Simon Phillips

Earthshine

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 19 2009, 07:41 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 19 2009, 03:54 AM)
I don't know where you get this doped-up Lukather thing from or why you keep mentioning it. Lukather is too busy to get wasted, have you seen his studio credits? He's probably been the most sought-after studio guitarist in history. Are you sure it wasn't you who was out of it?

No, it was not me who was out of it when I saw him. I barely drink as it is.

He was definitely out of it and was swearing onstage. Somebody I know who saw them in another town a few nights earlier said the same had happened there. Said he was drunk. I don't know what he was on when I saw him. But he definitely did not seem right. I was shocked. ohmy.gif

Just because someone has played on thousands of albums does not mean they don't (or didn't) have a substance abuse problem. I was at a Steve Gadd clinic when he openly admitted to have had a substance abuse problem.

And how many albums has he been on? Jeff Porcaro's own Dad told me they knew Jeff had a cocaine problem.

Luke is great. Wonderful player. Toto was great. Wish they had stayed together and done many more albums. May he rock on safely. common001.gif

Well you saw him, or think you saw him one time, that's not much to go on is it? You could meet me in person and I could be drunk out of my mind, would that mean you'd think of me as a hopeless alcoholic from then on, even though I'm not?

I've heard countless tales of Lukather playing onstage with everyone from Stevie Ray Vaughan to Steve Vai and I've never heard of him being out of it. In fact I've never heard anything like this from anywhere. Check on the web and see if you can find other stories that back up your claims.

And you seemed to be asking if he was alright, so with the website updates and the studio credits I think I answered your question. If he was out of his head all the time I doubt George Benson would have him producing his new music.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know much about Lukather's private life, but I have to think treeduck's assessments of him are accurate. The guy is a monster player AND is in such heavy demand that he couldn't possibly be a career drunk. If he was, he'd be like Eddie Van Halen -- barely able to function within the confines of ONE band, and often self-destructing.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 19 2009, 03:36 PM)
I don't know much about Lukather's private life, but I have to think treeduck's assessments of him are accurate. The guy is a monster player AND is in such heavy demand that he couldn't possibly be a career drunk. If he was, he'd be like Eddie Van Halen -- barely able to function within the confines of ONE band, and often self-destructing.

funny thing is, he is great friends with eddie . ed just takes it a little further then him laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 21 2009, 01:21 PM)

funny thing is, he is great friends with eddie . ed just takes it a little further then him laugh.gif

I mentioned earlier in the thread I know the Toto guys personally. Lukather can definitely knock a few back and still manage to shred like no one else. I don't know how he does it.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 21 2009, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 21 2009, 01:21 PM)

I mentioned earlier in the thread I know the Toto guys personally. Lukather can definitely knock a few back and still manage to shred like no one else. I don't know how he does it.

Thank you! trink39.gif Luke played awesome the night I saw him and the night my friend. But on both occasions he most probably had knocked a few back! trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 19 2009, 06:34 PM)
QUOTE (Shifty @ Jan 17 2009, 05:13 AM)
Here's Simon in fine form with Toto.  Hydra was always a fav song of mine so hearing him solo over the top of a vamp from that song has always made me very happy. 

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=keOylXMoZ2k

Thanks! smile.gif The only time I saw Simon was with Toto. I remember they played some very serious fusion tune, which may have been one of Simon's. I think he did a drum solo on that one and maybe on Hydra also. Do you know what that fusion tune may have been? I think it was in 7. Anyway, Simon was awesome live. Doesn't seem like he has toured in a while though or been doing many live gigs.

Shame about Toto. I wonder if Luke is okay? WHen I saw Toto in 1999, he was really out of it. I was embarassed for Simon and the other guys.

The song was probably 'Jake to the Bone'. Awesome instrumental from Kingdom of Desire. That was one of the last albums Jeff Porcaro played on. I've got some great bootlegs of that song with Simon and Lukather carving it up. I'm sure there's some versions on Youtube if you look around. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Shifty @ Jan 22 2009, 07:52 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 19 2009, 06:34 PM)
QUOTE (Shifty @ Jan 17 2009, 05:13 AM)
Here's Simon in fine form with Toto.  Hydra was always a fav song of mine so hearing him solo over the top of a vamp from that song has always made me very happy. 

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=keOylXMoZ2k

Thanks! smile.gif The only time I saw Simon was with Toto. I remember they played some very serious fusion tune, which may have been one of Simon's. I think he did a drum solo on that one and maybe on Hydra also. Do you know what that fusion tune may have been? I think it was in 7. Anyway, Simon was awesome live. Doesn't seem like he has toured in a while though or been doing many live gigs.

Shame about Toto. I wonder if Luke is okay? WHen I saw Toto in 1999, he was really out of it. I was embarassed for Simon and the other guys.

The song was probably 'Jake to the Bone'. Awesome instrumental from Kingdom of Desire. That was one of the last albums Jeff Porcaro played on. I've got some great bootlegs of that song with Simon and Lukather carving it up. I'm sure there's some versions on Youtube if you look around. trink39.gif

Yeah, that is it!

Here is Simon playing it in Yokohama in 1999:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igLb5C7wW7E

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 19 2009, 02:36 PM)

Lukather is awesome, no question...........very underrated.

Archived