How are humans ABLE to "read"?

GeddyRulz

I'm having a hard time finding some information I've been looking for, so maybe one of my TRF buddies can help...

A few years back, I briefly became aware of a new book by a scientist, the premise of which was: scientifically, human beings shouldn't be able to read! (And yet we do, of course.) Like bumblebees, which science says shouldn't be able to fly because of their physical shape, etc. but do, human beings - if I understand the premise of the scientist's findings correctly - shouldn't be able to look at printed symbols and extrapolate abstract ideas from them, or even imagine the playing-out of the action in a novel... and yet, of course, we do! It's our brain chemistry or the physical makeup of our brains or something, but the gist is just that: humans shouldn't be able to "read" and yet we do.

I hope I haven't written this in a way which confuses. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Do any of you know what the title of this scientist's book is, in which she explains these findings? I've tried Amazon and Google searches off and on over the past few years and can't re-locate this book or find information about its thesis.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 24 2010, 11:01 AM)
I'm having a hard time finding some information I've been looking for, so maybe one of my TRF buddies can help...

A few years back, I briefly became aware of a new book by a scientist, the premise of which was: scientifically, human beings shouldn't be able to read! (And yet we do, of course.) Like bumblebees, which science says shouldn't be able to fly because of their physical shape, etc. but do, human beings - if I understand the premise of the scientist's findings correctly - shouldn't be able to look at printed symbols and extrapolate abstract ideas from them, or even imagine the playing-out of the action in a novel... and yet, of course, we do! It's our brain chemistry or the physical makeup of our brains or something, but the gist is just that: humans shouldn't be able to "read" and yet we do.

I hope I haven't written this in a way which confuses. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Do any of you know what the title of this scientist's book is, in which she explains these findings? I've tried Amazon and Google searches off and on over the past few years and can't re-locate this book or find information about its thesis.

I would love to respond but I have no idea what all that stuff says written above this post. atickhum.gif

I'm glad there's others who find this premise interesting - that it's "scientifically impossible for humans to be able to read," and yet we do! I've also discussed this with a co-worker, and she too said, "If you can find the book, let me know!"

One thing, though:

Like bumblebees, which science says shouldn't be able to fly because of their physical shape, etc. but do...

I've done some research on this bumblebee thing since posting earlier this afternoon, and it turns out this is an urban myth. Scientists do NOT claim that it's aerodynamically impossible for bumblebees to fly, but people continue to spread this story. In fact, the Mary Kay organization has adopted the bumblebee as a symbolic mascot as a way of defiantly saying, "You can do what others say is impossible!"

But isn't pattern recognition practically hard-wired into our brains from birth? It seems this would trump the "we shouldn't be able to read" claim.

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 25 2010, 12:44 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 24 2010, 11:01 AM)

A few years back, I briefly became aware of a new book by a scientist, the premise of which was: scientifically, human beings shouldn't be able to read!  (And yet we do, of course.)  Like bumblebees, which science says shouldn't be able to fly because of their physical shape, etc. but do, human beings - if I understand the premise of the scientist's findings correctly - shouldn't be able to look at printed symbols and extrapolate abstract ideas from them, or even imagine the playing-out of the action in a novel... and yet, of course, we do!  It's our brain chemistry or the physical makeup of our brains or something, but the gist is just that: humans shouldn't be able to "read" and yet we do.

I hope I haven't written this in a way which confuses.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about?  Do any of you know what the title of this scientist's book is, in which she explains these findings?  I've tried Amazon and Google searches off and on over the past few years and can't re-locate this book or find information about its thesis.

I would love to respond but I have no idea what all that stuff says written above this post. atickhum.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 25 2010, 11:41 AM)
But isn't pattern recognition practically hard-wired into our brains from birth? It seems this would trump the "we shouldn't be able to read" claim.

That's exactly what I waa thinking