Give me your best hangover cure ?

Tick

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 25 2009, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Aug 7 2009, 01:57 PM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Dec 20 2008, 12:08 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Dec 19 2008, 01:35 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 19 2008, 08:52 AM)

Never, ever, take acetaminophen (i.e. Tylenol) before going to bed after binging. That stuff tears up your liver and with your body metabolizing the copious amounts of alcohol already, it's doing double duty.

I am always amazed at how many people do not know this.

I have never heard this before and I have family and friends who are doctors and nurses. Nice to know! thanks

You beat me to it.

Acetemetaphin (Tylenol) is under more and more scrutiny for the damage it does to your liver, and I believe the FDA is going to lower the maximum single dosage to 650mg (from 1000mg) due to so many people not realizing how much of this they're taking . It's in Nyquil, Prescriptions like Vicodin, and so many other OTC products. People are taking too much and not knowing it.

Anyway, back in my younger and partying days I would drink a lot of water and take "whatever was available for a headache" usually advil, but sometimes tylenol before bed...and I didn't know what I know now about the damage that can do. Now it's absolutely advil. It's harmless to your liver and allows it to fight off the alcohol and not have to deal with the tylenol and do double duty.

They need to take it out of Percocet and other opiates so abusers can feel better about there addiction. yes.gif

no.gif

bekloppt.gif

doh.gif BOY !

I only ever take Vicodin when I've had dental work done (which admittedly has been pretty frequent in the past year with all of the reconstructive work). No way could I ever get addicted - it absolutely amps me up beyond belief.

As to my hangover cure? Well, it's been a while. But - and it sounds awful, but it does work - greasy, starchy food. Like a McDonald's sausage biscuit. Or a hamburger - get the cheese. Anything deep fried. Once, when I was in New Orleans, fried oysters did the trick. That was one of the worst and in fact is what turned me on to this cure; I'd been gagging and hoarking all day after way too many hurricanes the night before. In fact, I very nearly spewed on the trolley ride on the way to dinner. After a couple of cokes and some fried oysters, I was pretty much 100%.

BTW, these are only for puke-hangovers with accompanying bouts of dry heaving. That's the only kind of hangover I have any experience with (believe me, I've had some nasty ones). For headaches I can't help.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to avoid: sugar. It's been a long time since I got hammered enough to have a hangover, but this I remember.

I ran out of Claritin yesterday and now I feel like I have a hangover.

QUOTE (VarianStar @ May 12 2009, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 12 2008, 10:43 PM)
For me, the same thing works EVERY time (and Ive been at this a while).  For me, the way to avoid it is to not let it start.  No matter how bombed I am, I drink as much water as I can stand, even a little past where I think Im not thirsty anymore and take 2-3 Advil BEFORE I pass out.  It ALWAYS works!

This is what has always worked for me. I haven't had a hangover in years thanks to this method. Eating a little something helps too.

2 Bread, 2 Water, 2 Advil

Yes, I forogt to add that - food. At least a little, a little carbs and a little protein the morning after even tho you dont feel like eating. For me usually whole grain wheat bread and a slice or two of turkey breast does the trick...

For me, I usually take a cold shower while drunk prior to tumbling into bed.

After that I drink a pint of cold water with a dash of salt and 2 aspirin; and keep a further pint of cold water by my bedside throughout the night.

The following morning I feel a little groggy but certainly not trashed out or confined to bed.

Has worked for me for at least 20 years smile.gif

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Aug 27 2009, 10:37 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Aug 27 2009, 08:01 AM)
diner food.
2 eggs, hash browns, bacon, toast, coffee, oj

'atta boy trink39.gif

Oh yes. I'd add a short stack to that order.

After a night of drinking, nothing beats a big greasy breakfast at a diner or IHop. Damn, I haven't had one of those breakfasts in a long time. I need to get drunk again. trink38.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 22 2009, 02:19 PM)
diner food.

'atta boy trink39.gif

After a night of drinking, nothing beats a big greasy breakfast at a diner or IHop. Damn, I haven't had one of those breakfasts in a long time. I need to get drunk again. trink38.gif

absolutely! the pancakes make it a grand slam breakfast.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 22 2009, 07:22 PM)
diner food.

'atta boy trink39.gif

I forgot to mention Denny's. It's always a good place to go for a post-drunken breakfast. trink38.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 22 2009, 06:33 PM)
diner food.

'atta boy trink39.gif

I forgot to mention Denny's. It's always a good place to go for a post-drunken breakfast. trink38.gif

where is there a denny's in ny? i don't see them anymore unless i go out west.

Edited by ReflectedLight

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 22 2009, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 22 2009, 06:33 PM)
diner food.

'atta boy trink39.gif

where is there a denny's in ny? i don't see them anymore unless i go out west.

I don't know if there are any near the city or on LI, but I've been upstate a few times and there were a couple Denny's up there.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 12 2008, 09:43 PM)
For me, the same thing works EVERY time (and Ive been at this a while). For me, the way to avoid it is to not let it start. No matter how bombed I am, I drink as much water as I can stand, even a little past where I think Im not thirsty anymore and take 2-3 Advil BEFORE I pass out. It ALWAYS works!

This is what works for me too.

Back in 1983, I came into work really hung over. I had had beer, Jim Beam, and Sangria the night before and I was just miserable. I was working in a warehouse at the time and my boss and everyone could tell I was feeling bad. My boss asked me if I was really serious about getting rid of my hangover. I said yes and he told me to go to the back room where there was lots of heavy equipment and told me to clear it out, sweep it, and put everything back in neatly and I had two hours to do it. So I manned up and got to it and by about 9:30 am I felt fine. When I thanked my boss he said that hard work or exercise was a great hangover cure.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 30 2009, 09:56 PM)
Back in 1983, I came into work really hung over. I had had beer, Jim Beam, and Sangria the night before and I was just miserable. I was working in a warehouse at the time and my boss and everyone could tell I was feeling bad. My boss asked me if I was really serious about getting rid of my hangover. I said yes and he told me to go to the back room where there was lots of heavy equipment and told me to clear it out, sweep it, and put everything back in neatly and I had two hours to do it. So I manned up and got to it and by about 9:30 am I felt fine. When I thanked my boss he said that hard work or exercise was a great hangover cure.

May have worked in 83 Jack, I wouldn't recommend it in 2009. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 14 2009, 11:49 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 30 2009, 09:56 PM)

May have worked in 83 Jack, I wouldn't recommend it in 2009. biggrin.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I've sweated out a few hangovers. It does work.

I have found the best cure is to be in good shape physically. The better the shape your in, the faster that hangover will go away.

The bottom line is workout and take good care of yourself and you will be able to absorb that wild night of drinking much easier. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 12 2008, 10:43 PM)
For me, the same thing works EVERY time (and Ive been at this a while). For me, the way to avoid it is to not let it start. No matter how bombed I am, I drink as much water as I can stand, even a little past where I think Im not thirsty anymore and take 2-3 Advil BEFORE I pass out. It ALWAYS works!

yes.gif - and the next morning, eat a good, solid bacon/eggs type of breakfast. You may not want it at first, but it helps.