Porcupine Tree

tripdad

When I went to the Chicago Rush show last June a gal told me about this band... British band been around over a few years, but never heard of them. Well I gave them a listen and found them pretty darn good. I now have 6 of their albums and really like them allot. This is the second band I was turned onto by another Rush fan - Dream Theater being the first. Barely heard of DT prior, but own all of their stuff now in less than a year of being a fan.

So I get an email today that Porcupine Tree is coming to House of Blues -Cleveland - got two tickets already knowing I didn't know anyone else who ever even heard of them - sent a text to a bud and told him he was going!

So what other non-mainstream bands are out there that us Rush fans can recommend to each other?

There are a ton of threads in the music of the spheres section about other bands that members are into. P.T. are fantastic. I saw them in Oct 07 at the House of Blues Orlando and it was a fun show.

This belongs in Music of the Spheres. But, there's already a half dozen PT threads there. Grab the most recent one and tell us a story. There's also a Prog Rock Suggestions thread not too far down the list.

I'm surprised that it took ya so long to discover PT. Porcupine Tree are about the biggest, modern Progressive Rock band out there, along with the two or three other big wheels on the playground.

Basically, it's Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Opeth and Spock's Beard on the top of the modern Prog Rock food chain. You also can add Muse and King's X, but they're only Prog-influenced bands. Much shorter song structures. More along the lines of Rush compositions.

If ya dig the PT, ya can also check out groups like Anekdoten. Diving into PT should lead you on a journey of discovery, my main man. Then ya find yerself wasting way too much time and money on your music addiction, like me. See ya at one of the 12 step meetings.

Thanks for the suggestions... and sorry I didn't post in right area - moderator please move.

You mentioned Opeth - I saw them open for DT last year and got hooked on them as well. I saw them again at HOB on their own last Fall. Another - WOW! A definite show every tour from here out.

edit

Again, I apologize - I really need to explore other areas of this forum! I now see what you you mean. My bad!

I got turned onto PT by this forum, and I'm glad I did. I really like what I have heard. Definitely check them out.

I've only heard/own In Absentia, but it's very good. I particularly like the moody "Heart Attack in a Lay-by" and the rocking lead-off track, "Blackest Eyes." Especially "Blackest Eyes"! 1022.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 17 2009, 07:24 PM)
Heard some stuff from them and have 1 album in my itunes and I think they're awful. Just cant get into them.

You're not trying hard enough. One more time from the top, this time with extra hutzpah, a nice side serving of moxey, and litle umph! That should do da trick.

I've only heard/own In Absentia, but it's very good. I particularly like the moody "Heart Attack in a Lay-by" and the rocking lead-off track, "Blackest Eyes." Especially "Blackest Eyes"!

That seems to be the one that put them on the map, in the U.S. at least. They had already earned themselves a decent following in England and Europe by then. 'IA' is when I jumped aboard the PT bandwagon. Though, you can hardly call it a bandwagon when most folks still do not know who the heck they are.

Somehow that 'Blackest Eyes' single garnered them some decent attention on the interweb and suddenly everyone wanted to know who the heck PT was. Every time I hear 'BE' I'm still ivery mpressed with how Steve Wilson merged Pop, Prog and Hard Rock on that song. I would think that B-Eyes would be equally appealing to Radiohead, Audioslave and Rush fans.

Though, I feel rather sorry for the shmucks who bought the album thinking that it was going to be 12 songs just like B-Eyes. I turned a friend onto this album, and he's mostly a Mainstream Rock fan. I was so sure that he was going to dismiss the rest of the material and tell me how dissapointed he was.

But, I underestimated the lil' SOB. He called me shortly after to tell me that he brought the album to his band's rehearsal and all of them fell in love with the recording. But, for some reason, he never followed through and picked up the other releases. He went back to his crappy Pop music, and The Prog World lost another convert. The Anderson Gods will be so angry (Ian and Jon).

I love Porcupine Tree, been a fan since 2001, and saw them live in 2005. I generally prefer the material from Signify through Deadwing, but I also really love the last album.

They're working on a tenth studio album right now, I can't wait to hear it. smile.gif

QUOTE (Paulio91184 @ Apr 18 2009, 04:01 AM)
If you like DT check out Symphony X....They Rule, IMO Michael Romeo owns John Pertucci on guitar and Russell Allen is the best singer in rock music

You got that right!

QUOTE (tripdad @ Apr 15 2009, 06:56 PM)
When I went to the Chicago Rush show last June a gal told me about this band... British band been around over a few years, but never heard of them. Well I gave them a listen and found them pretty darn good. I now have 6 of their albums and really like them allot. This is the second band I was turned onto by another Rush fan - Dream Theater being the first. Barely heard of DT prior, but own all of their stuff now in less than a year of being a fan.

So I get an email today that Porcupine Tree is coming to House of Blues -Cleveland - got two tickets already knowing I didn't know anyone else who ever even heard of them - sent a text to a bud and told him he was going!

So what other non-mainstream bands are out there that us Rush fans can recommend to each other?

British band? I thought they were Canadian. unsure.gif

I'm a fan.

Archived