Why haven't they...

GrandDesigner

Does anyone have any insights as to how Rush decides what songs to play on tour, and which ones will just fade into obscurity? I always wonder about certain bands (Megadeth and Rush in particular) that seem to play the same basic set everytime they tour and willfully leave out extensive sections of their back catalog. One great thing about bands like Dream Theater, U2, and Porcupine Tree is their willingness to play just about any song in their catalog live.

Just curious as to why songs like Presto, Available Light, Emotion Detector, Chain Lightning, Open Secrets, etc etc etc have never seen a setlist

Not sure why they play some songs instead of others and with so many great tunes to chose from some are going to get neglected.

Like them or not, nobody takes better care of their fans from a setlist perspective than Dream Theater IMO.

The adherence to the same setlist night after night is pretty much Rush's biggest weakness and it has been for years.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Oct 24 2009, 10:14 AM)
QUOTE (oldphilly @ Oct 24 2009, 10:00 AM)
I hear that next tour they are going to open with I think I'm Going Bald followed by Rivendel with Madrigal as a closer.

A little too heavy on the hits, no?

Yeah, I'm sick of hearing Madrigal every damned show! Don't get me started on Rivendell!

Because Neil hates us all.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Oct 24 2009, 08:38 AM)
Does anyone have any insights as to how Rush decides what songs to play on tour, and which ones will just fade into obscurity? I always wonder about certain bands (Megadeth and Rush in particular) that seem to play the same basic set everytime they tour and willfully leave out extensive sections of their back catalog. One great thing about bands like Dream Theater, U2, and Porcupine Tree is their willingness to play just about any song in their catalog live.

Just curious as to why songs like Presto, Available Light, Emotion Detector, Chain Lightning, Open Secrets, etc etc etc have never seen a setlist

They've talked about this many times, specifically Geddy. If they're going to have to play a song 60+ times, they need to ENJOY playing it. They dont love all of their own songs the way we do, in fact I remember them saying pre-VT tour that they never listen to their own music, only when picking songs for a tour.

I even remember Geddy being asked about playing the camera eye live and again he said they only play stuff they really like playing, they dont like that song anymore. This is why they pretty much never play anything off of CoS, I remember Geddy saying they dont like that album at all, that is hasnt aged well or something like that.

They know that some of "the fans" only know the hits and I know Ged has said even though they are tired of Tom Sawyer they play it anyway because it's a fan favorite.

Also, if they don't think a song plays well live they won't touch it. A lot of their music requires Ged to do a lot and I know Neil and Al trigger some things but it still might be too much to get the song played the way they want it to.

How many of their songs do they have to play in a lower key because of Ged's voice and it may not sound the way they want it to.

I think their perfectionism can sometimes be a hindrance in trying a different set list.

They always manage to throw in some gems though. Circumstances, Entre Nous, Witch Hunt, and A Passage to Bangkok come to mind from the Snakes and Arrows tour. Prior to that, when was the last time those were played? You have to keep in mind that every show is going to have at least a few people going to their first Rush show. They are most likely going to want to hear some of their more well known songs. So basically they have to mix what they wanna play, what the casual fan wants to hear, and what the diehard wants to hear. Honestly though, whatever they play is fine with me. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Echoes @ Oct 24 2009, 10:00 PM)
They always manage to throw in some gems though. Circumstances, Entre Nous, Witch Hunt, and A Passage to Bangkok come to mind from the Snakes and Arrows tour.

Don't forget about "Ghost of a Chance". It sounded excellent, too.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Oct 24 2009, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (Echoes @ Oct 24 2009, 10:00 PM)
They always manage to throw in some gems though. Circumstances, Entre Nous, Witch Hunt, and A Passage to Bangkok come to mind from the Snakes and Arrows tour.

Don't forget about "Ghost of a Chance". It sounded excellent, too.

*facepalm* One of my favs. How could I forget about that? ph34r.gif

I think there are many reasons. Some of the songs just don't seem like "live" songs to the band and others take certain effects or sounds they could have but can't replicate exactly. But I think the main reason is that there is only so much time and they have so many songs.

Be patient though. There are lots of songs they never did live for a while that they later would such as Witch Hunt and Entre Nous.

Archived