08-09 NBA Thread

workingcinderellaman

Which teams are going to surprise and which are going to bomb? (cough-"Lakers")

Easter Conference,

Boston

Detroit

Magic

The Cavs

Maybe Wahington

Western Conference,

Lakers

Hornets

Spurs

Jazz

I think the NBA champion will come out of one of these teams. Are there any other teams that should be on the list?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're pretty spot on with the East, but the West is so stacked limiting it to four teams is almost unfair on the other good ones.

I would never count out Dallas or Phoenix. If those teams both click they'll be right up there with the other four teams listed. Clippers look a very good team on paper aswell. If TMac, Artest and Yao work together well the Rockets can't be counted out. Golden State, Denver and Portland look pretty handy aswell, so that's 11 teams in contention! The only teams from the West that aren't going to be doing much are Oklahoma, Sacramento and Memphis. Minnesota could be handy.

Oh, I forgot aswell, the Sixers could do alot of damage this year. If they keep up their form from the end of last season, they could push Boston this year.

My Predictions;

EAST

Celtics

Cavs

Magic

Sixers

Pistons

Raptors

Wizards

Hawks

Bulls

Nets

Bobcats

Bucks

Heat

Pacers

Knicks

WEST

Hornets

Lakers

Jazz

Spurs

Clippers

Rockets

Mavs

Suns

Blazers

Nuggets

Warriors

Timberwolves

Grizzlies

Kings

Thunder

In the west though, 5 - 12 could be anywhere at season's end.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Oct 13 2008, 10:57 AM)
You're pretty spot on with the East, but the West is so stacked limiting it to four teams is almost unfair on the other good ones.

I would never count out Dallas or Phoenix. If those teams both click they'll be right up there with the other four teams listed. Clippers look a very good team on paper aswell. If TMac, Artest and Yao work together well the Rockets can't be counted out. Golden State, Denver and Portland look pretty handy aswell, so that's 11 teams in contention! The only teams from the West that aren't going to be doing much are Oklahoma, Sacramento and Memphis. Minnesota could be handy.

Oh, I forgot aswell, the Sixers could do alot of damage this year. If they keep up their form from the end of last season, they could push Boston this year.

My Predictions;

EAST
Celtics
Cavs
Magic
Sixers
Pistons
Raptors
Wizards
Hawks
Bulls
Nets
Bobcats
Bucks
Heat
Pacers
Knicks

WEST
Hornets
Lakers
Jazz
Spurs
Clippers
Rockets
Mavs
Suns
Blazers
Nuggets
Warriors
Timberwolves
Grizzlies
Kings
Thunder

Pretty good

The Hornets may have a better regular season than the Lakers, but LA will be a better playoff team, especially with Bynum back. As nauseating as it is for me to say it, if I had to put money down right now for the championship, I'd take LA over Boston in 7. Look out for the Rockets if they stay healthy. Adding Ron Artest to the mix is going to make them a serious threat. Also, the Jazz are a great team, but in a 7-game serious would not finish ahead of SA or Houston. The Clips will not succeed if they make the playoffs. Portland is not a factor, and even less important until Oden gets back from the unfortunate (but hilarious) injury from opening night. With Oden, they're a good team, but a first round elim if they make the playoffs. Minnesota is in for another rough year- if they break the 40-win mark, I'll be very shocked.

As far as the East goes, who cares? Boston comes out on top barring injuries. Mo Williams is a hell of an addition to the Cavs, but not enough to overcome Boston's power. I was really impressed with the way Leon Powe stepped up the other night, and I think he's going to do just fine to soften the loss of James Posey. Toronto, Detroit, and Philly are going to be good East teams, but that's still the East.

EDIT: GO SPURS GO!

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Oct 13 2008, 11:57 AM)

My Predictions;

EAST
Celtics
Cavs
Magic
Sixers
Pistons
Raptors
Wizards
Hawks
Bulls
Nets
Bobcats
Bucks
Heat
Pacers
Knicks

WEST
Hornets
Lakers
Jazz
Spurs
Clippers
Rockets
Mavs
Suns
Blazers
Nuggets
Warriors
Timberwolves
Grizzlies
Kings
Thunder

The Clippers won't finish 5th..........

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Oct 31 2008, 03:55 AM)
Like I said, the teams I put in 5-12 could finish anywhere. Suns and Mavs won't get any higher, and Houston will have some kind of drama between Artest and T-Mac sometime in the season.

I predict the Suns will maybe be 5th or 6th...........but then again I'm a fan.........

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Nov 4 2008, 06:20 PM)
Billups, McDyess and Cheikh Samb to Denver for AI.

Pistons.com say this is win-win, but I think Detroit may just suffer.

I think Denver comes out better on this one........

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 5 2008, 01:32 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Nov 4 2008, 06:20 PM)
Billups, McDyess and Cheikh Samb to Denver for AI.

Pistons.com say this is win-win, but I think Detroit may just suffer.

I think Denver comes out better on this one........

Definitely. Denver probably becomes a contender in the west now. Not for a title, but to get into the playoffs. That gives them a solid rotation, and I'd rather see JR SMith get more playing time and Melo evolve into the superstar he is.

Not really sure what Detroit was playing at. Sure, AI's a fantastic player, but he could disrupt the chemistry, or could fit like a glove. Who'd have thought it though, a running Pistons team laugh.gif

i wanna say GO SIXER'S , but i am kidding myself

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Nov 5 2008, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 5 2008, 06:32 PM)
How about San Antonio.......I know it's early, but WINLESS so far......WTF!

PS-that's good.

Apparently they're the worst defensive team in the league! That is weird.

Just let us get our flow. Pop is a damn good coach, we've got a handful of guys who have been playing together for a good while, and some serious talent. I'm not going to kid myself and say this a championship year, but we're always a damn scary team.

Go Spurs Go

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Nov 6 2008, 12:59 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Nov 5 2008, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 5 2008, 06:32 PM)
How about San Antonio.......I know it's early, but WINLESS so far......WTF!

PS-that's good.

Apparently they're the worst defensive team in the league! That is weird.

Just let us get our flow. Pop is a damn good coach, we've got a handful of guys who have been playing together for a good while, and some serious talent. I'm not going to kid myself and say this a championship year, but we're always a damn scary team.

Go Spurs Go

Since when have the spurs needed time to get their flow?! Could be a championship year, it is an odd year wink.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Nov 6 2008, 06:00 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 5 2008, 07:43 PM)
i wanna say  GO SIXER'S , but i am kidding myself

This years Sixers could go far in the playoffs if they play well together.

yeah , if they play together . one selfish person is all it takes

LeBron and The Cavs were dominating against the world champ Celtics last night,98-83.. 19-0 at home. Right now.. There the best team in NBA, total team effort great defense night after night. It's great to see King James able to take a breather on the bench knowing his team mates can keep up the pace. Cleveland is going to be a monster to deal with in playoffs this year. yes.gif smile.gif

Bump because this thread shouldn't get to the fourth page of the forum.

My Blazers are looking pretty good. I'm not expecting them to get out of the first or (if we're lucky) second round, but them making the playoffs at all after the last 5 years, I'll take it.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Mar 26 2009, 02:30 AM)
Bump because this thread shouldn't get to the fourth page of the forum.

My Blazers are looking pretty good. I'm not expecting them to get out of the first or (if we're lucky) second round, but them making the playoffs at all after the last 5 years, I'll take it.

They haven't clinched a playoff spot just yet.........I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Portland drops out of playoff contention. Phoenix is very hungry and will likely grab the 8th spot, while Dallas will likely grab the 7th position. If it wasn't for that asshole Terry Porter that f*cked up the whole first half of Phoenix's season, they'd be in the 4th or 5th spot.

Portand VS Phoenix tonight........ cool.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Mar 27 2009, 12:45 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Mar 26 2009, 05:27 PM)

Yuppppppppppp and we won by 20. Magic number is 6 now.

We are missing Amare big time.......and Barbosa off the bench........ wacko.gif

Brandon Roy is the shit.......what an awesome player......

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Mar 27 2009, 04:11 PM)

Brandon Roy is the shit.......what an awesome player......

Absolutely love Roy. He's the ideal guy to lead a team because he's talented enough that he can score 30+ points a night if he has to when the other guys aren't stepping it up, but he isn't a Kobe/Vince/AI type of player who has to score that much every night, and most of the time he scores in the low to mid 20s because he has the ability to give other players the ball. I'm looking forward to next season when Martell Webster's foot is healthy again. Our second unit next year is going to be Bayless/Fernandez/Batum/Outlaw/Przybilla. That's as good as most teams' starting five.

Archived