Rush's next producer

Earthshine

Rush could have anyone produce their next album. I would like it to be Nick again, but who knows if that will happen.

As we know, sometimes they like a breath of fresh air; a different point of view. I think he would work wonders with Rush.

I recommend Ken Scott. Not only is he a producer, but also an engineer.

Here is some footage of him and some footage of him with drummers!

With Billy Cobham:

With Rod Morgenstein:

With Terry Bozzio:

I have no idea why Rush have not worked with him in the past when they were trying out different producers.

Ken Scott is way too old school. The guy is a dinosaur. This band needs younger guys to give them a more modern sound, since the band themselves are old. They really dont need an ancient producer.

Id much rather see a guy like Brendan O'Brien. He works with bands like Incubus, really great at creating a traditional sound, but very full and modern. I cant imagine what a guy like this could do for Rush.

I think it's pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point that it's going to be Nick again.

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jan 31 2010, 12:18 PM)
So what was so special about Nick's production again? Was it the sloppy and obvious punch-ins in Far Cry? Or the overuse of Geddy backing vocals and harmonies throughout the album?

goodpost.gif I still do not understand the love for this guys work .

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jan 31 2010, 06:18 PM)
So what was so special about Nick's production again? Was it the sloppy and obvious punch-ins in Far Cry? Or the overuse of Geddy backing vocals and harmonies throughout the album?

I guess the proof of the pudding will be whether the guys who paid him liked it??

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 31 2010, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jan 31 2010, 12:18 PM)

goodpost.gif I still do not understand the love for this guys work .

The guy isnt really a great producer, but after VT, it was a significant improvement. But no he isnt really highly regarded in the industry at all. He doesnt work on too many big projects.

He's good at creating a good, safe sound. But I dont think he's nearly adventurous enough for a band like Rush, who really need to just try something new, get an exciting new sound going on.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 31 2010, 11:58 AM)
Ken Scott is way too old school. The guy is a dinosaur. This band needs younger guys to give them a more modern sound, since the band themselves are old. They really dont need an ancient producer.

I have never heard of Brendan O'Brien. I don't like Incubus either.

What is wrong with old school? Most of those albums sound great compared to the over-produced albums we so often hear today with pro-tools and the like.

So you would not want George Martin either I guess?

You don't think Ken is up on all the modern production techniques and more?

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 31 2010, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 31 2010, 11:58 AM)

Id much rather see a guy like Brendan O'Brien. He works with bands like Incubus, really great at creating a traditional sound, but very full and modern. I cant imagine what a guy like this could do for Rush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA_xjBaXor0

What is wrong with old school? Most of those albums sound great compared to the over-produced albums we so often hear today with pro-tools and the like.

So you would not want George Martin either I guess?

You don't think Ken is up on all the modern production techniques and more?

Hell no I dont want George Martin anywhere near Rush. The 60s are over man, there's a different sound going on now. Rush is an old band, why not bring young guys in to spice it up, help them find an exciting new sound.

Im not looking for Rush to sound like the Beatles, or anything from back then, its been done before, time to move on, explore new territory before they hang it up. Get adventurous.

I couldnt stand S&A. It sounded clean, but it has such a lame 60s vibe to it, I thought it was very boring and too safe.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 31 2010, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jan 31 2010, 12:10 PM)
Honestly I think they should just produce it themselves.

They tried that with VT and it was a disaster. That album sounds worse than some crappy garage bands ive heard in my life.

regardless of the production, i love the songs.

it will be remastered some day.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jan 31 2010, 02:09 PM)
rush's next producer for the few songs they release will be nick and we all know it.

Has it been officially announced yet? I love Nick's production and want him to do it, but Rush has been known to go through producers ya know.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 31 2010, 02:06 PM)
The 60s are over man, there's a different sound going on now. Rush is an old band, why not bring young guys in to spice it up, help them find an exciting new sound.

Im not looking for Rush to sound like the Beatles, or anything from back then, its been done before, time to move on, explore new territory before they hang it up. Get adventurous.

George has produced many more bands other than The Beatles. Have you heard The Mahavishnu Orchestra Apocalypse? What about UFO No Place To Run?

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 31 2010, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jan 31 2010, 02:09 PM)
rush's next producer for the few songs they release will be nick and we all know it.

Has it been officially announced yet? I love Nick's production and want him to do it, but Rush has been known to go through producers ya know.

it hasn't been announced yet but i think that's the way they are going to go. i believe nick has a busy schedule lined up, but rush is looking at releasing a few maybe a few more so i'm saying nick will be brought in for the few tunes they release.

My only concern with Nick is that he is such a Rush fan that they might not think he is objective enough (or that he was not enough in the past also) and they may think he is trying to bring back their past (epic songs, maybe even use old equipment such as the Moog synthesizers, etc.). I have nothing against it, but I am concerned that the band might.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 31 2010, 02:41 PM)
My only concern with Nick is that he is such a Rush fan that they might not think he is objective enough (or that he was not enough in the past also) and they may think he is trying to bring back their past (epic songs, maybe even use old equipment such as the Moog synthesizers, etc.). I have nothing against it, but I am concerned that the band might.

we all know they liked working with the guy and they had fun on the last album so that's why i was thinking nick. i'd love to see another producer just to mix it up a bit and maybe someone who's more obective than nick. someone who wouldn't hold back. i can see your point.

Archived