What do you think of 'Excalibur'?

Jack Aubrey

As I said in another thread, Excalibur was the second R-rated movie I saw in the theater (the first was Omen 3) so it's always had a special place in my heart. I think it's a wonderful adaptation of the Arthurian legend and it's a crime that Nicol Williamson didn't win the best supporting Oscar for his performance as Merlin, which I think was absolutely perfect. It's also disappointing that Nigel Terry, who played Arthur and Cherie Lungh, who played Guinevere didn't get more roles. Helen Mirren, who played Morgana went on to become a terrific actress who landed lots of great roles. I also had a big crush on her as I was 17 when I saw the movie so she had quite the effect on me. Also, did you know that Excalibur was Gabriel Byrne's first movie? He played Uther Pendragon.

All in all, it's a fantastic movie so if you haven't seen it, then do so by all means!

'Excalibur' trailer!

Nerd note: Excalibur gets it's name from the Latin ex calis libre which means "to liberate from the stone".

yes.gif

A very under-rated film, often dismissed as being rather churlish and silly. But I think its a great film: good story, great acting especially from Nicol Williamson's Merlin.

it's a very dark film (sometimes quite literally); and neither is it a very happy film either - there's blood & guts galore, nudity, a unpleasant rape scene and all sorts of misery & death going on from start to finish.

But I guess director Boorman wanted to keep it as authentic as possible, even if it is based on fantasy. The cinematography, costume design and music are all perfect, and certainly add an extra a flavour to the experience.

Must dig this one out again: its been awhile

I think it was my 2nd R-rated movie as well (John Carpenter's "The Fog" was the first). I finally found this on DVD a few years back and watched it for the first time in 20 something years and it held up surprisingly well.

Big fan here! yes.gif

They tried making a TV series with a similar theme and with the same actors. It bombed. sad.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 23 2009, 03:49 PM)
Big fan here! yes.gif

They tried making a TV series with a similar theme and with the same actors. It bombed. sad.gif

Yeah, it was called Covington Cross. I liked it! It was light and fun and they didn't take it too seriously and the eps were full of humor. Too bad it only lasted one season. Here's the IMDB page: Covington Cross.

it was also one of Liam Neeson's first movies -

The setting/ armor / landscape / language / script was truly authentic - the transformation of young Arthur to an older, baned king was simply acting at it's best -

"Look upon this moment, rejoice with Great gladness, for it is the doom of men that they should forget" - Merlin

I have often thought that in the hereafter of our lives, when I owe no more to the future and can be just a man, that we may meet, and you will come to me and claim me as yours, and know that I am your husband. It is a dream I have... - Arthur

Classic lines -

Truly a great movie and it has always been in my library - I called in sick the first day it opened -

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Sep 23 2009, 04:53 PM)
it was also one of Liam Neeson's first movies -

The setting/ armor / landscape / language / script was truly authentic - the transformation of young Arthur to an older, baned king was simply acting at it's best -

"Look upon this moment, rejoice with Great gladness, for it is the doom of men that they should forget" - Merlin

I have often thought that in the hereafter of our lives, when I owe no more to the future and can be just a man, that we may meet, and you will come to me and claim me as yours, and know that I am your husband. It is a dream I have... - Arthur

Classic lines -

Truly a great movie and it has always been in my library - I called in sick the first day it opened -

it was also one of Liam Neeson's first movies
That's right! I meant to mention that but I forgot. Thank you! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 23 2009, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 23 2009, 03:49 PM)
Big fan here!  yes.gif

They tried making a TV series with a similar theme and with the same actors. It bombed.  sad.gif

Yeah, it was called Covington Cross. I liked it! It was light and fun and they didn't take it too seriously and the eps were full of humor. Too bad it only lasted one season. Here's the IMDB page: Covington Cross.

I couldn't for the life of me remember that. Thanks! trink39.gif

Now I need to see if I can find it on DVD.

I have owned it for years. I have a few different versions surrounding the story of Arthur and Merlin but this has to be one of my favourites. I especially love that Williamson made Merlin as a complete smart ass and was soooo good laugh.gif

QUOTE (Lady April @ Sep 23 2009, 08:28 PM)
I have owned it for years. I have a few different versions surrounding the story of Arthur and Merlin but this has to be one of my favourites. I especially love that Williamson made Merlin as a complete smart ass and was soooo good laugh.gif

LOVE that movie!!!!!

Have you folks watched the DVD with Boorman's commentary? It turns out that the girl who played Ygraine (with whom Uther had that rather memorable encounter and Fathered Arthur) is Boorman's daughter! It might be just me, but I would think that a Father who films his daughter fully nude and being raped is downright creepy. Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 25 2009, 12:47 PM)
Have you folks watched the DVD with Boorman's commentary? It turns out that the girl who played Ygraine (with whom Uther had that rather memorable encounter and Fathered Arthur) is Boorman's daughter! It might be just me, but I would think that a Father who films his daughter fully nude and being raped is downright creepy.

Yes, I recall reading about that. Caused quite a fuss in the tabloids over here in the UK at the time.

It kind of took the shine off the film and Boorman himself once I'd learnt about that. bolt.gif

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Sep 25 2009, 02:37 AM)
I've been watching this movie for more than 20 years. It gets regular rotation in the VHS. Yes, I still have it on tape! Time to upgrade...

Neglected to mention that mine is a VHS as well - shame on me!!!! laugh.gif

Thought it was well done, remember they would advertise Excalibur using some critics quote calling it the Star Wars of Sword and Sorcery. Didn't grasp the relation of that. fing.gif

It did set off a trend of lesser more mediocre cheesier Sci Fi time setting movies.

Dragon Slayer which if i remember wasn't bad, but others that followed just lame.