Actors that are good

treeduck

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 7 2009, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 7 2009, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (Turn Me On Dead Man @ Jan 7 2009, 06:46 PM)
Tom Hanks is a fine actor.

I think he's overrated. I liked him as lightweight comedy actor in the 80s in stuff like The Burbs. Then all of a sudden he got two oscars for two bad films and suddenly people were comparing him to Spencer Tracy (who should be on my oldie list) and that's blasphemy to me. He's just not in that league. Another Robin Williams. I just don't get these guys at all...

I'd prefer to watch Ernest Borgnine and Robert Ryan, who probably should be on the list too...

Big, Punchline, A League of Their Own, Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, That Thing You Do!, Saving Private Ryan. The Green Mile, Catch Me If You Can, etc. - all great movies and all great performances IMHO. And that's not to mention several movies that I didn't love, but still loved his acting. He's top notch in my book...

I don't rate any of those films, certainly not on the same level as the actors on my first list. Even at best those films would amount to throwaway entertainment to me...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 7 2009, 06:21 PM)

I think he's overrated. I liked him as lightweight comedy actor in the 80s in stuff like The Burbs. Then all of a sudden he got two oscars for two bad films and suddenly people were comparing him to Spencer Tracy (who should be on my oldie list) and that's blasphemy to me. He's just not in that league. Another Robin Williams. I just don't get these guys at all...

I'd prefer to watch Ernest Borgnine and Robert Ryan, who probably should be on the list too...

Big, Punchline, A League of Their Own, Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, That Thing You Do!, Saving Private Ryan. The Green Mile, Catch Me If You Can, etc. - all great movies and all great performances IMHO. And that's not to mention several movies that I didn't love, but still loved his acting. He's top notch in my book...

I don't rate any of those films, certainly not on the same level as the actors on my first list. Even at best those films would amount to throwaway entertainment to me...

I actually mant to take out A League of Their Own before I posted that. I enjoyed the movie and thought Tom Hanks was great, but it's not up to the level of those other films.

Well treeduck, I'm glad we agree on SOME things (even though I'm at a loss to remember what any of those things are at the mo). tongue.gif

Oh yeah, we both like Rush! At least I think we both do... unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 7 2009, 08:24 PM)

I actually mant to take out A League of Their Own before I posted that. I enjoyed the movie and thought Tom Hanks was great, but it's not up to the level of those other films.

Well treeduck, I'm glad we agree on SOME things (even though I'm at a loss to remember what any of those things are at the mo). tongue.gif

Don't try and say I'm being negative in this thread goobs, I've listed over 60 actors I admire both old and new. Are you saying you don't like any of them?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 7 2009, 08:23 PM)
Too bad about Heath Ledger. He was immensely talented.

I couldn't put him in the list as I've not seen a lot of him, plus h's younger than 35. I saw The Order last year (after he'd died) and I watched it specially to see how good he was, but I dunno he seemed a little bit underwhelming. Mumbling his lines, I could hardly make out what he was saying half the time...bit of a tedious film too...

I can't judge him just on that though...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 7 2009, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 7 2009, 08:24 PM)

Don't try and say I'm being negative in this thread goobs, I've listed over 60 actors I admire both old and new. Are you saying you don't like any of them?

confused13.gif

laugh.gif

no dude, not at all. just that us disagreeing on things has become somewhat of a sport. tongue.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 7 2009, 08:50 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 7 2009, 08:23 PM)
Too bad about Heath Ledger.  He was immensely talented.

I couldn't put him in the list as I've not seen a lot of him, plus h's younger than 35. I saw The Order last year (after he'd died) and I watched it specially to see how good he was, but I dunno he seemed a little bit underwhelming. Mumbling his lines, I could hardly make out what he was saying half the time...bit of a tedious film too...

I can't judge him just on that though...

Whoops, my bad about the age requirement!

Old timers - Bogey, and The Duke, were not mentioned.

Two Good female actors are Diane Lane and Jennifer Connely

Edited by tick

I like Tom Hanks or at least what he did in the 90's.

William Hurt was in a film in 1985 called "The Trip to Bountiful" which I thought was amazing. He plays a supporting role though.

If this thread includes women I've admired Jodie Foster for a long time.

I also really like Cate Blanchett - a fine character actress.

Another on the fence guy is Nick Nolte. Sometimes he can be very good, sometimes (The Hulk) very bad.

EDIT: I wrote down a few names, but then I saw the 35-55 bit. I'm revising my list.

SECOND EDIT: I found two screen legends who qualify ...

Ron Jeremy

Jenna Jameson

Edited by tupelobarchetta

What about Kurt Russell ? He is kinda on the fence as well.

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 8 2009, 08:10 AM)
Old timers - Bogey, and The Duke, were not mentioned.
Two Good female actors are Diane Lane and Jennifer Connely

Yeah those two are definitely worthy, I like a ton of Wayne westerns, The Commancheros, True Grit, El Dorado and Rio bravo are my faves...

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 8 2009, 11:19 AM)
What about Kurt Russell ? He is kinda on the fence as well.

Yeah Kurt's ok, especially his stuff with Carpenter, The Thing and Escape from New York...

Oh yeah here's a good Ray Liotta film, Unlawful Entry with Kurt...

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 8 2009, 10:23 AM)
Another on the fence guy is Nick Nolte. Sometimes he can be very good, sometimes (The Hulk) very bad.

Yes good one, I do like him, forget the Hulk he's paid his dues he was great as a dirty cop in Q&A for instance that alone should wipe out the hulk...

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 7 2009, 05:49 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 7 2009, 07:45 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 7 2009, 06:28 PM)
that haven't already been mentioned:

Philip Seymour Hoffman
Paul Giamitti
William Hurt

I've not seen enough of Hoffman to know, what I've seen yeah he seems solid...

I've never liked William Hurt much, always saw compared him to the better Hurt, John Hurt, who should be on my good oldie list...

I don't know the other guy...

Paul Giamatti is a supreme actor !

Giamitti was awesome in Sideways!

He's on the list...but I think Ed Norton is awesome. He can play any role. He was brilliant in American History X.