The Official Camel thread

The Owl

Also, let's take a minute to talk about the amazing keyboards of

Peter Bardens.

He did everything up to Breathless. (He was replaced by 2 keyboardists for the next album, I can see your house from here.)

He was an amazing keyboardist i have to say, i really love his work.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 6 2009, 11:32 AM)
Moonmadness or Mirage are good starting points.

I only have a handful of albums... but I love them all..

Limey is a great authority on Camel... ask him.

I just saw this, and ya i got every solo camel album downloaded and fully listened to. cool.gif smile.gif

Amazing band, they are truly my 2nd favorite band behind Rush.

Now then, to discuss my favorite camel song, i'll take a whole giant post. (Not overly much detail will go into each album, if you want my full view you can ask or PM me)

And i'll go album by album, then saying my favorite song.

Camel (Self Titled): Prog as prog should be Peter on keyboards does an amazing job. Latimer's vocals are outstanding. Doug on bass does a great job, and finally Andy's drums sound great.

Favorite song off Camel: Seperation. I love the start of the song, and the drums. Again the keyboards come through great and i love the song.

Mirage: Amazing album, though there may only be 5 tracks on it (not including the bonus tracks. Though you got the 16 minute epic Lady fantasy on this album. I really enjoy it, and another great prog listen.

Favorite song off Mirage: Depends on the day really, lol, all the songs are amazing for different reasons, so it's hard to nail just one track down as better then any of the others.

Music Inspired by The Snow Goose: Between this and Moonmadness maybe the best work Camel ever did. Amazingly the whole album is instrumental, and that only makes it better as a whole. No song i feel on this album is lacking without lyrics. Truly maybe Camel's best work.

Favorite song off Music Inspired by The Snow Goose: Rhayadar Goes to Town. The opening to this song is fantastic, though it may slow down a bit later, i don't think many can argue how good this track is.

Moonmadness: Really, just an outstanding album, from the 1st track to the last track. I can't find a fault with this album, i really love it, and nothing more needs to be said. Get it on vinyl, as it is an amazing treat to listen to it that way.

Favorite Track off Mooonmadness: Maybe the toughest choice of all, but Song within a Song. Just the emotion of everything on this song.. it's amazing, if you don't feel a little somehting from this track, i feel sorry for you, then you aren't really enjoying the song.

Rain Dances: A little more Jazzy of an album. I still think it's really good, and a must hear, it's still great Prog rock, but just some tracks have a good jazz feel to them.

Favorite track on Rain Dances: Highways of the Sun or One of these days i'll get an early night. Both great tracks for different reasons, and depending on the day, they switch as my favorites.

Breahtless: You might get more a of "pop feel" with some tracks on this album Wing and a Prayer may be a track like that for you. But still, it retains it's jazz and prog roots. Not the best camel album to start off with, i'll admit it.

Favorite track off Breathless: The Sleeper. Someone (no names mentioned) might give me hell for choosing this track, but when you listen to it, i think it may be the best track on the album, it goes for the older prog stuff, and some of the jazz, while going into that new popish direction that can be felt on the album.

I Can See Your House from Here: This album i feel is a little more back to the prog rock side, still having that lighter "pop" influence, that is still felt. But truly some amazing tracks on this album.

Favorite track off I Can See Your House from Here: I'll come right out with this, Ice is the best track on the album. Pure and simple, there is no arguement there the guitar work is just amazing. But my favorite song is Eye of the Storm, a VERY close second being Who we Are for the feel of that song too. I just love the sound of everything on this song, it makes me feel something (kind of like Song within a Song off Moonmadness) and i love it.

Nude: This album sometimes might get left a little behind, why i don't know. It's still a good album. Again, maybe not the best to start off with.

Favorite track on Nude: Lies. The bass line is great in this song, the guitar work tremendous, the drums and vocals are kept simple only adding to the bass and guitar work.

The Single Factor: Maybe a lesser mentioned album, but i still really like the album, tracks like Sasquatch give you a reminder of the prog roots Camel has, and was still showing even at this point in their career.

Favorite track off The Single Factor: By far End Peace. As with Eye of the storm and Song with a Song, this song has to make you feel something, it's just that type of track. Simply amazing guitar work, all that i can say.

Stationary Traveller: Another camel concept album. And don't right this one off as a "maybe listen to" Defintily listen to it, but later in your Camel collection, as it's more mainstream rock, and less prog, but like every camel album you can feel the prog in it.

Favorite track on Stationary Traveller: Stationary Traveller. Once again camel gets another good emotional song, like other's mentioned before (End Peace, Song within a Song, Eye of the Storm.) I feel this track perfectly gets the feel and concept of the album.

Dust and Dreams: Mixes short range tracks (the shortest coming in at 34 seconds.) and mid range tracks (6:52 is the longest.) Again, it may get kind of ignored, but give it a listen, you may really feel you like it.

Favorite track on Dust and Dreams: Mother Road, the prog elements like i said of Camel are always there in any album they do, once again this track has great guitar and i love it.

Harbour of Tears: Can you believe it? Another Concept album by Camel. Finally getting back a epic length track "The Hour Candle (A Song for My Father)" i like the feel they go for on this album, worth a listen again.

Favorite track on Harbour of Tears: Irish Air (Instrumental reprise), if you listen to just Irish air before (as it they come 1,2 on the album) it sets you up really well for another amazing track in Irish air (Instrumental Reprise) again like (Stationary Traveller, End Peace, Song within a Song, Eye of the Storm) this track may make you feel something, and embrace it, or else you don't get the full value of it.

Rajaz: Camel gets back down to prog. Sure, the lineup has changed alot, but the growth camel as a band (though the members had changed) is stil there, as it's a bit of a different Prog then what Moonmadness or The Snow Goose are.

Favorite Rajaz track: Lawrence. Listen to the guitar, once again like many of Camel's amazing songs. All that needs to be said.

A Nod and a Wink: The last studio release Camel put out. Again, maybe a bit more return to the earlier Prog, that can really be felt. I do enjoy this album, and i feel you should hear it.

Favorite A Nod and a Wink track: A Nod and A Wink. With this track, you can see Camel wanted to start trying to go back to their roots, all those many years ago. And it works fairly well.

My recomedations (for the prog side): Start with Moonmadness and The Snow Goose. Work your way backwards from there to the 1st album Camel. After those albums, skip Rain Dances and Breathless for now. Go to I can see Your House From Here, then Rajaz, and A Nod and A wink. Those are the biggest prog albums they have i feel if you just want PROG 1022.gif. From there, dive into Rain Dances, what you do from there is up to you, just when exploring these other albums, do be ready for a change in some of the music.

My recomendations (for everyone): Maybe work your way through the albums Chronoligcally. That's the best way, i think, to see how much the band changed and grew over the whole span. Don't just be picky and say "Dust and Dreams isn't hard Prog, so it sucks" Or something like that. Each album has something amazing about it, you just gotta find it.

Overall favorite album: Moonmadness. There's just so many great things about this album, it's hard not to say it's anything short of amazing. An arguement can be made for The Snow Goose, i know that The snow goose aswell has amazing tracks on it and the album is quite amazing, but Moonmadness get's pushed over The snow Goose for two main reasons: Song within A Song, and Chord Change.

Favorite Camel song: This is a very very hard one. Because of how many amazing tracks Camel has put out, how do you narrow it down to one? Well i did. And it's End Peace, say what you want about "HEY what about the more prog stuff Limey, like maybe Song within A song, how is that not your favorite track?" Simple answer. The overall emotion and feel of End Peace is one that i can't resist. I love the track to death. A close second and third are Eye of The Storm, as that is another great emotional track, and Song within A Song, just an amazing display of prog rock at one of it's best times.

Now with that said, do i feel End Peace is the BEST Camel song ever? No, i don't, maybe from an emotional stand point it might be. But overall i say it isn't. The best camel song, i can't say. As anything i say would change.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jul 8 2009, 05:01 AM)
Now then, to discuss my favorite camel song, i'll take a whole giant post. (Not overly much detail will go into each album, if you want my full view you can ask or PM me)

Camel (Self Titled): Prog as prog should be Peter on keyboards does an amazing job. Latimer's vocals are outstanding. Doug on bass does a great job, and finally Andy's drums sound great.
Favorite song off Camel: Seperation. I love the start of the song, and the drums. Again the keyboards come through great and i love the song.

Mirage: Amazing album, though there may only be 5 tracks on it (not including the bonus tracks. Though you got the 16 minute epic Lady fantasy on this album. I really enjoy it, and another great prog listen.
Favorite song off Mirage: Depends on the day really, lol, all the songs are amazing for different reasons, so it's hard to nail just one track down as better then any of the others.

Music Inspired by The Snow Goose: Between this and Moonmadness maybe the best work Camel ever did. Amazingly the whole album is instrumental, and that only makes it better as a whole. No song i feel on this album is lacking without lyrics. Truly maybe Camel's best work.
Favorite song off Music Inspired by The Snow Goose: Rhayadar Goes to Town. The opening to this song is fantastic, though it may slow down a bit later, i don't think many can argue how good this track is.

Moonmadness: Really, just an outstanding album, from the 1st track to the last track. I can't find a fault with this album, i really love it, and nothing more needs to be said. Get it on vinyl, as it is an amazing treat to listen to it that way.
Favorite Track off Mooonmadness: Maybe the toughest choice of all, but Song within a Song. Just the emotion of everything on this song.. it's amazing, if you don't feel a little somehting from this track, i feel sorry for you, then you aren't really enjoying the song.

Rain Dances: A little more Jazzy of an album. I still think it's really good, and a must hear, it's still great Prog rock, but just some tracks have a good jazz feel to them.
Favorite track on Rain Dances: Highways of the Sun or One of these days i'll get an early night. Both great tracks for different reasons, and depending on the day, they switch as my favorites.

Breahtless: You might get more a of "pop feel" with some tracks on this album Wing and a Prayer may be a track like that for you. But still, it retains it's jazz and prog roots. Not the best camel album to start off with, i'll admit it.
Favorite track off Breathless: The Sleeper. Someone (no names mentioned) might give me hell for choosing this track, but when you listen to it, i think it may be the best track on the album, it goes for the older prog stuff, and some of the jazz, while going into that new popish direction that can be felt on the album.

I Can See Your House from Here: This album i feel is a little more back to the prog rock side, still having that lighter "pop" influence, that is still felt. But truly some amazing tracks on this album.
Favorite track off I Can See Your House from Here: I'll come right out with this, Ice is the best track on the album. Pure and simple, there is no arguement there the guitar work is just amazing. But my favorite song is Eye of the Storm, a VERY close second being Who we Are for the feel of that song too. I just love the sound of everything on this song, it makes me feel something (kind of like Song within a Song off Moonmadness) and i love it.

Nude: This album sometimes might get left a little behind, why i don't know. It's still a good album. Again, maybe not the best to start off with.
Favorite track on Nude: Lies. The bass line is great in this song, the guitar work tremendous, the drums and vocals are kept simple only adding to the bass and guitar work.

The Single Factor: Maybe a lesser mentioned album, but i still really like the album, tracks like Sasquatch give you a reminder of the prog roots Camel has, and was still showing even at this point in their career.
Favorite track off The Single Factor: By far End Peace. As with Eye of the storm and Song with a Song, this song has to make you feel something, it's just that type of track. Simply amazing guitar work, all that i can say.

Stationary Traveller: Another camel concept album. And don't right this one off as a "maybe listen to" Defintily listen to it, but later in your Camel collection, as it's more mainstream rock, and less prog, but like every camel album you can feel the prog in it.
Favorite track on Stationary Traveller: Stationary Traveller. Once again camel gets another good emotional song, like other's mentioned before (End Peace, Song within a Song, Eye of the Storm.) I feel this track perfectly gets the feel and concept of the album.

Dust and Dreams: Mixes short range tracks (the shortest coming in at 34 seconds.) and mid range tracks (6:52 is the longest.) Again, it may get kind of ignored, but give it a listen, you may really feel you like it.
Favorite track on Dust and Dreams: Mother Road, the prog elements like i said of Camel are always there in any album they do, once again this track has great guitar and i love it.

Harbour of Tears: Can you believe it? Another Concept album by Camel. Finally getting back a epic length track "The Hour Candle (A Song for My Father)" i like the feel they go for on this album, worth a listen again.
Favorite track on Harbour of Tears: Irish Air (Instrumental reprise), if you listen to just Irish air before (as it they come 1,2 on the album) it sets you up really well for another amazing track in Irish air (Instrumental Reprise) again like (Stationary Traveller, End Peace, Song within a Song, Eye of the Storm) this track may make you feel something, and embrace it, or else you don't get the full value of it.

Rajaz: Camel gets back down to prog. Sure, the lineup has changed alot, but the growth camel as a band (though the members had changed) is stil there, as it's a bit of a different Prog then what Moonmadness or The Snow Goose are.
Favorite Rajaz track: Lawrence. Listen to the guitar, once again like many of Camel's amazing songs. All that needs to be said.

A Nod and a Wink: The last studio release Camel put out. Again, maybe a bit more return to the earlier Prog, that can really be felt. I do enjoy this album, and i feel you should hear it.
Favorite A Nod and a Wink track: A Nod and A Wink. With this track, you can see Camel wanted to start trying to go back to their roots, all those many years ago. And it works fairly well.

My recomedations (for the prog side): Start with Moonmadness and The Snow Goose. Work your way backwards from there to the 1st album Camel. After those albums, skip Rain Dances and Breathless for now. Go to I can see Your House From Here, then Rajaz, and A Nod and A wink. Those are the biggest prog albums they have i feel if you just want PROG 1022.gif. From there, dive into Rain Dances, what you do from there is up to you, just when exploring these other albums, do be ready for a change in some of the music.

My recomendations (for everyone): Maybe work your way through the albums Chronoligcally. That's the best way, i think, to see how much the band changed and grew over the whole span. Don't just be picky and say "Dust and Dreams isn't hard Prog, so it sucks" Or something like that. Each album has something amazing about it, you just gotta find it.

Overall favorite album: Moonmadness. There's just so many great things about this album, it's hard not to say it's anything short of amazing. An arguement can be made for The Snow Goose, i know that The snow goose aswell has amazing tracks on it and the album is quite amazing, but Moonmadness get's pushed over The snow Goose for two main reasons: Song within A Song, and Chord Change.

Favorite Camel song: This is a very very hard one. Because of how many amazing tracks Camel has put out, how do you narrow it down to one? Well i did. And it's End Peace, say what you want about "HEY what about the more prog stuff Limey, like maybe Song within A song, how is that not your favorite track?" Simple answer. The overall emotion and feel of End Peace is one that i can't resist. I love the track to death. A close second and third are Eye of The Storm, as that is another great emotional track, and Song within A Song, just an amazing display of prog rock at one of it's best times.
Now with that said, do i feel End Peace is the BEST Camel song ever? No, i don't, maybe from an emotional stand point it might be. But overall i say it isn't. The best camel song, i can't say. As anything i say would change.

Well done Limey, good writing!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 8 2009, 05:55 AM)

Favorite track on Harbour of Tears: Irish Air (Instrumental reprise), if you listen to just Irish air before (as it they come  1,2 on the album) it sets you up really well for another amazing  track in Irish air (Instrumental Reprise) again like (Stationary Traveller, End Peace, Song within a Song, Eye of the Storm) this track may make you feel something, and embrace it, or else you don't get the full value of it.

Thanks.

It's not my best work as i kind of rushed it, and haven't listened to alot of Camel recently. In the future i'll probably do a song by song (album by album too) Evaluation on how i feel.

Again, feel free to ask any questions or pm me about camel's music. I like to think of myself as a fairly huge Camel fan.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jul 8 2009, 07:48 PM)

Favorite track on Harbour of Tears: Irish Air (Instrumental reprise), if you listen to just Irish air before (as it they come  1,2 on the album) it sets you up really well for another amazing  track in Irish air (Instrumental Reprise) again like (Stationary Traveller, End Peace, Song within a Song, Eye of the Storm) this track may make you feel something, and embrace it, or else you don't get the full value of it.

Thanks.

It's not my best work as i kind of rushed it, and haven't listened to alot of Camel recently. In the future i'll probably do a song by song (album by album too) Evaluation on how i feel.

Again, feel free to ask any questions or pm me about camel's music. I like to think of myself as a fairly huge Camel fan.

Be sure to post those reviews in here!

QUOTE (Alex @ Jul 8 2009, 06:21 PM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jul 8 2009, 07:48 PM)

Thanks.

Be sure to post those reviews in here!

Of course i will.

I look forward to all of your reactions.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 6 2009, 11:16 AM)
discuss this Under-Rated and Over-Ignored Prog band..

Hey Owl!

You know I have fun making fun of the overrated and un-ignored Dream Theater but man you and I see "EYE TO EYE" on this thread. Wait that's a Fate's Warning song.

Camel is in my TOP TEN BANDS OF ALL TIME LIST.

Andrew Latimer moved to the Bay Area years ago. He lived in Mountain View.

Anyway there was a record store in Sunnyvale CA called THE CD WAREHOUSE.

Andew would drop in there all the time. The CAMEL section was fully stocked in the prog section of the store.

Andrew actually did a killer acoustic set inside that record store. I was there!!! I met him too. A very nice guy and of course in my mind he is one of the greatest guitar players on the planet and you damn right I told him so.

The poor soul became very sick and had to relocate back to the UK to get serious medical treatment.

So far so good I think.

I can only hope that he can bounce back and do one more tour.

I am so pissed off. CAMEL played in Santa Cruz before Andrew moved and I missed the show!!

I was on vacation!!!

As you can tell I am still bumming over that one.

Your timing is perfect though.

DECCA just released two double cd releases of "MOONMADNESS" and "THE SNOW GOOSE"

Yep the regular remaster with bonus tracks AND now a cool bonus disc of LIVE AT THE BBC.

It's amazing!!!

I would always support the CAMEL WEBSITE and buy directly from Andrew and the dude signed everything. Cds and dvds!!

He is a gentleman and a genius. I'm very fortunate to have met the man and I wish him nothing but the best on his recovery to a healthy life.

All you Camel Rookies need to pick up the first four records.

Get the early live official bootlegs too.

This band is AMAZING!!

Sincerely,

"LUNAR SEA"

That's me!! laugh.gif

"Stationary Traveller" is very good but nothing can touch the first four.

Actually I do enjoy "NUDE."

Eye of the Storm= an amazing song wub.gif

Just had to say that.

So is End Peace. wub.gif

If you compare the two, i happen to like End Peace more. The opening guitar on End Peace, and all the sounds backing it are just so amazingly beautiful. Latimer really does a number on the guitar with this song.

Compare that to Eye Of The Storm. It just has this feel to it, again great guitar by Latimer.

While both are instrumental tracks, look at the difference in time they come out. I can See Your House From here was released in 1979. This album is there follow up to Breathless, where Camel started having more "radio freindly songs" aka: Wing and A Prayer. And came right before Nude, an amazing concept album. I can see your house is Camel getting back down to their more Prog roots, but with that jazz and new sound flare at the time.

The Single Factor (1982) is released right after Nude. The Single Factor just seems to have a certain sound about it through out the album (maybe except for Manic), but then closes with End Peace just this beautiful song. TSF is followed up by Stationary Traveller, yet another concept album. I find TSF too once again be caught in the middle of Camel finding themselves of who they really are as musicians thanks to constant line up changes.

There isn't much a time gap between these two songs (only being two albums or 3 years apart) but Camel was at different stages between these albums. While i believe that Eye of The Storm, is more of what camel stood for as a prog band (in comparison to End Peace,) End Peace just shows how masterful Latimer can be on the guitar.

Edited by *Limelight*

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 15 2009, 01:17 PM)
I listened to Snow Goose the other day... Very good album... The live version on the special edition is very good as well.

The Snow Goose is an amazing album wub.gif

I have to say that for a new Camel fan, this would be the 2nd album to check out (your not though Owl, i know that) Moonmadness is the 1st album a new Camel fan should check out. From the opening song Aristillus, to the last track Lunar Sea, i can't see a fault with it. Add in Song within a Song and Chord Change are in my top 50 songs of all time. common001.gif But for sure Snow Goose is next wub.gif And yes, i love the live bonus tracks on the special edition of Snow Goose.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Aug 23 2009, 10:55 PM)
1. End Peace
2. Eye of The Storm
3. Song Within A Song
4. Chord Change
5. Irish Air (Instrumental Reprise)
6. Echoes
7. Stationary Traveler
8. Who We Are
9. City Life
10. Ice

My top 10 camel songs

1. End Peace

2. Eye of The Storm

3. Echoes

4. Song Within A Song

5. Chord Change

6. Irish Air (Instrumental Reprise)

7. Stationary Traveler

8. Who We Are

9. City Life

10. Ice

had to Fix the top ten list.

Why Echoes you might say at the #3 Spot? Well, just listen to the song. Everything is played wonderfully and Peter does an EXCEPTIONAL job on keyboards during this song.

I KNEW I WASN'T CRAZY!

If you listen to Eye of the Storm off of I Can See Your House from Here, don't you get the feeling of you've heard the song before? In some sort of a movie, or something very similar?

Well, after research: Happy The Man (prog rock band) did a cover of Eye of the Storm. It's not as good as the original (of course) but I KNEW i had heard something close to Eye of the Storm somewhere, and this might be it. Check it out for yourself if you can find it.

Camel are fantastic!

My favorite album changes from day to day, but currently it's Stationary Traveller. But I love Nude...and Mirage...and Moonmadness, Breathless, A Nod And A Wink, Snow Goose, Dust And Dreams, Rajaz, the self titled debut, to name a few.

The only two albums that I think are weak in their catalog are The Single Factor and Harbour Of Tears. Harbour especially, I don't like that album at all (I kind of like The Single Factor, weak as it is.)

I hope Andy Latimer (spelling?) gets better soon. Poor guy, I feel so bad for him. He's a musical genius, and I'd like to see him get back to making music again.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jan 19 2010, 08:28 AM)
Harbour Of Tears is another concept album.

Once you understand the album it's very good.

And The Single Factor, other then really End Peace, and Sasquatch, your right, there's not much there.

I absolutely love "Harbor Of Tears." Hell I love all Camel. Even the "pop" era is good.

Right now if I had to pick my TOP FIVE PROG BANDS it would be this:

RUSH

PORCUPINE TREE

MARILLION

GENESIS

CAMEL

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 19 2010, 08:46 PM)

And The Single Factor, other then really End Peace, and Sasquatch, your right, there's not much there.

I absolutely love "Harbor Of Tears." Hell I love all Camel. Even the "pop" era is good.

RUSH

PORCUPINE TREE

MARILLION

GENESIS

CAMEL

No Yes? Are you insane, Earl? laugh.gif

but srsly...

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jan 19 2010, 06:51 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 19 2010, 08:46 PM)

RUSH

PORCUPINE TREE

MARILLION

GENESIS

CAMEL

No Yes? Are you insane, Earl? laugh.gif

but srsly...

HAHAHA! BUSTED!!!! ohmy.gif

Sorry Tim!

RUSH

PORCUPINE TREE

MARILLION

GENESIS

CAMEL

YES

Oh, and so I make Limey happy eyesre4.gif tongue.gif , I'm interested in getting some Camel. Give me the best album to start with, and I'll add it to my album list.