dish here sauce?"  laugh.gif

rimshot.gif

rofl3.gif

By the way, I just want it known that my joke is not meant to be an insult to Georgia or anyone from there. I love Georgia. My Father in law lives there so my wife and I go there frequently and we even own property in Georgia. Plus, I stole the joke from my Father in law and that's how he tells it.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 8 2010, 11:14 AM)
You guys know how Worcestershire sauce got it's name, right? Some old man in Georgia went to a restaurant and when he sat down at the table he saw the bottle, grabbed it, and asked the waitesss: "wut's dish here sauce?"  laugh.gif

rimshot.gif

rofl3.gif

By the way, I just want it known that my joke is not meant to be an insult to Georgia or anyone from there. I love Georgia. My Father in law lives there so my wife and I go there frequently and we even own property in Georgia. Plus, I stole the joke from my Father in law and that's how he tells it.

Oh, I have a better one. . . and it's true. Grabbed breakfast one morning in a small country diner while on the road for work - cafeteria style. Guy nearby was complaining to an employee about the "doughnut that doesn't have no sugar in it". The "doughnut" in question was a bagel. facepalm.gif

Baby Ray's is tha shit!

Cut up some chunks of sirloin and mix it in with the ground beef..now that is good stuff!

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 8 2010, 10:19 AM)

rimshot.gif

rofl3.gif

Oh, I have a better one. . . and it's true. Grabbed breakfast one morning in a small country diner while on the road for work - cafeteria style. Guy nearby was complaining to an employee about the "doughnut that doesn't have no sugar in it". The "doughnut" in question was a bagel. facepalm.gif

awww geez!

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 8 2010, 10:19 AM)

rimshot.gif

rofl3.gif

Wow! laugh.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 8 2010, 10:20 AM)
PETA would not like this thread.

And we should care because . . . ? cool.gif

Grilling burgers is fun. If you use 70% lean beef you reach that point where the fire becomes self sustaining from the grease. I love it when that happens and you flip the burgers creating a fireball worthy of a Schwarzenegger/Stallone movie complete with the mushroom cloud. 1022.gif At that level of flame you have to be careful or you end up with burger jerky.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 8 2010, 11:29 AM)

The only reason a non-meat eater would come into this thread would be to preach to us about the evils of eating meat. Such individuals can stuff it.

I've eaten meat substitute patties and they are okay, I guess, if that's what you are really wanting. If what you want is a BURGER then they suck as an alternative and really need no consideration.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 8 2010, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 8 2010, 11:29 AM)

The only reason a non-meat eater would come into this thread would be to preach to us about the evils of eating meat. Such individuals can stuff it.

I've eaten meat substitute patties and they are okay, I guess, if that's what you are really wanting. If what you want is a BURGER then they suck as an alternative and really need no consideration.

gotta love the people who eat facon.

what's the point? fat is flavor.

i think i'll have a burger with melted soy cheese and a few slices of facon. sarcasm.gif

I love to grill things. The secret to great grilling is keeping the meat moist. With hamburgers you can mix the ground beef with something to keep it from drying out; wrapping them in bacon works pretty well. I've tried mixing the beef with BBQ sauce or even Italian dressing. If you do that, you also need to mix in some egg to keep the patties from falling apart.

Like ILSnowdog, I like to use season salt and fresh ground pepper on burgers. I also put on some worcestershire sauce to keep them from drying out.

I find that some meats are better for grilling than others. Chicken is too dry IMO, but if I'm grilling chicken, I use a marinade brush with teriyaki or something similar and I turn them often and keep them moist. A really great meat to grill is lamb because it has a lot of fat and it doesn't dry out. The best steaks to grill are ribeye for the same reason.

When I do baby backs, I slow cook them in the oven first then use the grill to sear the edges. That way they fall apart and are really tender.

Best advice is no matter what you are grilling, don't overcook the meat!

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Apr 8 2010, 11:05 AM)
I love to grill things. The secret to great grilling is keeping the meat moist. With hamburgers you can mix the ground beef with something to keep it from drying out; wrapping them in bacon works pretty well. I've tried mixing the beef with BBQ sauce or even Italian dressing. If you do that, you also need to mix in some egg to keep the patties from falling apart.

Like ILSnowdog, I like to use season salt and fresh ground pepper on burgers. I also put on some worcestershire sauce to keep them from drying out.

I find that some meats are better for grilling than others. Chicken is too dry IMO, but if I'm grilling chicken, I use a marinade brush with teriyaki or something similar and I turn them often and keep them moist. A really great meat to grill is lamb because it has a lot of fat and it doesn't dry out. The best steaks to grill are ribeye for the same reason.

When I do baby backs, I slow cook them in the oven first then use the grill to sear the edges. That way they fall apart and are really tender.

Best advice is no matter what you are grilling, don't overcook the meat!

yup keep the meat from drying out. sometimes if you cook the meat too long it dries out. give it a good sear on high heat to seal in the juices.

also, i find that you can't use too lean of a meat. i've been having good results with 85/15 chop meat and that's even too lean for some.

I saw a recipe last year for a burger made entirely from ground bacon. It got me thinking - why not do 2/3 beef and 1/3 ground bacon? Or half and half? I bet this would be a taste sensation and may have to give it a try.

Might be even better topped with more bacon.