ANNOUNCING THE FABULOUS TTP CHRISTMAS CONTEST!

Jack Aubrey

A few weeks ago I was contacted by our own workingcinderellaman, Mr. Grant Brough, telling me that if I ever wanted to host another contest, he'd donate a signed copy of his opus The Red Barchetta. I, of course, thanked him for his generosity and told him that it wouldn't be necessary. Nooooooo, I'm kidding! laugh.gif I said "cool! Let's do it!" So we "noodled" (as the kids say nowadays) it for a while and decided that since he had written a novel based on a Rush song, which was based on a short story, why not ask all of you to base a short story on a Rush song and submit it?

So that's what we're asking you to do. You have until January 5th to write your story and submit it. It can be as long or as short as you like. There's no need to PM it to Grant or myself, just go ahead and post it in this thread.

OK, first prize is (of course) a signed copy of Mr. Brough's book.

Second prize are the Rush bobblehead pins sold on the last tour, a copy of the Vapor Trails tourbook, and a collection of four Rush pins/badges (whatever you call them) one is "Rush" in the typeface from 2112, another is the Fly By Night owl, and the other two are different parts of the Grace Under Pressure cover.

Third prize are 4 magazines: the August '08 issue of Classic Rock magazine with a huge article on Rush, the September '07 issue of Guitar Player featuring an interview with Alex, the Guitar Legends special issue dedicated to Rush, and the Modern Drummer Drum Gods special issue which profiles Neil and a white Trans-Siberian Orchestra guitar pick with the band's logo on one side and a copy of one of the bass player's (Chris Altenhoff) signature.

Everyone who enters, regardless of whether or not they qualify for any of the prizes, will receive a free lifetime membership to the web's premiere Rush discussion board, The Rush Forum!

The way I see it, you can't afford not to enter!

Thank you and good luck, now go get busy writing!

Please post in this thread if you plan on participating.

Edit: I almost forgot. I owe a thank you to Janie because it was she who suggested a short story contest the last time we discussed having one. So thanks, Janie!

Edit number two: Disclaimer, this contest is not to be considered an "official" TRF event, but a personal contest devised by Grant Brough and myself.

Yet another edit: New prizes added! See above!

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Dec 18 2008, 06:13 PM)
Short Story based on a rush song?

Winterbreak is coming up for me, and all i'm doing is healing my wrist bassically, so.... cool.gif I think i found something to do.

Already kicking around the idea of about... oh

15 songs to try, let the selection process go!

Outstanding! Two yes's and a maybe!

C'mon all you others, get in on this thing and make it a real contest!

By the way, the deadline is negotiable. If you folks think you might need more time, say so and we'll accomodate you as long as it's reasonable.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 10 2008, 03:16 PM)
A few weeks ago I was contacted by our own workingcinderellaman, Mr. Grant Brough, telling me that if I ever wanted to host another contest, he'd donate a signed copy of his opus The Red Barchetta. I, of course, thanked him for his generosity and told him that it wouldn't be necessary. Nooooooo, I'm kidding! laugh.gif I said "cool! Let's do it!" So we "noodled" (as the kids say nowadays) it for a while and decided that since he had written a novel based on a Rush song, which was based on a short story, why not ask all of you to base a short story on a Rush song and submit it?

So that's what we're asking you to do. You have until January 5th to write your story and submit it. It can be as long or as short as you like. There's no need to PM it to Grant or myself, just go ahead and post it in this thread.

OK, first prize is (of course) a signed copy of Mr. Brough's book.

Second prize are the Rush bobblehead pins sold on the last tour, a copy of the Vapor Trails tourbook, and a collection of four Rush pins/badges (whatever you call them) one is "Rush" in the typeface from 2112, another is the Fly By Night owl, and the other two are different parts of the Grace Under Pressure cover.

Third prize are 4 magazines: the August '08 issue of Classic Rock magazine with a huge article on Rush, the September '07 issue of Guitar Player featuring an interview with Alex, the Guitar Legends special issue dedicated to Rush, and the Modern Drummer Drum Gods special issue which profiles Neil and a white Trans-Siberian Orchestra guitar pick with the band's logo on one side and a copy of one of the bass player's (Chris Altenhoff) signature.

Everyone who enters, regardless of whether or not they qualify for any of the prizes, will receive a free lifetime membership to the web's premiere Rush discussion board, The Rush Forum!

The way I see it, you can't afford not to enter!

Thank you and good luck, now go get busy writing!

Please post in this thread if you plan on participating.

Edit: I almost forgot. I owe a thank you to Janie because it was she who suggested a short story contest the last time we discussed having one. So thanks, Janie!

Edit number two: Disclaimer, this contest is not to be considered an "official" TRF event, but a personal contest devised by Grant Brough and myself.

Yet another edit: New prizes added! See above!

Im going to try and make time to participate in this. Sounds FUN!

Man...I wish I'd seen this earlier, and it wasn't during the busy holiday season...I'll try anyway.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Dec 29 2008, 03:52 PM)
How's it coming along everyone?

I haven't been working on mine, as i've been busy playing Diablo 2. But mine will be done, as i have the idea's and nothing but free time.

I've got about three quarters of the story written, but I haven't been trying to make it pretty and haven't touched it in several days. I'm just getting my ideas down before I pretty it up.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jan 6 2009, 01:10 AM)
Gah, If i can Jack and others, i need one more day to do this.

Give me til tommorow at midnight and i promise it will be done. Two urgent things came up tonight that prevented me from putting the last paragraph on it.

OK, extension granted. I said earlier that the deadline was negotiable, so this is no big problem.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 6 2009, 03:51 AM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jan 6 2009, 01:10 AM)
Gah, If i can Jack and others, i need one more day to do this.

Give me til tommorow at midnight and i promise it will be done. Two urgent things came up tonight that prevented me from putting the last paragraph on it.

OK, extension granted. I said earlier that the deadline was negotiable, so this is no big problem.

biggrin.gif Thanks Jack.

I promise it will be in tonight, before midnight.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 10 2008, 12:16 PM)

How is it that I'm just now seeing this!? And the contest is over!!! I had no idea! Oh man... I'm sad. I would have participated in this. Well, good luck to all who submitted a story. I can't wait to read the other posts in this thread! smile.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jan 6 2009, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 10 2008, 12:16 PM)
A few weeks ago I was contacted by our own workingcinderellaman, Mr. Grant Brough, telling me that if I ever wanted to host another contest, he'd donate a signed copy of his opus The Red Barchetta. I, of course, thanked him for his generosity and told him that it wouldn't be necessary. Nooooooo, I'm kidding!  laugh.gif I said "cool! Let's do it!" So we "noodled" (as the kids say nowadays) it for a while and decided that since he had written a novel based on a Rush song, which was based on a short story, why not ask all of you to base a short story on a Rush song and submit it?

How is it that I'm just now seeing this!? And the contest is over!!! I had no idea! Oh man... I'm sad. I would have participated in this. Well, good luck to all who submitted a story. I can't wait to read the other posts in this thread! smile.gif

I'm currently conferring with my colleague (I love alliteration laugh.gif ) about extending the deadline since we only have two participants and three prizes.

It has come to our attention that some have only recently heard about this contest so Jack and I have decided to extend the deadline of this contest for another week. I really liked reading the entry from Territorial Game and I think it would be fun to read some others. So post away, the new deadline will be 1/15/09.