NHL

Brock2112

QUOTE (theanalogkid @ Sep 22 2008, 03:44 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 22 2008, 09:30 AM)
I love hockey but the season is too long.  70 game season is perfect.

Phoney!

OPnly someone who hates hockey would say that! dazed025.gif wink.gif

I'm a hockey *maniac* and I agree 100 percent with that.

In a sport as grueling as hockey, I don't think teams should ever have to play two nights in a row.... two nights in two different cities is even worse and back-to-back nights in the *playoffs* makes my blood boil.

I'd love to see them knock a dozen games of the schedule personally, and would help with attendance in a lot of markets too.

Anyway - GO SENS! Gonna be an awesome season for us I can feel it!

1022.gif

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Sep 22 2008, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (theanalogkid @ Sep 22 2008, 03:44 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 22 2008, 09:30 AM)
I love hockey but the season is too long.  70 game season is perfect.

Phoney!

OPnly someone who hates hockey would say that! dazed025.gif wink.gif

I'm a hockey *maniac* and I agree 100 percent with that.

In a sport as grueling as hockey, I don't think teams should ever have to play two nights in a row.... two nights in two different cities is even worse and back-to-back nights in the *playoffs* makes my blood boil.

I'd love to see them knock a dozen games of the schedule personally, and would help with attendance in a lot of markets too.

Anyway - GO SENS! Gonna be an awesome season for us I can feel it!

1022.gif

Not awesome enough to win the Cup, if that's what you were thinking. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Sep 22 2008, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (pt2112 @ Sep 22 2008, 04:16 PM)
Not awesome enough to win the Cup, if that's what you were thinking.  laugh.gif

Get the jabs in while you can brother! The puck drops for your team tonight and you might find yourself fresh out of ammo pretty soon.

trink39.gif

I actually expect them to lose tonight. But we'll see when the actual season starts. Maybe Toskala can steal every game.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 22 2008, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Sep 22 2008, 09:51 PM)
I was falling asleep watching the canucks oilers preseason game.

Damn.......I was trying to find that game, and couldn't............

Shootout was as stupid as ever.

However, the 5 minutes i watched, souray for the oilers looks great this year!

he really does.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 19 2008, 05:24 PM)
QUOTE (River Alph @ Sep 17 2008, 09:21 AM)
QUOTE (Brock2112 @ Sep 15 2008, 11:01 PM)
I am looking forward to watching every single Ranger's game there is anyone out there with me!!!

No!! The Rangers SUCK!!!!

and with the first pick of the 2009 Amateur Draft, The NY ISLANDERS choose John Tavares 653.gif

Are the Islanders ever going to build a new arena???

no NEW arena

plans are for a massive refurbishment

planned for summer next year, maybe

QUOTE (River Alph @ Sep 23 2008, 07:17 AM)
I am looking forward to watching every single Ranger's game there is anyone out there with me!!!

and with the first pick of the 2009 Amateur Draft, The NY ISLANDERS choose John Tavares 653.gif

no NEW arena

That's BS. Some of the highest taxes in the country and they can't afford to build a new arena? New arena attracts more players and fans.

I won't be bucking up to see any games there this year but I'll definitely be checking out the new Devils arena this year.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 22 2008, 12:28 PM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Sep 21 2008, 11:18 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 19 2008, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 19 2008, 01:40 PM)
This is the first time in a decade that I'm excited about the NHL season.  The Blackhawks are going to be a force this season.

A force? Hmmm, they may make the playoffs..........

They got alot of talent on that team.

They should be great in a couple of seasons.

We were one Jonathan Toews injury away from the playoffs last season. This season, the Hawks should be able be a top four seed in the west. 1022.gif

I highly doubt they be in the Top 4 in the West............my predicition is clinging to a playoff spot, maybe 8th place............

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 23 2008, 08:38 PM)
This is the first time in a decade that I'm excited about the NHL season.  The Blackhawks are going to be a force this season.

We were one Jonathan Toews injury away from the playoffs last season. This season, the Hawks should be able be a top four seed in the west. 1022.gif

I highly doubt they be in the Top 4 in the West............my predicition is clinging to a playoff spot, maybe 8th place............

7th-8th seems about right. Should make the playoffs.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 23 2008, 07:38 PM)

Jonathan Toews sprained his knee in January, and the Hawks lost 7 of those 10 games that he missed. If Toews wouldn't have missed those 10 games, the Hawks probably would have gotten the 8th seed last season. Now they have added Brian Campbell and Cristobal Huet, not to mention Toews and Kane are a year older. Also, Havlet finally had the surgery on his shoulder, and is on a contract year. He might actually play more than 30 games this season. laugh.gif

I'd be shocked if the Hawks don't land a 6th seed or better.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 23 2008, 01:34 PM)

no NEW arena

That's BS. Some of the highest taxes in the country and they can't afford to build a new arena? New arena attracts more players and fans.

I won't be bucking up to see any games there this year but I'll definitely be checking out the new Devils arena this year.

As a lifelong Islanders fan, I'd love to see the team build a new arena. But, in all reality, I don't think it'll ever happen. The team gets absolutely no support from Nassau County. The team has paid for every "upgrade" in the Coliseum, such as the nice scoreboard they have.

They're caught between a rock and a hard place. They can't attract the league's superstars because of the deplorable conditions in the locker room, and the lack of facilities that other teams offer to their star players. The municipality they play in gives them no support.

I think they'd be more likely to pack their bags and leave town after their contract with SMG management expires. SMG manages the coliseum. SMG has done absolutely nothing to upgrade the building since they signed the contract back in the '80s.

The whole "lighthouse" project is crap. They want to redevelop the area, add housing, offices and shopping. It'll never happen. They've been talking about it for years. They've scaled the project back many times. Now, with the economy in shambles, forget about it.

This team should cut their losses and move to Vegas. I don't go to much of the games anymore because ticket prices are through the roof. I used to be a season ticket holder. I've lived and died with this team, invested a lifetime of emotions with them. If they go to Vegas, I can still watch them on the NHL package, and enjoy the games just as I do now, from the comfort of my living room.

QUOTE (Natch @ Sep 24 2008, 03:40 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 23 2008, 01:34 PM)

no NEW arena

As a lifelong Islanders fan, I'd love to see the team build a new arena. But, in all reality, I don't think it'll ever happen. The team gets absolutely no support from Nassau County. The team has paid for every "upgrade" in the Coliseum, such as the nice scoreboard they have.

They're caught between a rock and a hard place. They can't attract the league's superstars because of the deplorable conditions in the locker room, and the lack of facilities that other teams offer to their star players. The municipality they play in gives them no support.

I think they'd be more likely to pack their bags and leave town after their contract with SMG management expires. SMG manages the coliseum. SMG has done absolutely nothing to upgrade the building since they signed the contract back in the '80s.

The whole "lighthouse" project is crap. They want to redevelop the area, add housing, offices and shopping. It'll never happen. They've been talking about it for years. They've scaled the project back many times. Now, with the economy in shambles, forget about it.

This team should cut their losses and move to Vegas. I don't go to much of the games anymore because ticket prices are through the roof. I used to be a season ticket holder. I've lived and died with this team, invested a lifetime of emotions with them. If they go to Vegas, I can still watch them on the NHL package, and enjoy the games just as I do now, from the comfort of my living room.

When does the SMG contract expire?

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 24 2008, 06:33 PM)

Not sure, but I think it's either 2010 or 2015. It was some crazy long term contract they signed way back when, I think in 1980 right after they won the cup. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time, but it has their hands tied now. To break the contract, they'd have to pay out the nose. It makes more financial sense to just let it expire.

QUOTE (Natch @ Sep 26 2008, 11:07 AM)

Not sure, but I think it's either 2010 or 2015. It was some crazy long term contract they signed way back when, I think in 1980 right after they won the cup. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time, but it has their hands tied now. To break the contract, they'd have to pay out the nose. It makes more financial sense to just let it expire.

undfortunately, its 2015.

I predict the Isles are long gone by 2010

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Sep 26 2008, 12:16 PM)
QUOTE (Natch @ Sep 26 2008, 11:07 AM)

undfortunately, its 2015.

I predict the Isles are long gone by 2010

It's a damn shame, because they have a solid fan base. When the Isles are competitive, they fill the place. My brother has been a season ticket holder for years. I used to be, before I moved to Jersey. I know many people that stopped going to games because it was frustrating to watch the team keep losing in the first round of the playoffs.

They really should stick around. But, they cannot exist under the current financial structure.

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Sep 26 2008, 12:42 PM)
going to a Red Wings exhibition game tonite.

icon_alienjig.gif

Thats sweet LRF. Its a weird start to the season this year...I think its on Sat Oct 4th in Prague & Sweden with two games each day on Sat & Sun but then the rest of the teams dont kick it off until Thurs/Fri Oct 9-10.

Still......I havent watched my first preseason game yet but I'm getting the itch

Have fun tonight

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Sep 26 2008, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Sep 26 2008, 01:42 PM)

icon_alienjig.gif

Have fun Amanda. bekloppt.gif

Thanks! it should be a good time, regardless of the outcome & Lidstrom's broken nose. sad.gif

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Sep 26 2008, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Sep 26 2008, 12:42 PM)

icon_alienjig.gif

Thats sweet LRF. Its a weird start to the season this year...I think its on Sat Oct 4th in Prague & Sweden with two games each day on Sat & Sun but then the rest of the teams dont kick it off until Thurs/Fri Oct 9-10.

Still......I havent watched my first preseason game yet but I'm getting the itch

Have fun tonight

Thanks PTA!!

I'll take pictures!!!!

maybe that'll help! laugh.gif

I've never been to a preseason game before, so this'll be interesting.

I'm sure in Hockeytwon, the preseason games are well-attended being that the Wings sell out continuously. In these parts (and with three teams within spitting distance) the preseason games are a great opportunity to get into the first 20 rows

and meet the players' wives

common001.gif

Archived