The Official Camel thread

The Owl

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to discuss them but they never did connect with me. I have heard many (old time) Rush fans are also fans of Camel.

Seriously, I know nothing about them, obviously.

I just looked them up on the Internet and they appear to have been around a really long time, longer than Rush. They have also endured a helluva lot of permutations....12 if I counted correctly.

They're prog, but geez, that label is so broad to me. Is there a song that the average listener might know by them, and if one wanted to learn more, what one album would be the recommended one to start with?

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 6 2009, 02:26 PM)

I just looked them up on the Internet and they appear to have been around a really long time, longer than Rush. They have also endured a helluva lot of permutations....12 if I counted correctly.

They're prog, but geez, that label is so broad to me. Is there a song that the average listener might know by them, and if one wanted to learn more, what one album would be the recommended one to start with?

No. All the good prog bands are bands that no one has heard of, and have sold approximately 20 records.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 6 2009, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 6 2009, 02:26 PM)

I just looked them up on the Internet and they appear to have been around a really long time, longer than Rush.  They have also endured a helluva lot of permutations....12 if I counted correctly.

They're prog, but geez, that label is so broad to me.  Is there a song that the average listener might know by them, and if one wanted to learn more, what one album would be the recommended one to start with?

No. All the good prog bands are bands that no one has heard of, and have sold approximately 20 records.

tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Yes indeed, there are some odd Prog bands. I tend to like the more popular of those, like Rush, ELP, Yes, Genesis, Kansas, and the list goes on.

Camel never really did have a hit. The Snow Goose is probably their most popular Album. The guitarist Andy Latimer is well respected.

Moonmadness or Mirage are good starting points.

I only have a handful of albums... but I love them all..

Limey is a great authority on Camel... ask him.

Camel were bloody marvellous. They made beautiful music.

Nude, Snow Goose, Breathless, Mirage & Rain Dances are essential.

The last few albums are ace too, Harbour of Tears, Dust & Dreams, Rajaz & A Nod And A Wink.

Seriously great band, should have been massive.

Oh, and A Live Record is a savage live album.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 6 2009, 11:17 AM)
I just got the delux edition of "The Snow Goose"

EPIC

I love that album, what's different about the deluxe edition?

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 6 2009, 12:01 PM)

what about Moon Madness? Just might be their best album.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 6 2009, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jul 6 2009, 02:45 PM)
Camel rules. Favorite song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKK7jzwxbhw

653.gif

WOW........that sounds VERY good!!!!! applaudit.gif

I knew nothing of this band until I listened to that and other songs on Youtube. That f***ing rocks. Blew my mind 1022.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 6 2009, 06:11 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 6 2009, 11:17 AM)
I just got the delux edition of "The Snow Goose"

EPIC

I love that album, what's different about the deluxe edition?

A few radio edits, and a live version of the album.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 7 2009, 12:13 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 6 2009, 12:01 PM)

what about Moon Madness? Just might be their best album.

Shitballs! Totally blanked on Moonmadness. My bad. I recently got a mint vinyl first pressing of it. Class album.

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jul 6 2009, 09:40 PM)
Ice is some of the most passionate guitar playing I've ever heard and an incredible emotionally driven song. That album is so under-rated.

It is.

Ice has to be one of the greatest guitar tracks, just not in prog music, but in all of music ever. And if you've never heard it before, or think it can't be true, listen to Ice, and discover how amazing it is.

Nude, i feel is also a very good album.

Lies and City life are two of the big highlights for me off that album. It is a concept album, if i remember right having something to do with a solider.... of some asian desent (i'm pretty sure it's asian, i apologize if i am wrong.)

Edit: as part of the cover my ass program, from wikipedia:

Nude is a concept album released by Camel in 1981. The concept of the album is based on a true story of a Japanese soldier (Hiroo Onoda) marooned on an island in World War II who doesn't know that the war is over. "Nude" derives from his family name "Onoda". The lyrics on the album are mainly written by Susan Hoover, except "Please Come Home", which has lyrics written by Andrew Latimer. It was the last album to feature original drummer Andy Ward.
Edited by *Limelight*