The DIY thread.

Necromancer

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 30 2008, 07:47 AM)
We don't own and probably never will.

I love this place though and just want to modern it up a bit. The kitchen will be the first project I think.

I seen a great product on DIY the other day. It's a laminate that gives whatever you're covering the look of stainless steel. It actually is SS, but in a very thin, but durable laminate. I'd love to redo the appliances with this stuff. They were here with the place and are NOT the prettiest appliances. no.gif

Along with some black granite tiles to cover our small counter, a new faucet and lots of paint... i think we can make our very little kitchen look a hell of a lot better for not too much money. If the place was mine, that'd be different.

That's why we love Design on a Dime and From Junky to Funky the most. Those shows are great for people on tight budgets. Some of those shows, you have to be mega-rich to pull off the stuff they do.

Those are two of my favorite shows (as you probably know by now!). I have a Design on a Dime book too that I thumb through every now and again for ideas. One fun challenge (for me) is trying to think of clever was of making or re-creating things. Those shows are a great inspiration. But that's always been part of my style or what I find attractive in a house. I like walking into a house and feeling like the homeowners personality comes through. I hate houses with rooms that look like something directly off a showroom floor.

Anyway...

Necro, you can always paint appliances too (probably a lot cheaper than using the stainless steel route). Just buy the right paint product, take the appliances outdoors, paint, voila! Easy, cheap and a fast fix. Same for the cabinets if you want to paint those as well.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 30 2008, 10:59 AM)

I love this place though and just want to modern it up a bit.  The kitchen will be the first project I think. 

I seen a great product on DIY the other day.  It's a laminate that gives whatever you're covering the look of stainless steel.  It actually is SS, but in a very thin, but durable laminate.  I'd love to redo the appliances with this stuff.  They were here with the place and are NOT the prettiest appliances.  no.gif 

Along with some black granite tiles to cover our small counter, a new faucet and lots of paint... i think we can make our very little kitchen look a hell of a lot better for not too much money.  If the place was mine, that'd be different. 

That's why we love Design on a Dime and From Junky to Funky the most.  Those shows are great for people on tight budgets.  Some of those shows, you have to be mega-rich to pull off the stuff they do.

Those are two of my favorite shows (as you probably know by now!). I have a Design on a Dime book too that I thumb through every now and again for ideas. One fun challenge (for me) is trying to think of clever was of making or re-creating things. Those shows are a great inspiration. But that's always been part of my style or what I find attractive in a house. I like walking into a house and feeling like the homeowners personality comes through. I hate houses with rooms that look like something directly off a showroom floor.

Anyway...

Necro, you can always paint appliances too (probably a lot cheaper than using the stainless steel route). Just buy the right paint product, take the appliances outdoors, paint, voila! Easy, cheap and a fast fix. Same for the cabinets if you want to paint those as well.

But be warned: cabinets are a LOT of work to paint! The doors have to come off, you have to strip the topcoat and sand (or the new paint will just peel right off). And, unless you have a workshop for that sort of thing, priming and painting doors can only be done 1 side at a time. And then the screws on the hardware do NOT want to go back into the holes they came out of.

I used 3 coats of paint, and was amazed, when I was done, that I only had used about 1/3 of the can of paint, considering how long it took. I had this planned and took vacation time to complete it.

Painters charge $20-$25 per linear foot to paint cabinets. Now I understand why.

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 30 2008, 11:59 AM)

Necro, don't think you can't own. You and CeeJ are young. There's a lot you can do to improve credit (if that's the issue), and the economy won't suck forever. Start saving for a down payment now. . .you'd be surprised at how quickly a few bucks per week adds up.

It's the age. I'm 43 and 3 of our 5 kids are grown now and the other two split time here. So really... no reason to take on the hardship of owning. I like it the way it is now. Anything major that needs to be done, the landlord foots the bill. I just want to worry about it looking halfway decent while we're here (probably until the twins graduate, 3.5 yrs., then we're off to somewhere new).

We have been considering painting the cabs. They are old fashioned, fake wood cabs. I'll probably just take the doors off and set them against the wall when the kitchen is empty to do the doors. I'm using a sprayer for it. I'll do them first before I do the walls and floor covering. wink.gif

^^^You've a point! Sometimes I miss certain aspects of renting. Need a new water heater or the roof has a leak? Call the landlord. And no homeowner's insurance to pay. . .

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 26 2008, 01:36 PM)
On DIY, there's a show called Man Caves. What an awesome show that is.

Though I hate the star of it, Tony "Goose" Saragusa, the real STAR of the show, Jason the contractor, does a real good job of showing you how to use some serious tools and what kind of supplies work best for each particular project.

I just wish I had a room here to turn into a Man-Cave. I'd send in my name to the show. yes.gif

I LOVE that show too Necro! I'd love a Man Cave. I have 2 1/2 projects for 2009 I'd like to do. We bought our house a year and a half ago.

1. I want to redo our bathroom. We only have the one bathroom, and it really needs help.

2. We are going to try to redo our kitchen. Again, it's a pretty small, pretty f@#ked up design, so we're limited in what we can do. Long term (WAAAYYY long term) is to build on, but we'd like to spruce up the kitchen as a half step, maybe do some rewiring and get rid of that god-awful, old dark brown paneled wainscoting. 062802puke_prv.gif

and my half project is to finish the living room. I have one corner left to paint, and I need to put up some baseboards. I do have some before shots of the living room and I'll post those along with the after shots when we're done.

Thanks for putting up this thread. This will be fun. Maybe we can do a Q & A here too.

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Dec 30 2008, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 26 2008, 01:36 PM)
On DIY, there's a show called Man Caves.  What an awesome show that is. 

Though I hate the star of it, Tony "Goose" Saragusa, the real STAR of the show, Jason the contractor, does a real good job of showing you how to use some serious tools and what kind of supplies work best for each particular project. 

I just wish I had a room here to turn into a Man-Cave.  I'd send in my name to the show.  yes.gif

I LOVE that show too Necro! I'd love a Man Cave. I have 2 1/2 projects for 2009 I'd like to do. We bought our house a year and a half ago.

1. I want to redo our bathroom. We only have the one bathroom, and it really needs help.

2. We are going to try to redo our kitchen. Again, it's a pretty small, pretty f@#ked up design, so we're limited in what we can do. Long term (WAAAYYY long term) is to build on, but we'd like to spruce up the kitchen as a half step, maybe do some rewiring and get rid of that god-awful, old dark brown paneled wainscoting. 062802puke_prv.gif

and my half project is to finish the living room. I have one corner left to paint, and I need to put up some baseboards. I do have some before shots of the living room and I'll post those along with the after shots when we're done.

Thanks for putting up this thread. This will be fun. Maybe we can do a Q & A here too.

Glad you found us. Good luck with the projects. Don't forget to take before and afters pics. yes.gif

I'm hoping that it WILL evolve to include Q&A. That would be awesome. yes.gif

Edit to add: Just curious, but what would be your theme for your mancave? Mine would be half comic book related and half sports themed.

Edited by Necromancer

Hey!!! Today I changed my own oil and oil filter! It was a piece of cake. And yes, I DID remember to put the drain plug back.

Next time I'll probably have it done professionally, since I am due for a new PCV valve.

I know this is a DYI on home improvement, but I wanted to share. I feel very accomplished.

yes.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 31 2008, 12:10 AM)
Hey!!! Today I changed my own oil and oil filter! It was a piece of cake. And yes, I DID remember to put the drain plug back.
Next time I'll probably have it done professionally, since I am due for a new PCV valve.

I know this is a DYI on home improvement, but I wanted to share. I feel very accomplished.
yes.gif

Nope. My original post included car repair as well. yes.gif

Very cool. I haven't done my own maintenance on any of my cars since the 90's when they made them all so small to get under. I don't trust jack stands. no.gif

Today was New Year's ROCKIN' Eve on the DIY network. They had a marathon of the shows hosted by those two cousins that are masons. The one show, From Inside to Outside, just makes me sick. I would soooo love to have a huge yard so I could do some of these projects. Especially a waterfall and pond with some Koy. drool1.gif

But alas... small yard and I rent. doh.gif

I really gotta stop watching these shows. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 30 2008, 11:59 AM)

I love this place though and just want to modern it up a bit.  The kitchen will be the first project I think. 

I seen a great product on DIY the other day.  It's a laminate that gives whatever you're covering the look of stainless steel.  It actually is SS, but in a very thin, but durable laminate.  I'd love to redo the appliances with this stuff.  They were here with the place and are NOT the prettiest appliances.  no.gif 

Along with some black granite tiles to cover our small counter, a new faucet and lots of paint... i think we can make our very little kitchen look a hell of a lot better for not too much money.  If the place was mine, that'd be different. 

That's why we love Design on a Dime and From Junky to Funky the most.  Those shows are great for people on tight budgets.  Some of those shows, you have to be mega-rich to pull off the stuff they do.

Anyway...

Looking into the painting approach to the appliances now. The laminate is awfully expensive and probably much harder and time consuming.

Our appliances are old anyway. They work great, but they have been beaten and need new life. The appliance paint will work great. I found a link where one guy said to use engine paint on the stove to handle the heat better and because it has a better sprayer. I think we'll do that. Here's the quote:

We recently did this using appliance paint (going from cream to white). The results weren't bad, but they weren't stellar either. We also painted the range using some engine paint (purchased from Auto Zone), which has enamel in it. The engine paint is comparably priced and resulted in a much better finish than the appliance paint. The engine paint also had a precision nozzle, which made it much easier to get a consistent coat without running. I'd expect to make at least two coats using black, which will probably take 2 to 3 cans for a complete job.

Definitely sand the surface down first (I used 80 grit paper, followed by a scotch brite). I also used blue painters tape to mask the gaskets. You will have to open the doors to paint, too (to get the edges that are covered by the gaskets when the doors are closed), and you can just use a big piece of cardboard to prevent overspray from getting inside the fridge and freezer. Finally, we used some contact paper to update the handles, which came out very nice.

posted by ajr at 2:35 PM on May 18, 2005

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 1 2009, 09:19 AM)

Anyway...

Looking into the painting approach to the appliances now. The laminate is awfully expensive and probably much harder and time consuming.

Our appliances are old anyway. They work great, but they have been beaten and need new life. The appliance paint will work great. I found a link where one guy said to use engine paint on the stove to handle the heat better and because it has a better sprayer. I think we'll do that. Here's the quote:

We recently did this using appliance paint (going from cream to white). The results weren't bad, but they weren't stellar either. We also painted the range using some engine paint (purchased from Auto Zone), which has enamel in it. The engine paint is comparably priced and resulted in a much better finish than the appliance paint. The engine paint also had a precision nozzle, which made it much easier to get a consistent coat without running. I'd expect to make at least two coats using black, which will probably take 2 to 3 cans for a complete job.

Definitely sand the surface down first (I used 80 grit paper, followed by a scotch brite). I also used blue painters tape to mask the gaskets. You will have to open the doors to paint, too (to get the edges that are covered by the gaskets when the doors are closed), and you can just use a big piece of cardboard to prevent overspray from getting inside the fridge and freezer. Finally, we used some contact paper to update the handles, which came out very nice.

He had great advice! I think this should work well. It's certainly something I would be willing to try.

If you do this, be sure to post before and after pics because I'd love to see how the appliances turn out.

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Dec 30 2008, 10:03 AM)

I agree that this is a great thread! The Q&A is a great idea. I'll start.

I have a question... I'd love to get rid of the carpet in the master bathroom. It's the only bathroom that is carpeted. I have no idea why the builders did this. It makes NO sense to have a completely carpeted bathroom. Anyway, I want to remove the carpet and put down tile. I'd love to be able to do this myself. Has anyone else tackled such a task? Any advice? Is this a good project for a beginner or is this something better left for the professionals?

QUOTE (Janie @ Jan 1 2009, 12:55 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 1 2009, 09:19 AM)

Anyway...

He had great advice! I think this should work well. It's certainly something I would be willing to try.

If you do this, be sure to post before and after pics because I'd love to see how the appliances turn out.

Am now thinking of painting the appliances black. . . biggrin.gif

I have fixed up a few old houses and have done a little of everything except electrical and gas work. I had a little house from the 1880's which I worked over from the flooring up to the roof and chimney. The house was a beater but I really liked it. Rented it out and it burned to the ground a year later. They guy brought his motorcycle in the house and then took off the gas tank while working next to the gas floor furnace.

Right now my major DIY task is reclaiming and maintaining my yard. Killing poison ivy, english ivy, honeysuckle, and other invasive weeds. Been cutting,stacking and burning. I like to landscape and its a good release after working at the computer.

Necro, I would be reluctant to remodel a rental unless I was compensated for it in some way. Talk to your landlord and get it straight and in writing. I have heard horror stories from both the landlords and tenants perspective. Landlords upset that the tenant either remodeled without permission or did a substandard job. Conversely I have heard of tenants who have remodeled and then had the rent raised on them as the landlord figued he could charge more now that the place was nicer. Either way, good luck!

QUOTE (tangy @ Jan 1 2009, 10:10 AM)
Right now my major DIY task is reclaiming and maintaining my yard. Killing poison ivy, english ivy, honeysuckle, and other invasive weeds. Been cutting,stacking and burning. I like to landscape and its a good release after working at the computer.

I wish I had a green thumb and the time and patience for landscaping. I don't mind it but living in Seattle creates a whole mess of problems. Moss is a huge problem for my yard! Our yard is high maintenance. I have to deal with blackberry bushes so feel your pain with invasive overgrowth. Be super careful with that poison ivy!

Just found this stuff! It's a liquid paint-on stainless steel effect finish for appliances! Not outrageously expensive either, and since it isn't a spray-on product, you don't have to drag the appliances out into the garage.

http://www.liquidstainlesssteel.com/index2.html

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 1 2009, 02:38 PM)
Just found this stuff! It's a liquid paint-on stainless steel effect finish for appliances! Not outrageously expensive either, and since it isn't a spray-on product, you don't have to drag the appliances out into the garage.

Very cool. Might do this instead. It seems like it might come out better than the black, and comes in at the same cost.

We got time to mull it all over though. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 1 2009, 01:38 PM)

That's great! I may have to do that.

we started remodeling the kitchen a couple of years ago putting in granite countertops...we used the uba tuba that mara has pictured on page 1

before

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o59/failte2112/kitchenbeforepb.jpg

after new countertops

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o59/failte2112/kitchenafterpb.jpg

now smile.gif

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o59/failte2112/newkitpb1.jpg

we have to replace the appliances yet and we're gonna redo the floor, but that will be later on in the year. kenny did all of this in like 2 weeks with some help painting from me. and we're tired smile.gif

QUOTE (failte @ Jan 11 2009, 07:24 PM)
we started remodeling the kitchen a couple of years ago putting in granite countertops...we used the uba tuba that mara has pictured on page 1

before
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o59/failte2112/kitchenbeforepb.jpg

after new countertops
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o59/failte2112/kitchenafterpb.jpg

now smile.gif
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o59/failte2112/newkitpb1.jpg

we have to replace the appliances yet and we're gonna redo the floor, but that will be later on in the year.  kenny did all of this in like 2 weeks with some help painting from me.  and we're tired smile.gif

wow, that looks fantastic!

how much did it cost, if i may ask?

i've heard granite countertops cost big bucks. eh.gif