Horrible non-call ousts Ireland from world cup

alphseeker

Reminds me of Maradona's "Hand of God" goal in the 86 world cup that subsequently knocked England out! Still haven't forgiven him.

And yeah, Ireland were robbed, and the officials didn't even notice or bother to confer on the so-called goal either.

Saw a good quote today by Patrick Kielty

"Henry has more hands than a German phone book"

Decisions go against teams all the time. You either end up with dozens of officials like in gridiron or just get on with it. To ask for a re-match is laughable.

No rematch, but an instant replay would be nice. Ireland would have challenged and off we go into overtime. In a game like this, to let it go on is a crime. I can imagine what the Irish are doing. A week of mourning would be in order, I believe. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Nov 19 2009, 01:29 PM)
Reminds me of Maradona's "Hand of God" goal in the 86 world cup that subsequently knocked England out! Still haven't forgiven him.

And yeah, Ireland were robbed, and the officials didn't even notice or bother to confer on the so-called goal either.

The most notorious of handballs. I think the idea of replay for this violation might be a good one. How would it be regulated? One challenge per match?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Nov 19 2009, 09:01 PM)

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Maradona's hand wasn't as obvious when it first happened. The ref might not have seen it. Henry was playing basketball out there.

A rematch would be impossible as it would send a complicated and unworkable precendent.

To be honest I didn't watch the game, only brief highlights. I'd be very interested to see where the officials were in relation to where Henry handled the ball. Did they have clear vision of him or not? And if they did why didn't they stop play?

This poor decision will be an expensive one for Ireland, not just in terms of playing in the WC, but also the additional revenue generated, especially from TV rights.

Bad!

As a country, we're sick. As parrots. But, FIFA are thrilled, they rigged the seeding for the play-offs so the big boys wouldn't have to meet, and now this. If it was Ireland that scored, FIFA would bee encouraging Ireland to do "the right thing". But seeing as it's France, total silence from the bastards.

Cheese eating surrender monkeys.

The linesman on goal side right had a perfect view of the incident. Also, surely the trajectory of the ball should have been picked up by the ref, the ball is dropping goping wide, wait a minute, it's still in play, how dat happen?????? W*nkers!!!!!!

In fairness to the Swedes, they're gutted, ashamed that the Swedish refereeing team made such a monumental balls-up.

But, these things level out. I dearly hope the French team are equally distraught next summer in South Africa.

Archived