Any Recommendations?

alphseeker

QUOTE (Anthemic @ Oct 25 2008, 01:15 PM)
try anne mccafferty The Dragon Riders of Pern series and maybe the new george rr martin series Ice and Fire.

Ironically that is the only other series i have read - They were great - Should have mentioned that one in my initial post -

Edited by alphseeker

With Jordan's demise, I believe that George R R Martin is by far the best thing in fantasy right now. Have a look at the Song of Ice and Fire series.

Terry Brooks Sword of Shannara (sp?) is good, and begins a long series.

Another classic is Ursula LeGuin's Wizard of Earthsea series. Short, but good.

Also Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster of Hed series is an old favorite of mine.

Well i decided to read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan - I know he died befre he finished and that the last 2 or 3 books were not too good but the first book Eye of the world is very good - i'll read the series until i don't enjoy it anymore -

Thanks for suggesitons - Keep them coming - It's funny how i came full circle with reading when i was a teenager i used to read a lot of Fantasy and Scince fiction but then stopped reading for years - when i picked it up again it was all tom clancy then dan brown but now it's back to fantasy again -

I know this isn't exactly what you mean but I've started reading Dies the Fire which is the first book of The Change series. It takes place in 1998 and "The Change" happens- a flash of bright white light that makes electricity, steam engines, and gunpowder stop working globally. Planes drop out of the sky and explode, causing cities to burn uncontrollably because there's no decent way to battle the infernos now. Sounds bad, right? It's actually amazing just how devastating the consequences are- and the whole world gets plunged kicking and screaming into starvation, plague, bandits, cannibals, crazies, and the next medievial Dark Age. Improvised spears, bows and swords are the new weapon of choice and wealth is measured in medicine and food.

I like it a lot so far, maybe you will too.

Edited by Del_Duio

I don't really read much fantasy, at least not anymore... but I noticed you mentioned sci fi a couple of posts back. If you want some of that, check out Philip K. Dick if you haven't already.

Best thing to start with would probably be tracking down the "four novels of the 1960's" compilation... it contains "The Man in the High Castle", "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich", "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (the basis for Blade Runner)", and "Ubik".

Also, actually... for fantasy, you might dig the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. It's pretty ridiculous.

Anyone got a suggestion for a good character-driven novel, which might be comparable to something seen on the Sundance or Independent Film Channel? Ya know what I'm saying there, kiddo? A character driven story, as opposed to something more plot-based. I already have and idea of what I'm tackling next, but would sure appreciate some insight into what else might be out there.

Josh Emmons' most recent title, Prescription for a Superior Existence. That's what I'm thinking about. I read his Loss of Leon Meed, and that was uniqe, to say the least. I just finished a book set in India, and written from the perspective of a lower-class Indian servant, a driver for a rich family. That one was called, White Tiger. Good stuff from Aravind Adiga.

I wanted to read the most recent, Chuck Palahniuk novel. That was a terrible mistake. 'Snuff' was perveted, demented in every way possible. And, not very entertaining...at all. I think you might do well with Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. Or, Indignation by Philip Roth. Anyway, good luck...and please inform.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 15 2009, 10:38 PM)
Can't nobody recommend me nothin' here?

Well...since this thread is fantasy-based, I would recommend the following as being more character-based than the usual hack and slash.

- the 2 trilogies I've read by Robin Hobb (Tawny Man and....Assassin?)

- the Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham (starts with "A Shadow in Summer") (4th book isn't out yet)

- the Sundering series (2 books) by Jacqueline Carey

Although it sounds like you're not looking for fantasy.

-TR

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 15 2009, 10:38 PM)
Can't nobody recommend me nothin' here?

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series.

I'm currently reading the Prince of Nothing trilogy by R. Scott Bakker

I'm about halfway through the 2nd book and it is great! It's a very adult story, though, so don't expect happy unicorns and dancing gnomes smile.gif

A series of "fantasy" books?

I recommend the "Borribles Trilogy" by Michael DeLarrabeiti. The first book, "The Borribles," anyway.

Yesterday, I grabbed two titles whilst heading out of the local lib. I grabbed me Oxygen by Carol Cassella and A Good And Happy Child by Justin Evans...But, both of 'em might not pass my scrutiny test of the first few pages. In the past, I'd spend ample time reading the summaries on a bunch of binders to finger out which one I wanted to read. Not no more though. I just go the superficial route and pick out books based on how appealing their jackets are to my eyes. Isn't this precisely what your moms warned you against doing? Not judging a book by its cover. But, I've found that you can get a decent grasp of what kinda tale you'll be getting by appraising the font and images on the cover.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 22 2009, 02:04 PM)
Yesterday, I grabbed two titles whilst heading out of the local lib. I grabbed me Oxygen by Carol Cassella and A Good And Happy Child by Justin Evans...But, both of 'em might not pass my scrutiny test of the first few pages. In the past, I'd spend ample time reading the summaries on a bunch of binders to finger out which one I wanted to read. Not no more though. I just go the superficial route and pick out books based on how appealing their jackets are to my eyes. Isn't this precisely what your moms warned you against doing? Not judging a book by its cover. But, I've found that you can get a decent grasp of what kinda tale you'll be getting by appraising the font and images on the cover.

"You can't judge a book by its cover" is bullshit, anyway. Take it from somebody who's worked in bookstores for several years.

Does this belong in the "Gardening" section?

http://www.copyblogger.com/images/romance-novel.jpg

Of course not. You know from the cover exactly what it's all about. laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 22 2009, 03:34 PM)
Yesterday, I grabbed two titles whilst heading out of the local lib.  I grabbed me Oxygen by Carol Cassella and A Good And Happy Child by Justin Evans...But, both of 'em might not pass my scrutiny test of the first few pages.  In the past, I'd spend ample time reading the summaries on a bunch of binders to finger out which one I wanted to read.  Not no more though.  I just go the superficial route and pick out books based on how appealing their jackets are to my eyes.  Isn't this precisely what your moms warned you against doing?  Not judging a book by its cover.  But, I've found that you can get a decent grasp of what kinda tale you'll be getting by appraising the font and images on the cover.

"You can't judge a book by its cover" is bullshit, anyway. Take it from somebody who's worked in bookstores for several years.

Is that Fabio on the front?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 22 2009, 08:34 PM)
Yesterday, I grabbed two titles whilst heading out of the local lib.  I grabbed me Oxygen by Carol Cassella and A Good And Happy Child by Justin Evans...But, both of 'em might not pass my scrutiny test of the first few pages.  In the past, I'd spend ample time reading the summaries on a bunch of binders to finger out which one I wanted to read.  Not no more though.  I just go the superficial route and pick out books based on how appealing their jackets are to my eyes.  Isn't this precisely what your moms warned you against doing?  Not judging a book by its cover.  But, I've found that you can get a decent grasp of what kinda tale you'll be getting by appraising the font and images on the cover.

Well, some books you can judge by the cover, but not all depict what the story is. wink.gif

So the phrase can apply to some but not others. (just like people if you think about it, haha tongue.gif )

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 14 2009, 02:37 AM)
Anyone got a suggestion for a good character-driven novel, which might be comparable to something seen on the Sundance or Independent Film Channel? Ya know what I'm saying there, kiddo? A character driven story, as opposed to something more plot-based. I already have and idea of what I'm tackling next, but would sure appreciate some insight into what else might be out there.

Josh Emmons' most recent title, Prescription for a Superior Existence. That's what I'm thinking about. I read his Loss of Leon Meed, and that was uniqe, to say the least. I just finished a book set in India, and written from the perspective of a lower-class Indian servant, a driver for a rich family. That one was called, White Tiger. Good stuff from Aravind Adiga.

I wanted to read the most recent, Chuck Palahniuk novel. That was a terrible mistake. 'Snuff' was perveted, demented in every way possible. And, not very entertaining...at all. I think you might do well with Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. Or, Indignation by Philip Roth. Anyway, good luck...and please inform.

After re-reading your above post, I think you might enjoy Neil Gaiman's American Gods. <- That's a link, click it to preview the book.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 25 2009, 11:42 AM)
Anyone got a suggestion for a good character-driven novel,  which might be comparable to something seen on the Sundance or Independent Film Channel?  Ya know what I'm saying there, kiddo?  A character driven story, as opposed to something more plot-based.  I already have and idea of what I'm tackling next, but would sure appreciate some insight into what else might be out there. 

Josh Emmons' most recent title, Prescription for a Superior Existence.  That's what I'm thinking about.  I read his Loss of Leon Meed, and that was uniqe, to say the least.  I just finished a book set in India, and written from the perspective of a lower-class Indian servant, a driver for a rich family.  That one was called, White Tiger.  Good stuff from Aravind Adiga. 

I wanted to read the most recent, Chuck Palahniuk novel.  That was a terrible mistake.  'Snuff' was perveted, demented in every way possible.  And, not very entertaining...at all.  I think you might do well with Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. Or, Indignation by Philip Roth.  Anyway, good luck...and please inform.

After re-reading your above post, I think you might enjoy Neil Gaiman's American Gods. <- That's a link, click it to preview the book.

Thanks for the heads up, mate. Is it that you're familiar with those authors, or just genre that I'm describing? I began developing a taste for a specific type of novel, and the best I can describe it is that these books are along the lines of an IFC or Sundance Channel movie. They're usually all character-driven fare which needs no significant backstory, and warrants no sequel. No mysteries, or fantasy or horror/thrillers. These are the last fifty titles I knocked off. The reason I know what they are is because back when I was reading a lot of King and Koontz, I kept on taking out the same titles from the library, not realizing that I had already read them. Keeping track of everything cuts down on that. lol.

Daniel Hayes - Tearjerker

Martin Page - How I Became Stupid

Josh Emmons - The Loss of Leon Mead

Seth Greenland - The Bones

Martin Jude Poirer - Modern Ranch Living

A.L. Kennedy - Paradise

Peter Craig - Blood Father

Scott Wolven - Controlled Burn

Percival Everett - Damned If I Do

Kevin Canty - Winslow in Love

Stephen Schwandt - Siren Song

Chris Elliott - The Shroud of the Thwacker

Jakob Arjouni - Idiots

Steve Martin - Shopgirl

Tessa Hadley - Accidents in the Home

John Mortimer - Quite Honestly

Ken Kalfus - A Disorder Peculiar to the Country

Andrew Trees - Academy X

Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident

Benjamin Kunkel - Indecision

Jonathan Safran Foer - Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Brendan Halpin - Long Way Back

Max Barry - Company

David Liss - Ethical Assassin

NNNNN - Carl Reiner

Yanick Murphy - Here They Come

Jeff Lindsay - Dearly Devoted Dexter

Andrew Holleran - Grief

Robert Hellenga - Philosophy Made Simple

Tom Perrota - Joe College

Jhumpa Lahiri - Interpreter of Maladies

T.C. Boyle - Talk, Talk

Walter Mosley - Fortunate Son

Clare Naylor - The First Assistant

Jeremy Blachman - Anonymous Lawyer

Scott Smith - The Ruins

Kelly Kerney - Born Again

Adam Davies - Goodbye Lemon

Rachel Cusk - Arlington Park

Richard Adams - Watership Down

Joshua Ferris - Then We Came To The End

Anya Ulinich - Petropolis

Robert Ward - Four Kinds Of Rain

David Hollander - L.I.E.

Matthew Klein - Con Ed

Clyde Edgerton - The Bible Salesman

Aravind Adiga - The White Tiger

Richard Murphy - Confessions of a Contractor

Edited by naturalsciences101

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 26 2009, 08:29 PM)
Anyone got a suggestion for a good character-driven novel,  which might be comparable to something seen on the Sundance or Independent Film Channel?  Ya know what I'm saying there, kiddo?  A character driven story, as opposed to something more plot-based.  I already have and idea of what I'm tackling next, but would sure appreciate some insight into what else might be out there. 

Josh Emmons' most recent title, Prescription for a Superior Existence.  That's what I'm thinking about.  I read his Loss of Leon Meed, and that was uniqe, to say the least.  I just finished a book set in India, and written from the perspective of a lower-class Indian servant, a driver for a rich family.  That one was called, White Tiger.  Good stuff from Aravind Adiga. 

I wanted to read the most recent, Chuck Palahniuk novel.  That was a terrible mistake.  'Snuff' was perveted, demented in every way possible.  And, not very entertaining...at all.  I think you might do well with Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. Or, Indignation by Philip Roth.  Anyway, good luck...and please inform.

Thanks for the heads up, mate. Is it that you're familiar with those authors, or just genre that I'm describing? I began developing a taste for a specific type of novel, and the best I can describe it is that these books are along the lines of an IFC or Sundance Channel movie. They're usually all character-driven fare which needs no significant backstory, and warrants no sequel. No mysteries, or fantasy or horror/thrillers. These are the last fifty titles I knocked off. The reason I know what they are is because back when I was reading a lot of King and Koontz, I kept on taking out the same titles from the library, not realizing that I had already read them. Keeping track of everything cuts down on that. lol.

A.L. Kennedy - Paradise

Jakob Arjouni - Idiots

Steve Martin - Shopgirl

Andrew Trees - Academy X

Max Barry - Company

NNNNN - Carl Reiner

Andrew Holleran - Grief

T.C. Boyle - Talk, Talk

Scott Smith - The Ruins

David Hollander - L.I.E.

Matthew Klein - Con Ed

Sorry, I don't read a lot of the genre, I thought you'd like AG because it's character driven, different, and a heck of a good story.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 26 2009, 08:29 PM)

A.L. Kennedy - Paradise

Jakob Arjouni - Idiots

Steve Martin - Shopgirl

Andrew Trees - Academy X

Max Barry - Company

NNNNN - Carl Reiner

Andrew Holleran - Grief

T.C. Boyle - Talk, Talk

Scott Smith - The Ruins

David Hollander - L.I.E.

Matthew Klein - Con Ed

Even with this grocery list, I only have a faint inkling of what you're after. I haven't heard of most of these.

I can definitely recommend two of those authors, T.C. Boyle and Tom Perotta. The Perotta I've read includes "Bad Haircut," "Election" (basis of the movie), and "Little Children" (also a movie). The only Boyle I've read is a complete collection of his short stories that I have, "T.C. Boyle Stories," and I've only read a dozen of them. And if you liked the Ken Kalfus book, he's got a great collection of short stories called "Thirst."

If it's character-driven contemporary fiction you're after (that's the impression I'm getting), I really loved "House of Sand and Fog." I've read a lot of the genre, but I'm flaking on other titles right now. Or maybe you'd like two of my favorite authors - John Irving and Anne Tyler. Both write contemporary fiction with domestic conflicts and very quirky characters.

Edited by GeddyRulz