Rush and Tolken

Cowtothesky

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine, who isn't a big Rush fan. He said that everytime he sees a Tolken reference or dungeons & dragons reference, he thinks of Rush fans.

Now, I don't think that Rush has ever had a Tolken reference in their songs, but I could be wrong. And - I don't think my friend's perspective is unique. I think a lot of people look at Rush as a band that wrote about middle Earth. confused13.gif

But, what I am confused about is that other bands who did write music with Tolken references (i.e. Led Zeppelin) do not get the 'nerd' label. Is it because Led Zep did drugs? Why is Rush considered a dungeons & dragons type band, when other bands clearly should have this label?

I wouldn't bring this up if I felt my friends perspective was unique. I have heard this before and always set the record straight.

Rivendell is a place in Tolkien literature.

Plus the other stuff they were doing around that time is very Tolkienesque - By-Tor, Fountain of Lamneth.

Stage clothes were very "wizard/sorceror" - silk kimonos, huge flappy sleeves etc. That's all D&D isn't it?

Lyrics like "Who has come to slay the dragon?" as late as Permanent Waves.

So all in all it is a fair shout.

Well, Rivendells all about Lord Of the Rings...

The bottom line is that Rush were never "sexy".

Led Zep were "cool" and "sexy" and thus could be forgiven anything by the public.

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Jan 21 2009, 06:10 PM)
Rivendell is a place in Tolkien literature.

Plus the other stuff they were doing around that time is very Tolkienesque - By-Tor, Fountain of Lamneth.

Stage clothes were very "wizard/sorceror" - silk kimonos, huge flappy sleeves etc.  That's all D&D isn't it?

Lyrics like "Who has come to slay the dragon?" as late as Permanent Waves.

So all in all it is a fair shout.

...and of course I forgot 'That Darn Dragon'.

Yeah nerd games.....nerd music...nerd books.

ok, there were some early references. I'll concede that. It's been a long time. But, Neil wrote about a LOT of literature, and Tolken wasn't a predominate subject in my opinion. But yea - I forgot about Rivendell and just after I typed this thread, I thought about A Farewell to Kings.