Was Caress of Steel "drug-fueled"?

shaun3701

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I seem to remember a quote from one of the guys that COS was somewhat of a "drug-fueled" album. It wouldn't be surprising, some of the songs do sound a bit trippy, especially the two longer epics. And if so, are we talking about just weed here? Or were the boys experimenting with the harder stuff?

why are you coming to these damning conclusions when its not official what state of mind they were in,

they were probaly in a good state of mind cause when I have a few drinks I cant even play an easy song on the skins

QUOTE (sanzo @ Dec 6 2009, 11:31 PM)
why are you coming to these damning conclusions when its not official what state of mind they were in,
they were probaly in a good state of mind cause when I have a few drinks I cant even play an easy song on the skins

No, trust me...they were probably off their tits most of the time yes.gif

"Drug-fueled" may be a little strongly worded. "Heavily influenced", oh yeah.

The image I have of "drug-fueled" is some cranked-up meth head who hasn't slept in nine days. Definitely not Rush.

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 6 2009, 10:01 PM)
The image I have of "drug-fueled" is some cranked-up meth head who hasn't slept in nine days. Definitely not Rush.

I was thinking more along the lines of hash or possibly LSD?

QUOTE (Blenderhead @ Dec 6 2009, 08:58 PM)
QUOTE (Alex @ Dec 6 2009, 09:21 PM)
I would say yes for most bands but the lyrics and songs are too smart to be completely drug fueled.

huh.gif

hmmmmm, thats what I was thinking......

It's fair to say that Rush collectively smoked weed for sure and most likely tripped on LSD occasionally (although I think Geddy and possible Alex stayed clear of LSD), but it was the 70s and seen as a tool in the music industry allowing for inspiration and freedom to write / produce great music, no different to a bodybuilder using steroids back in the 70s as at the time it was acceptable and seen as an aid. What Rush managed to do under the influence though is what other bands failed to, and that was to stay in control all the time and come up with some of the most amazing epic songs and remain focused on their goal.

Neil was clearly the more LSD inclined member in his youth having played in a band previously titled "LSD forever" and references in COS are evident such as 'draw another goblet from the cask of 43', also apparently at the end of cygnus X-1 the voyage you can hear an irrational, heavy paced heartbeat induced by LSD which is apparently Neils although I am not too sure about this.

But lets not get too fixed on this hangup otherwise we all end up believing that idiot on the net - egodeath

2.gif

Well we know they loved weed, just need to listen to a passage to bankok for that, and everyone did at that time anyway. As far as acid, they've only given hints to that here and there, we dont really know who was doing it or how often, only that a couple of them at least likely did during that time.

I would imagine they were done with that by the time permanent waves came out, when they really started maturing musically. Thats my guess.

That in studio interview they give right around the time of PeW, Alex is FRIED!...at one point Geddy gets right up in his face just to freak him out. I think the boys still like to indulge on occasion, casually.
  • Like 1

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 7 2009, 12:01 PM)
By the way, I wonder what a drug-fueled album in 2010 would sound like... yes.gif

laugh.gif

I'm sure it will be drug-fueled. . .

Lipitor, Geritol For Him, blood pressure meds. . . tongue.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 7 2009, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 7 2009, 12:01 PM)
By the way, I wonder what a drug-fueled album in 2010 would sound like... yes.gif

laugh.gif

I'm sure it will be drug-fueled. . .

Lipitor, Geritol For Him, blood pressure meds. . . tongue.gif

I heard Geddy was taking aspirin almost daily during some of their synth albums in the 80's. yes.gif