Actors you just can't stand

Tick

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 10 2009, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 10 2009, 11:09 AM)
Wow, reading through this thread, I like a good 80% or so of the people listed here ( unsure.gif ), although admittedly some of those people have been in some pretty crappy movies.  It's entirely possible that I either have lower standards or am just more forgiving. tongue.gif 

I think there's an important distinction between being a bad actor and just being in a movie that doesn't require a stellar performance.  Like take Vince Vaughn as one example - I think he's great.  I loved movies like Swingers and Wedding Crashers - neither required an oscar-winning kind of performance, and for what those parts were, I thought he did great.  I guess with some actors I don't expect truly fantastic performances, but then again you wouldn't really see someone like Vince Vaughn cast in a role that would usually go to a Sean Penn, Russel Crowe or Philip Seymour Hoffman.

For me to think an actor is truly bad, I have to notice what seems to be a truly bad performance, and then see that consistently.  Take Keanu Reeves in Much Ado About Nothing - a really awful performance IMHO.  Then again, I thought he was awesome in the first Matrix.  Was it a part requiring extreme emotional depth?  No.  I appreciated it for what it was. 

There aren't a lot of actors/actresses I'll write off totally.  Like take Drew Barrymore (mentioned earlier).  I thought she was a pretty lousy actress growing up, but I think she got better and at some point became really good.  Is she among the very best?  Certainly not, but I've enjoyed several movies she's been in.

And then there are some (IMHO) truly great actors and actresses mentioned here as well, like Nicole Kidman, Leonardio Decaprio and Tom Cruise. 

Maybe some people can't separate Tom Cruise's personal life from his acting now, but there was a time he was considered among the best with films like A Few Good Men, Born on the Fourth of July, Rain Man, The Color of Money, etc.  Maybe some people didn't like him before his personal life got so public, but I thought he was generally considered great before that.  I don't think his acting has become worse since then, although he hasn't been in a lot of great movies lately either, at least that I've seen.  I did think he was great in Minority Report and The Last Samurai, and those weren't too long ago.

Anyway, all IMHO.  Like I said before, it's entirely possible I just have lower standards, and if so, I'm ok with that. tongue.gif wink.gif

blah blah blah

eyesre4.gif

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. yes.gif

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southernjim @ Jan 10 2009, 10:28 AM)
I guess I'll nominate kevin Costner, since Tom Cruise isn't terrible, but he's crazy.

Kevin Costner had a great run there for a little while - The Untouchables, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, Dances With Wolves... - those last 3 I especially loved. Alas, his choices and acting were not always quite as stellar after that...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 10 2009, 01:02 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 10 2009, 11:00 AM)
QUOTE (southernjim @ Jan 10 2009, 12:28 PM)
treeduck makes sense....

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

laugh.gif

even though in the next post he said he meant me - of course you conveniently left that part out. tongue.gif

That's what the laugh.gif was about knucklehead...

eyesre4.gif

wink.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 10 2009, 11:04 AM)
treeduck makes sense....

laugh.gif

even though in the next post he said he meant me - of course you conveniently left that part out. tongue.gif

eyesre4.gif

wink.gif

laugh.gif

Sorry, I only got a B+ in smiley interpretation.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 10 2009, 12:57 PM)
I guess I'll nominate kevin Costner, since Tom Cruise isn't terrible, but he's crazy.

Kevin Costner had a great run there for a little while - The Untouchables, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, Dances With Wolves... - those last 3 I especially loved. Alas, his choices and acting were not always quite as stellar after that...

Watch 'Open Range'.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 10 2009, 01:09 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 10 2009, 11:04 AM)
treeduck makes sense....

laugh.gif

eyesre4.gif

wink.gif

laugh.gif

Sorry, I only got a B+ in smiley interpretation.

Well you shouldn't try to interpret then Goobs...

wink.gif

Actress ,Sandra Bullock gawd she's annoying. Edited by softfilter

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 10 2009, 12:14 PM)

Watch 'Open Range'.

He was also good in "Silverado"

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jan 12 2009, 12:27 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 10 2009, 12:14 PM)

Watch 'Open Range'.

He was also good in "Silverado"

Maybe, but that's a much earlier film. The criticism of Costner was over his post-Wolves movies.

Still another Costner baseball movie: For Love of the Game was decent. But the day an aging pitcher for Detroit pitches a perfect game against the New York Yankees... well... it ain't gonna happen.

Have any of you seen the new extended cut of 'Waterworld'? Is it any better? I have to admit that I'm curious about checking it out. Say what you want about it, it was a cool concept and I think Dennis Hopper's performance was hilarious. Sure it was cheesy, but I think that was intentional.

Edited coz eye kant spel gud.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 10 2009, 01:14 PM)

Watch 'Open Range'.

Excellent movie.

Some folks mentioned Jake Gyllenhaal. I might agree with you regarding his recent movies.

However, one of his early films, "October Sky", is a brilliant tear-jerker.

And wouldn't you know it; it came out BEFORE he became famous.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 12 2009, 12:16 PM)
Have any of you seen the new extended cut of 'Waterworld'? Is it any better? I have to admit that I'm curious about checking it out. Say what you want about it, it was a cool concept and I think Dennis Hopper's performance was hilarious. Sure it was cheesy, but I think that was intentional.

I haven't, but I do like Waterworld. Always have. It's basically Road Warrior on water and that's good enough for me.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jan 12 2009, 11:12 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 12 2009, 12:16 PM)

I haven't, but I do like Waterworld. Always have. It's basically Road Warrior on water and that's good enough for me.

I saw Waterworld right when it came out and I enjoyed it. It was only afterwards that I heard all the hubbub surrounding it.

I sincerely think a lot of people went into this movie so prejudiced (since at the time it was the most expensive movie ever made at around $200 million), that they couldn't enjoy it the way they would have without having known all the hpye surrounding it. Then again, maybe many of those people wouldn't have liked it anyway, but I know it played a role in some people's minds.

Not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely a fun and entertaining Road Warrior like movie IMHO...

I get very annoyed with Leonardo DiCaprio (an echo of me mid-teen years when he was all any gorl my age talked about. Couldn't stand him now, still can't stand him, although he seems to be not a bad actor) and Kirsten Dunst. I have become even more annoyed by Dunst after someone said I looked like her (the poor bugger thought he was complementing me!) Eugh...

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 12 2009, 11:29 AM)
Some folks mentioned Jake Gyllenhaal. I might agree with you regarding his recent movies.

October Sky was great. The guy that played his father was awesome.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jan 13 2009, 01:09 AM)

His name is Chris Cooper. He reminded me a lot of my own father in that film, particularly a scene at the kitchen table when Jake began backtalking him.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jan 12 2009, 11:09 PM)

He was also great in Brokeback Mountain...

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jan 13 2009, 01:09 AM)

Yep. I love that movie and I've always been a Chris Cooper fan.