THE BEER THREAD

daveyt

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jan 24 2006, 02:43 PM)
Weltenburger - Dunkel

Oldest beer monastery in existence 1050 AD
The dunkel on draft is the darkest, smoothest strongest i've ever had - You have to have it on draft though, because the bottle does it no justice -

http://www.weltenburger.de/index.htm

trink38.gif

http://www.homebrewshop.com/labels/salvator.gif

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NoDeity

My favourite breweries are the Nelson Brewing Company and the Tree Brewing Co..

From the first, I'm very fond of Paddywhack I.P.A. and Blackheart Oatmeal Stout.

The Paddywhack has noticable-but-not-overwhelming hops and, at 6.5%, it sure packs more of a punch than a run-of-the mill beer.

Blackheart is a pretty good stout. It's dark enough that if I hold a glass of it up to a light, I can't see through it. It has a nice, rich taste but it doesn't feel so heavy in the mouth the way Guiness Extra Stout does and, at 5.7%, it's pleasantly stronger than the Guiness. I enjoy two or three but if I drink more than that of this one, I have a headache the next day.

From the second, I'm partial to Hophead India Pale Ale and Cutthroat Pale Ale.

Like hops? Then you've got to try Tree's Hophead. From the piney aroma to the grapefruit-like bitterness, Hophead packs a flavour punch that demands your attention. Currently, it's my favourite beer. At 5.8%, it's quite sessionable.

Cutthroat (5.0%) is a very fine pale ale with noticable hops. The hops aren't nearly so obvious as they are in Hophead but they're still hard to miss. If you find a very hoppy beer like Hophead a bit much to handle but you still like more bitterness than you'll find in most of the macro-beers, Cutthroat may be up your alley.

---

Warning: bad experience rant.

From time to time, I like to go to a local dance. They never have any really good beers. The most flavourful is usually Labatt Pilsner. At the last dance I attended, one of the bartenders recommended Miller Genuine Draft -- MGD to those in the know, apparently. So, I tried one. What an utter waste! Where's the flavour? The commercials talk about how much it's filtered. Well, they've filtered out all the flavour! MGD is beer for people who don't like beer. If you like beer, stay away from it. angry.gif

Edited by NoDeity

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 15 2005, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 15 2005, 10:21 PM)
It doesn't seem Guinness is a particularly popular beer among us. That's surprizing since it's considered the first choice for people who "understand" beer. And if you don't drink Guinness, you're somehow inferior, a wimp even. What's the deal then? Is it nothing more than a matter of personal preference?

[Edited for spelling.]

There seems to be a natural progression with serious beer drinkers here in the U.S. You start out with Bud and co., and once it dawns on you how really shitty it tastes, you move on to Heineken, Beck's, Molson, Amstel, etc. Soon you notice how overrated those beers are, and start drinking Sam Adams, Bass and Guinness. Now, you can stop there and be considered a "good" beer drinker, but the brave ones take the next big step to the American micro brews like Sierra Nevada, Stone, Victory, Rogue, and imports like Samuel Smith and Fuller's.

Guinness Stout is merely a stepping stone to better beer (or a reliable standby if nothing better is available). My brother was a big Guinness drinker until I gave him a bottle of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. He can still drink a Guinness, but he doesn't sing its praises anymore.

Amen, brother, truer words were never spoken.

I would add to what you said only that the taste progession must be a gradual one (for most people anyway, obviously there might be exceptions). Try to introduce a Budweiser drinker to a really good beer and he will say "what the f**k is this strange tasting shit?" He must go through the various stages, and can't be expected to jump from shitty to awesome all at once.

You know, I was reading over some of the older threads in this forum (like this one) earlier today, which of course included older comments of mine in those same threads, and I was struck by how much my beer experience has expanded in the past year. By leaps and bounds and light years.

Though I find it hard to believe now, in a way, only a year ago I considered top of the line beers to be things like Newcastle or Corona. I was at that last stage you mention before finally being ready to jump full force into the wonderful world of Microbrews. Oh, how ignorant I was, in retrospect.

And I largely have this subforum to thank for the development as inspiration. Reading about the various beers here opened me up to a wonderful new world to explore.

And for that I am most thankful.

If someone asked me which part of the Rush forum has had the most profound influence on my life, they might be surprised at my answer. It is NOT the political forum, where the vast majority of my posts have been, but rather the Macallan.

I know this might sound sappy to some, but true beer lovers will understand. And that is what matters on this subject.

trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

Edited by Drunk Pirate Robert

Guest NoDeity
Has anyone here tried La Fin Du Monde from the Unibroue brewery in Quebec? I haven't tracked it down yet but I've heard some rather good things about it.

QUOTE (NoDeity @ Jun 28 2006, 01:20 AM)
Has anyone here tried La Fin Du Monde from the Unibroue brewery in Quebec? I haven't tracked it down yet but I've heard some rather good things about it.

I've tried Unibroue's Maudite ale. A very strong tasting, bottle-fermented belgian-style ale. It got great reviews across the board. I hated it. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (NoDeity @ Jun 28 2006, 12:20 AM)
Has anyone here tried La Fin Du Monde from the Unibroue brewery in Quebec?  I haven't tracked it down yet but I've heard some rather good things about it.

Yes, I have tried it.

Its very similar to Victory Golden Monkey, both in taste and potency.

Definitely worth trying, if you can find it.

Edited by Drunk Pirate Robert

QUOTE (Drunk Pirate Robert @ Jun 27 2006, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 15 2005, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 15 2005, 10:21 PM)
It doesn't seem Guinness is a particularly popular beer among us. That's surprizing since it's considered the first choice for people who "understand" beer. And if you don't drink Guinness, you're somehow inferior, a wimp even. What's the deal then? Is it nothing more than a matter of personal preference?

[Edited for spelling.]

There seems to be a natural progression with serious beer drinkers here in the U.S. You start out with Bud and co., and once it dawns on you how really shitty it tastes, you move on to Heineken, Beck's, Molson, Amstel, etc. Soon you notice how overrated those beers are, and start drinking Sam Adams, Bass and Guinness. Now, you can stop there and be considered a "good" beer drinker, but the brave ones take the next big step to the American micro brews like Sierra Nevada, Stone, Victory, Rogue, and imports like Samuel Smith and Fuller's.

Guinness Stout is merely a stepping stone to better beer (or a reliable standby if nothing better is available). My brother was a big Guinness drinker until I gave him a bottle of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. He can still drink a Guinness, but he doesn't sing its praises anymore.

Amen, brother, truer words were never spoken.

I would add to what you said only that the taste progession must be a gradual one (for most people anyway, obviously there might be exceptions). Try to introduce a Budweiser drinker to a really good beer and he will say "what the f**k is this strange tasting shit?" He must go through the various stages, and can't be expected to jump from shitty to awesome all at once.

You know, I was reading over some of the older threads in this forum (like this one) earlier today, which of course included older comments of mine in those same threads, and I was struck by how much my beer experience has expanded in the past year. By leaps and bounds and light years.

Though I find it hard to believe now, in a way, only a year ago I considered top of the line beers to be things like Newcastle or Corona. I was at that last stage you mention before finally being ready to jump full force into the wonderful world of Microbrews. Oh, how ignorant I was, in retrospect.

And I largely have this subforum to thank for the development as inspiration. Reading about the various beers here opened me up to a wonderful new world to explore.

And for that I am most thankful.

If someone asked me which part of the Rush forum has had the most profound influence on my life, they might be surprised at my answer. It is NOT the political forum, where the vast majority of my posts have been, but rather the Macallan.

I know this might sound sappy to some, but true beer lovers will understand. And that is what matters on this subject.

trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

Guinness has to be one of the worst stouts I have ever had. I have tried Murphy's, Young's Oatmael, Samuel Smith's, Obsidian Stout from Deschutes and several from local brew pubs in the Dallas area like Two Rows or Humperdinks and all of them were more flavorful to me.

I won't pass on a Guinness if it's all that's available or one is offered to me but I don't go out of my way craving to have one. I think it's like drinking tar. I'll never understand why it is considered in some ways "the king of stouts". I think it's the name thing and people who work up to it have not tried others as some have eluded to so they feel it's the one to have.

trink38.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (Hemisteve @ Jun 28 2006, 04:16 PM)
Guinness has to be one of the worst stouts I have ever had. I have tried Murphy's, Young's Oatmael, Samuel Smith's, Obsidian Stout from Deschutes and several from local brew pubs in the Dallas area like Two Rows or Humperdinks and all of them were more flavorful to me.

I won't pass on a Guinness if it's all that's available or one is offered to me but I don't go out of my way craving to have one. I think it's like drinking tar. I'll never understand why it is considered in some ways "the king of stouts". I think it's the name thing and people who work up to it have not tried others as some have eluded to so they feel it's the one to have. 

trink38.gif  trink38.gif

Agreed on all points.

Guinness is the "king of stouts" because it's the world's best selling stout. Doesn't mean it's the best (far from it). Much like Budweiser is the "King of Beers."

Guest NoDeity
I've only encountered two stouts. Guinness, of course, and "Blackheart Oatmeal Stout" from the Nelson Brewing Company. Of the two, I much prefer the latter. Blackheart has a nice, rich flavour and colour (hold a glass of it up to a light bulb and no light gets through the centre of the glass) but it doesn't feel as heavy in the mouth as Guiness does.

QUOTE (daveyt @ Jun 28 2006, 10:13 PM)
MY NEW FAVORITE:

http://www.stonebrew.com/timeline/2004/og2004/oldgard2004webinterface.jpg

trink38.gif

I gotta check this shit out! It seems like a good after dinner beer.

I swear that Guinness tastes different over in Ireland. Before I went over there for a visit, I could not stand Guinness. Then, when I realized that we were going to be vacationing in the land of Guinness, I 'taught' myself to enjoy it somewhat ahead of time. When we arrived in Ireland, I pretty much drank Guinness the entire time I was there.....morning, noon, and night. And I grew to truly LOVE it.

Then I came back to Canada.......and it was lousy! Well, not LOUSY, but not as good as I remembered. There really is an art to storing/pouring Guinness properly. I can totally understand why many people swear by it as the best stout (i.e., they are accustomed to a properly drawn pint), while people in the America's are underwhelmed. It's got to be done properly.....right down to the proper storage temperature, CO2/NO2 balance in the tap, double pour, etc. unsure.gif

It was an education nonetheless! trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Jun 29 2006, 08:38 PM)
I swear that Guinness tastes different over in Ireland. . . .

Then I came back to Canada.......and it was lousy! Well, not LOUSY, but not as good as I remembered.

Beer can taste differently from one week to another, even from the same damned six pack.

There is so much subjectivity that goes into taste at a given moment in time, that it is virtually impossible to overemphasize this truth.

It can depend upon emotional mood, expectation, what one had to eat earlier, what one has been drinking before, physical state, etc.

QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Jun 29 2006, 09:38 PM)
I swear that Guinness tastes different over in Ireland. Before I went over there for a visit, I could not stand Guinness. Then, when I realized that we were going to be vacationing in the land of Guinness, I 'taught' myself to enjoy it somewhat ahead of time. When we arrived in Ireland, I pretty much drank Guinness the entire time I was there.....morning, noon, and night. And I grew to truly LOVE it.

Then I came back to Canada.......and it was lousy! Well, not LOUSY, but not as good as I remembered. There really is an art to storing/pouring Guinness properly. I can totally understand why many people swear by it as the best stout (i.e., they are accustomed to a properly drawn pint), while people in the America's are underwhelmed. It's got to be done properly.....right down to the proper storage temperature, CO2/NO2 balance in the tap, double pour, etc. unsure.gif

It was an education nonetheless! trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

it's the water. apparently the guinness plants in north america treat their water a certain way to get it similar to the water in ireland, but it's still not perfect, hence the taste difference

it's the same reason that pizza outside the northeast tastes like crap joker.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ Jun 30 2006, 03:00 AM)
QUOTE (Bastille Night @ Jun 29 2006, 08:38 PM)
It was an education nonetheless!

yo i got ur education with MURPHY'S n***** yes.gif

Even though you spelled it the gangsta way, that's still a racial slur as far as this board is concerned.