FYI: Alex Lifeson Gibson ES355 on ebay

jdouglas

Does the tree come with it?

I think the TRF should purchase it and raffle it off to one of it's loyal members.

cool.gif

They are just swimming in Amazon.com sponsorship $$$.

Where is 1001001, aka Deep Pockets?

ph34r.gif trink39.gif no.gif yes.gif no.gif

Edited by jdouglas

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jul 18 2009, 09:43 PM)
I think the TRF should purchase it and raffle it off to one of it's loyal members.

cool.gif

They are just swimming in Amazon.com sponsorship $$$.

Where is 1001001, aka Deep Pockets?

ph34r.gif  trink39.gif  no.gif  yes.gif  no.gif

"Deep pockets"? How the hell did I earn THAT completely inaccurate nickname? laugh.gif

And just for the record, that Amazon commission deal doesn't earn a whole lot for this site. Not even close.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jul 18 2009, 11:36 PM)
How many times do I have to click the banner for the BIN?

Do we need some of those drinking birds?

http://offtheback.co.nz/uploads/drinking_bird.jpg

What? BIN? What is this?

QUOTE (southernjim @ Jul 19 2009, 02:02 PM)

What? BIN? What is this?

Buy

It

Now

4K is just silly....You can probably get a Howard Roberts Fusion and ES-335 for that price...especially if can live with used and are somewhat useful with your hands..

Oh well, I'd still would like to try one...on the Gibson forum they say the trem has some issues with tuning. Buy it an slap a Kahler in like Alex did....ha.. wacko.gif comp26.gif wacko.gif

I'm watching that one too. I've been watching the auctions everytime one of these come up for sale. They've been selling at $4000 and will probably go up from there.

I really want one but I resigned myself to the fact that I cannot spend over $4K on a guitar.

So next year I'm shipping my Epi Sheraton off to someone to have some major work done to it. It's close to an AL355 now but it will be taken the rest of the way. The fingerboard will be replaced with ebony and block MOP inlays, the headstock will be reshaped, bound, and inlaid to match the AL355, the guitar will have the old stop tailpiece holes filled and the body and neck refinished in Polaris White nitro, and a few other small things will be changed

When it's done it will be a perfect replica. I don't plan on ever selling it.

Here's a current pic:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/pete2112/My%20Guitars/DSCN2498.jpg

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Jul 20 2009, 10:54 AM)
So next year I'm shipping my Epi Sheraton off to someone to have some major work done to it. It's close to an AL355 now but it will be taken the rest of the way.

Just the headstock changes really, and it looks like he has more of a chickhead knob for that wierd tone thingy (I'm not sure that's 100% true, I just felt like saying chickenhead really...)

This is one of fav vids on youtube...

Edited by jdouglas

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jul 20 2009, 04:13 PM)
So next year I'm shipping my Epi Sheraton off to someone to have some major work done to it. It's close to an AL355 now but it will be taken the rest of the way.

Just the headstock changes really, and it looks like he has more of a chickhead knob for that wierd tone thingy (I'm not sure that's 100% true, I just felt like saying chickenhead really...)

In that vid the Gibson does sound better (brighter and punchier), but he did say the Epi still has the stock pickups. Stock Epi pickups don't compare to stock Gibsons. Put some Gibby pups in there and I'll bet that closes the gap a lot.

QUOTE (Prince Sphinc-Tor @ Jul 19 2009, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (southernjim @ Jul 19 2009, 02:02 PM)

What? BIN? What is this?

Buy

It

Now

Thank you, sir

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 20 2009, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jul 20 2009, 04:13 PM)

In that vid the Gibson does sound better (brighter and punchier), but he did say the Epi still has the stock pickups. Stock Epi pickups don't compare to stock Gibsons. Put some Gibby pups in there and I'll bet that closes the gap a lot.

I agree with your comments but also add that there are two very different bridges being used. The Gibson has the trapeze bridge while the dot has the hard tail, and that's going to make a difference. Sure the pups make a very big difference, more than the bridge for sure, but the bridge is definite factor here. I don't think it's a fair comparison because of the difference in bridges. Many of us have used a dot or a Sheraton to get that early lifeson tone but found something missing....maybe it's the bridge. I know that with my dot, there is a "jangle" element missing, even with the right amps and chorus.

Edited by rushfanNlv

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Jul 20 2009, 11:54 AM)
I'm watching that one too. I've been watching the auctions everytime one of these come up for sale. They've been selling at $4000 and will probably go up from there.
I really want one but I resigned myself to the fact that I cannot spend over $4K on a guitar.
So next year I'm shipping my Epi Sheraton off to someone to have some major work done to it. It's close to an AL355 now but it will be taken the rest of the way. The fingerboard will be replaced with ebony and block MOP inlays, the headstock will be reshaped, bound, and inlaid to match the AL355, the guitar will have the old stop tailpiece holes filled and the body and neck refinished in Polaris White nitro, and a few other small things will be changed
When it's done it will be a perfect replica. I don't plan on ever selling it.
Here's a current pic:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/pete2112/My%20Guitars/DSCN2498.jpg

I love the inlays on a Shraton, and the "vine" headstock of Epi's...don't change it. I think your guitar is actually nice than the Lerxst model.