Mastodon!!!!

RUSHMUSE

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 4 2009, 06:44 PM)
My drug-addled noggin has definitely endured quite the many sonic beatdowns in the past, and a number of the physical variety as well, but none never so bewildering as what Mastodon has delivered unto me. It's a blessing bestowed unto me by the Gods. The Gods who inhabit the belly of The Mastodon. And, I'm appreciative.

^^ I don't know, part of that post was 1022.gif

Saw them in Toronto last night at The Opera House...pretty intense concert!!

**SPOLIER BELOW**

They played 2 sets with a 45-second intermission! 'Crack the Skye' in its entirety, then 4 or 5 of their old tracks...including 'CRYSTAL SKULL', 'IRON TUSK', and 'MARCH OF THE FIRE ANTS'

wicked show!!

\m/. .\m/

The new Mastodon is the shizzy...no dizzy. But, what about some of you guys venturing out of the safety of yer musical comfort zones and lookin' into some of these other sweet treats that are at least in the same sub-genre?

Ya got the Bison B.C. disc, called 'Quiet Earth'. So frakkin' solid, ming. Slammin! Intronaut's Prehistoricisms. Sheet...This thing is just as raucous, sludgy and progressive as the last few Mastodons. Total sonic beatdown for yer tender ears. Baroness - Red Album, an album which is tailor-made for the Mastodon fan. Giant Squid - Metridium Fields. Mastodon if they adopted a female back-up singer, added some cello and keys and had mellow interludes in between the thunder. OH< SNAP, Negro! Someone here has had to have dug into Gojira by now?!?!?! C'mon now. That's the schitt right there, son. 'The Way Of All Flesh'. Five great new joints to add to the Mastodon collection. You Try...You No Disappointy...Promise. hehehe.

Yo, you check out these five albums and ya'll get back to me on the quality. That's how we know if someone's a fan of Progressive Sludge Metal or iffin' they just steppin' in line, followin' the Mob mentality of crowd on what's hot at the moment. And, that's realer than Real Deal Holyfield, son. Just tryin' to help, friends. Givin' ya'll stuff to listen to this Summer.

Edited by naturalsciences101

I haven't heard anything by these guys (that I know of, at least), but iTunes has their video for "Divinations" for free this week, and I'm downloading it now.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 6 2009, 10:15 PM)
The new Mastodon is the shizzy...no dizzy. But, what about some of you guys venturing out of the safety of yer musical comfort zones and lookin' into some of these other sweet treats that are at least in the same sub-genre?

Ya got the Bison B.C. disc, called 'Quiet Earth'. So frakkin' solid, ming. Slammin! Intronaut's Prehistoricisms. Sheet...This thing is just as raucous, sludgy and progressive as the last few Mastodons. Total sonic beatdown for yer tender ears. Baroness - Red Album, an album which is tailor-made for the Mastodon fan. Giant Squid - Metridium Fields. Mastodon if they adopted a female back-up singer, added some cello and keys and had mellow interludes in between the thunder. OH< SNAP, Negro! Someone here has had to have dug into Gojira by now?!?!?! C'mon now. That's the schitt right there, son. 'The Way Of All Flesh'. Five great new joints to add to the Mastodon collection. You Try...You No Disappointy...Promise. hehehe.

Yo, you check out these five albums and ya'll get back to me on the quality. That's how we know if someone's a fan of Progressive Sludge Metal or iffin' they just steppin' in line, followin' the Mob mentality of crowd on what's hot at the moment. And, that's realer than Real Deal Holyfield, son. Just tryin' to help, friends. Givin' ya'll stuff to listen to this Summer.

You know you're starting to wear very, very thin on this. Infact, you're starting to sound like the media telling people what to lisen to wink.gif

Check this out, my young friend. This is the idea I have in my head. On first glance, you might think it's rather dickish idea, but I'm willing to wager that if actually gave it some thought, that is, objective thought from outside-of-the-box, without all the blinders that society tends to place upon a person from birth, then you'd certainly agree with the sentiment...

And, the sentiment is this: People, in general, are tantamount to cattle or sheep. Humans, as a steadfast rule, tend to follow what it is that 'the majority' of the other cattle or sheep are doing, eating, wearing, thinking, etc. There's many reasons for this in sociological terms. There's different benefits that can be accrued from complaceny and a mindless adherence to long-established dogma. That's why this type of behaviour has remained a part of the species, and not gone extinct, no matter how displicable it may be seen as by some...When a band, as far outside of the mainstream as Mastodon, somehow explodes into mainstream culture, we have to figure out why.

I've already spent some time explaining 'the why'. Now, we need to determine 'the who'. And, that is easily unveiled by discovering who it is that are actual fans of the specific 'Genre' that Mastodon finds themselves a small, yet important, part of...OR, on the other hand, those that only picked up Mastodon to feel a part of something larger, and/or to let others see...witness that they have embraced such a thing. Rudimentary Sociology. Bandwagoning and Public displays of such wagoneering. lol. Truth.

If you find that you, yourself A.) Listen to mostly Pop/Mainstream music when you do actually listen to NEW music. B.) Not familiar with any of the above-mentioned recordings that I've listed. C.) Have sampled some of the above-mentioned lot, but, quickly determine that you aren't interested. D.) Searched websites and asked friends questions in the aim of discovering how popular these other bands might be. E.) Can admit to yourself that a band's popularity factors in greatly in your decision on whether or not you will embrace them...If any of these apply to you, then you know that you basically jumped on the Mastodon bandwagon when the moment seemed most opportune. You let in and subsequentloy embraced Mastodon when you saw that a good share of those that you know and are friends with have also done the same. Yet, even being conscious of the fact that a large share of our mainstream culture has done the same is enough to lead to the famous, Bandwagon Effect.

But, on the other hand, if you happen to be a true fan of the Genre, then you'd know that Mastodon are 'but one' of a small gaggle of groups which are currently being dubbed/tagged as Progressive Sludge Metal, or any of a host of other, similiar titles. You'd know that Mastodon are a part of this sub-genre, albeit, definitely being one of the better entries. You'd know that there really IS NOT ANY qualitative difference between the new Mastodon title and maybe a half dozen other quality recordings coming out of this small sub-genre, all of which have been listed for your convenience. You'd be confident that the popularity of this particular recording, or any of the others, has absolutely NO bearing at all on whether you will fancy and embrace the given release, or support the band in the future.

Well, that's the idea that I had in my head, friend. And, I think, most confidently, that the evidence handed to us by humanity on a whole is enough to make this all make sense...and to be taken as reality. At least, it should. It pains me that all these other great bands have been releasing product that is on par with what Mastodon has done, yet they've received only a small share of the business and admiration. And, the reason for this seems as plain as day to me. Does this all make sense to you? If you think Mastodon is an unbelievably good band, and have not yet checked out any of the other titles I've listed for you, then you have to ask yourself - why.

Unfortunately, yes, the ideas in your head are coming across in a very dickish manner, making you sound like one of those champions of the small-time bands and genres who deteste a band 'making it' into overall popularity. But I'll let that slide.

Without this 'Bandwagon Effect', humanity probably wouldn't have survived. Imagine the cavemen across the plain who scoffed at those who did the fire trick. What if every other tribe had wanted to be against the mainstream hadn't jumped on the fire bandwagon?

Thing is, you suggesting all of these other bands (who are very good) is exactly the same as say, my friends recommending me Blood Mountain which is how I got into Mastodon. Without this, a ton of music would never, ever be heard. This would be disastorous to music itself. Bands need a bandwagon effect, and they need the media to be covering them.

In addition, the percentage of people who listen to music just for the cool factor is very, very small. To continue listening to a band you have to like them. It seems like you're suggesting that myself and the other youngsters around here can't actually Mastodon's music for what it is, because we're so occupied by trying to look cool and doing what the media tells us. Remember, the media advises you, but never makes the final decision.

Personally, I did like the other recommendations. My only problem is I believe there is so much wonderful music out there that limiting yourself to one sub-genre is, well, limiting. Alot of the stuff you recommended sounded the same and in that case I'm more likely to gravitate towards the first band I discovered from that genre; Mastodon.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 11 2009, 10:22 AM)
Personally, I did like the other recommendations. My only problem is I believe there is so much wonderful music out there that limiting yourself to one sub-genre is, well, limiting. Alot of the stuff you recommended sounded the same and in that case I'm more likely to gravitate towards the first band I discovered from that genre; Mastodon.

If you, honestly, find that you DO like these other offerings in this small sub-genre, than my above diatribe doesn't pertain to you. Only you can know the truth of that. If a band's popularity has no bearing on your purchases and your likes, then this applies to the others, not you. But, don't make like those others don't exist. Because there all around you as soon as you walk out of the house every morning.

Followers. Those that have to know what the mob is wearing, listening to, where they're vacationing, etc. I certainly admit to being a follower at certain intervals. I definitely bought into to some really ridiculous fads when I was a teen. That's for sure. That's why I'm so confident in what I'm saying here. I know the reach and implications of the 'Bandwagon Effect'. And, when I see a group like Mastodon garner so much mainstream support, whilst their musical brethren can't fill a small club, it irks me.

Simple proposition. Fact of the matter is that if one truly likes Mastodon, they would also, naturally, gravitate towards other like-minded music. If they don't, then you know that they never really liked this type of music to begin with, but were only mimicking what the group was doing. Fair enough? Make sense?

And, believe me, the only similarity you're hearing amongst these bands that I posted is what you'd normally hear across any one specific genre, be it Thrash, or Ska, or Neo-Prog or Country. The more you listen to any one specific band, the more it becomes individual to you. Those titles I listed are on the same level as 'Crack The Skye' or I wouldn't have pushed them.

And, also, if you've seen any of the entries I've posted in 'What are you listening to now?' you'd know that I'm certainly not limited to this one, small, sub-genre. I listen to tons of different stuff. So, if you do really like some of these titles I listed, then pick one or two up. How about The Ocean's Precambrian or maybe Giant Squid's Metridium Fields? Some of this stuff is outside the mainstream, so you won't find them at Best Buy. Although, I did find the Baroness title right there. And, Gojira has become just as big as Mastodon now, so their probably offered at Best Buy as well.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 11 2009, 05:23 PM)

If you, honestly, find that you DO like these other offerings in this small sub-genre, than my above diatribe doesn't pertain to you. Only you can know the truth of that. If a band's popularity has no bearing on your purchases and your likes, then this applies to the others, not you. But, don't make like those others don't exist. Because there all around you as soon as you walk out of the house every morning.

Followers. Those that have to know what the mob is wearing, listening to, where they're vacationing, etc. I certainly admit to being a follower at certain intervals. I definitely bought into to some really ridiculous fads when I was a teen. That's for sure. That's why I'm so confident in what I'm saying here. I know the reach and implications of the 'Bandwagon Effect'. And, when I see a group like Mastodon garner so much mainstream support, whilst their musical brethren can't fill a small club, it irks me.

Simple proposition. Fact of the matter is that if one truly likes Mastodon, they would also, naturally, gravitate towards other like-minded music. If they don't, then you know that they never really liked this type of music to begin with, but were only mimicking what the group was doing. Fair enough? Make sense?

And, believe me, the only similarity you're hearing amongst these bands that I posted is what you'd normally hear across any one specific genre, be it Thrash, or Ska, or Neo-Prog or Country. The more you listen to any one specific band, the more it becomes individual to you. Those titles I listed are on the same level as 'Crack The Skye' or I wouldn't have pushed them.

And, also, if you've seen any of the entries I've posted in 'What are you listening to now?' you'd know that I'm certainly not limited to this one, small, sub-genre. I listen to tons of different stuff. So, if you do really like some of these titles I listed, then pick one or two up. How about The Ocean's Precambrian or maybe Giant Squid's Metridium Fields? Some of this stuff is outside the mainstream, so you won't find them at Best Buy. Although, I did find the Baroness title right there. And, Gojira has become just as big as Mastodon now, so their probably offered at Best Buy as well.

You know, I still don't think I've ever read a post of yours all the way through no.gif

I never would have heard of Mastadon without being at this site. If a Rush fan recommends that I give a new band (to me) a spin, I'll give it a listen. I hope I can find a copy local, or its off to Amazon. Thanks! 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 11 2009, 11:23 AM)

you sound like me 15 years ago....soooo cute!

we get it..you are Lester Bangs and you live in your moms basement and wont be bothered with societies rules regarding music and culture.

weve all been there dude..relax...have some fun.

trink38.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 14 2009, 12:30 PM)

we get it..you are Lester Bangs and you live in your moms basement and wont be bothered with societies rules regarding music and culture.

trink38.gif cool10.gif

Yer funny...but cha can't alway rely on looks. I live alone, in one of two houses that I own on the same block. I absolutely detest the writings of one Lesty Bangs. I think the man was wrong as he was long. I've never actually heard someone be so wrong about what it is that's good in the world, except maybe that other dimwit writer, Kurt Loader. I would urinate on the both of these men, given half the chance.

And, I'm absolutely right about what I've said about Mastodon in relation to these other bands. You might be able to see that fer yerself if you listened to the samples for these other offerings. This is far from being a situation, say, like - Metallica, where their first five outings were head and shoulders above the other Thrash bands' offerings. Metallica deserved all that media and fan support, because it laid waste to the best coming out of all other Thrash bands. Anthrax being a distant second, IMO.

This isn't like that at all, son. Here we have a half dozen albums which are on the same level as Mastodon's CTS...yet, they haven't garnered anywhere near the same level of support...Why? Why? C'mon now, why? Because a few, choice media outlets haven't got behind and supported these other cats. That's all. That's why. That's it, friend.

Just like the media chooses which Little Missing Girl's Case they are going to follow this year, at the expense and disregard of all others. Same exact thing here with the records, kid. They've choosen Mastodon. And, forgotten all the other gold. Pro'lly 'cause Mastodon's got the pretty packaging. That guy they use is some artist. But, it all boils down to something superficial like this. Because, I just heard the 'Giant Squid' outing two days ago, whilst shopping fer food, and it's absolutely outstanding, just like Blood Mountain is. No difference in quality. Yet one is on the tip of everyone's tongue and the other isn't. Dig?

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 15 2009, 05:00 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 14 2009, 12:30 PM)

trink38.gif  cool10.gif

Yer funny...but cha can't alway rely on looks. I live alone, in one of two houses that I own on the same block. I absolutely detest the writings of one Lesty Bangs. I think the man was wrong as he was long. I've never actually heard someone be so wrong about what it is that's good in the world, except maybe that other dimwit writer, Kurt Loader. I would urinate on the both of these men, given half the chance.

And, I'm absolutely right about what I've said about Mastodon in relation to these other bands. You might be able to see that fer yerself if you listened to the samples for these other offerings. This is far from being a situation, say, like - Metallica, where their first five outings were head and shoulders above the other Thrash bands' offerings. Metallica deserved all that media and fan support, because it laid waste to the best coming out of all other Thrash bands. Anthrax being a distant second, IMO.

This isn't like that at all, son. Here we have a half dozen albums which are on the same level as Mastodon's CTS...yet, they haven't garnered anywhere near the same level of support...Why? Why? C'mon now, why? Because a few, choice media outlets haven't got behind and supported these other cats. That's all. That's why. That's it, friend.

Just like the media chooses which Little Missing Girl's Case they are going to follow this year, at the expense and disregard of all others. Same exact thing here with the records, kid. They've choosen Mastodon. And, forgotten all the other gold. Pro'lly 'cause Mastodon's got the pretty packaging. That guy they use is some artist. But, it all boils down to something superficial like this. Because, I just heard the 'Giant Squid' outing two days ago, whilst shopping fer food, and it's absolutely outstanding, just like Blood Mountain is. No difference in quality. Yet one is on the tip of everyone's tongue and the other isn't. Dig?

You're not right at all. It's your opinion, that's all wink.gif

Reason Mastodon are popular; the last two albums have more crossover appeal than the others you suggested. That doesn't have to be superficial at all, but from what I've heard of the others, Mastodon incorporate more of a classic rock sound, and more of a progressive rock sound. And seeing as Crack The Skye has less of a thrash sound, it's going to appeal to more as the sound is less 'extreme'. The more areas of music you incorporate into your songs, the more people are going to pick it up.

From another point of view, one could say they've heard other stuff in the genre. I listen to King Crimson, Rush and Porcupine Tree and I'd say Mastodon are in that league now.

Another reason Mastodon are more popular is because they're seen as the leaders of this type of music. They've been well known in the metal community since Remission, and even if those other bands' albums are just as good, they didn't come first. Mastodon were on to their next thing while the other bands followed.

Of course the media coverage and critical praise of Crack the Skye has made them even more popular, but they were seen as a break out band before that. People like following bands, and Mastodon have been awesome since they came out. It's just natural for them to keep gaining fans with each new release. It's not fair to act like the media just latched on to one band and that's why they're more popular than the others.

Factor in that they're one of the most exciting live bands around and it's not really hard to understand their broader appeal.

• Like 1

I don't think what I'm saying here is opinion at all. Or, the fact that the media latched onto the Natalie Halloway case over ALL other similiar cases also happens to be only my opinion too. The analogy is killer.

I don't see Mastodon as has having ANY crossover appeal. That's why you've received such a reaction from me. That the reason why I'm so astounded over their popularity. Mastodon are an excellent, excellent band with, I think, absolutely no mainstream-crossover appeal at all.

That's why I can't see why a person who REALLY liks something like Crack The Skye would differentiate between that awesomely solid effort and what Intronaut or Baroness has recently done. If ya like one, it SHOULD mean that you would like this particular genre of music as a WHOLE, and it should follow that you would look into these other titles and like them as well. That's what's called 'logic'.

Mastodon doesn't sound like, nor will they ever be a mainstream-crossover band. There is nothing POP in their sound at all. Not a shred.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 15 2009, 12:09 PM)
That's why I can't see why a person who REALLY liks something like Crack The Skye would differentiate between that awesomely solid effort and what Intronaut or Baroness has recently done. If ya like one, it SHOULD mean that you would like this particular genre of music as a WHOLE, and it should follow that you would look into these other titles and like them as well. That's what's called 'logic'.

For some people that may make sense. From my perspective I tend to focus on a couple of groups that I consider to be the cream of the crop and forget about the rest of the genre. That leaves me free to explore other genres. It may not make sense but I go with the best of the breed and move on.

There are alot of groups that it would make complete sense for me to like but I don't.

Since I like Megadeth it seems that I would like Metallica. Not for me.

Since I like Steve Vai it seems that I would like Joe Satriani. Again, no thanks.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 15 2009, 12:09 PM)
I don't think what I'm saying here is opinion at all. Or, the fact that the media latched onto the Natalie Halloway case over ALL other similiar cases also happens to be only my opinion too. The analogy is killer.

I don't see Mastodon as has having ANY crossover appeal. That's why you've received such a reaction from me. That the reason why I'm so astounded over their popularity. Mastodon are an excellent, excellent band with, I think, absolutely no mainstream-crossover appeal at all.

Mastodon doesn't sound like, nor will they ever be a mainstream-crossover band. There is nothing POP in their sound at all. Not a shred.

I think the Metal scene is just looking for a band to " fly the flag" so to speak.

Lamb Of God is another band that all of a sudden is being noticed. they were nominated for a grammy this year and shit. but 5 years ago , no one knew who they were. this type of shit always happens. the media latches on to a band and try and make them " cool" , even though the real Metal fans know the deal.

Lamb Of God just played around these parts last weekend. and the reviwer in one of the local papers stated that they were like the new Pantera.... confused13.gif ...