NHL

Brock2112

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Oct 11 2008, 08:50 PM)
Habs win Hockey night in Canada - 6-1 over leafs - common001.gif
Their Power Play hasn't skipped a beat and the addition of Robert Lang was great -

4 pts from Tanguay

Their Power Play hasn't skipped a beat and the addition of Robert Lang was great -

I'm still pissed that we traded Lang.

And 0-2 is not the way I envisioned the season starting. banghead.gif

Hopefully the Blackhawks take their home opener tonight.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 13 2008, 10:21 AM)

This isn't football, teams can go 0-2 and do fine.

Chigaco's young guns look like they could do some damage this season.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Oct 13 2008, 12:05 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Oct 11 2008, 09:04 PM)
Gonna be a LONG year for the Leafs............

goodpost.gif

I think that was established for a couple years now.

I think a last place finish is in the Leafs' overall plan.

They want to be first in line for the Taveras sweepstakes come draft time.

Management knows every seat will be filled in the ACC for decades to come, so it's not like they're concerned that a disasterous season on the ice will necessarily mean lost gate revenues.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 13 2008, 02:35 PM)

goodpost.gif

Management knows every seat will be filled in the ACC for decades to come, so it's not like they're concerned that a disasterous season on the ice will necessarily mean lost gate revenues.

Tavares Definitly is the #1 Pick.

And if they do get him, with Ron Wilson coaching, the leafs HOPEFULLY will be fine in a few years. Hopefully cause there the leafs.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Oct 13 2008, 03:50 PM)

goodpost.gif

And if they do get him, with Ron Wilson coaching, the leafs HOPEFULLY will be fine in a few years. Hopefully cause there the leafs.

Yes, I'm convinced that's the plan in Toronto. Acquire the franchise player, lock him up with a huge contract, and build a team around him.

Of course, with the Leafs' luck, this plan could very easily backfire.

Either way I 'll never lose a wink of sleep.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 13 2008, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Oct 13 2008, 03:50 PM)

goodpost.gif

Yes, I'm convinced that's the plan in Toronto. Acquire the franchise player, lock him up with a huge contract, and build a team around him.

Of course, with the Leafs' luck, this plan could very easily backfire.

Either way I 'll never lose a wink of sleep.

What they want to happen:

Get tavares, sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal, max rookie salary, add all these performance bonus'

After rookie contract is up: Sign him to a life time contract, big salary build around.

What they think will happen:

Get last place, but don't win the Tavares sweepstakes.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Oct 13 2008, 03:58 PM)

rofl3.gif

For some reason, I think that's the most likely outcome.

The curse of Harold Ballard will continue.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 13 2008, 03:04 PM)

rofl3.gif

I bet it will happen.

Then they either will have to dry and deal with it, or they'll send there 1st rounder, a good player and probably another 2nd-5th round pick for Tavares (#1 pick i mean.)

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Oct 13 2008, 04:09 PM)

rofl3.gif

I bet it will happen.

Then they either will have to dry and deal with it, or they'll send there 1st rounder, a good player and probably another 2nd-5th round pick for Tavares (#1 pick i mean.)

Hmmm........I think whoever ends up with Tavares, will likely not give him up. This kid is F'n HOT........they're even calling him the next Great One................he's tearing up the OHL again with 12 goals, 7 assists in 11 games.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 13 2008, 03:16 PM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Oct 13 2008, 04:09 PM)

rofl3.gif

I bet it will happen.

Hmmm........I think whoever ends up with Tavares, will likely not give him up. This kid is F'n HOT........they're even calling him the next Great One................he's tearing up the OHL again with 12 goals, 7 assists in 11 games.

He'll be something special alright.

Toronto in my mind would have to trade:

Toskala, 1st rounder, 3rd rounder, and maybe a conditional Pick

Or maybe antropov, other then toskala

Rangers Prospect Cherepanov Dies

RANGER PROSPECT CHEREPANOV DIES DURING KHL GAME

New York Ranger prospect Alexei Cherepanov collapsed on the bench during Omsk's Kontinental Hockey League game on Monday and died a short time later.

Omsk head coach Wayne Fleming said Cherepanov collapsed on the bench during the third period of the game and did not see anything that happened on the ice that may have contributed to it. He also said medical authorities tried to get Cherepanov's heart beating again after it had stopped.

"They tried to get his heart started again but they couldn't," he explained.

Sources in Russia tell TSN that the ambulance that is normally at all games had already departed and had to be called back.

It is not clear exactly how long it took for Cherepanov to be transported from the rink to the hospital but one source in the arena told TSN it was, "probably 15 or 20 minutes."

There are also questions as to whether defibrillators at the arena were in good working order, though no further details are available.

"We are extremely saddened by the tragic passing of Alexei," said New York Rangers president and general manager Glen Sather in a statement. "On behalf of the New York Rangers organization, I would like to extend our deepest sympathies to his family. Alexei was an intelligent, energetic young man, with tremendous talent and an extremely bright future."

Cherepanov was drafted 17th overall by the Rangers in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

"He was a great kid," Cherepanov's agent Jay Grossman told TSN. "He had a great smile and was an outstanding player with a great future on and off the ice. It's both shocking and devastating news for all of us. "

He had seven goals and 12 points in 14 games played this season in KHL, including the first goal in Monday's game. Cherepanov played 106 games during his career in the KHL/RSL (Russian Super League), all with Avangard Omsk and scored 40 goals with 29 assists over that span.

He set the RSL record for goals by a rookie with 18, beating the previous mark held by Pavel Bure (17 goals), during the 2006-07 season. His 29 points in his rookie campaign was more than Evgeni Malkin, Alexander Ovechkin and Ilya Kovalchuk scored during their first initial RSL seasons.

Cherepanov also helped lead Russia to a Bronze Medal at the World Junior Championships in 2008, scoring three goals and adding three assists with a plus-three rating over his six games at the tournament.

"The NHLPA is saddened to learn of the passing of Alexei Cherepanov," said NHL Players' Association executive director Paul Kelly in a statement. "Alexei was a tremendous young man and a highly-skilled hockey player whose promising career had no limits. His unexpected passing at such a young age is a great loss for the entire hockey community. The NHLPA extends our condolences to Alexei's family, friends and teammates during this extremely difficult time."

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 13 2008, 12:21 PM)

Close game..........always sucks to lose in a shootout............

Sharks are off to their best start yet: 4-0

Gotta love it when they have NHL Center Ice on free preview. I finally get to see Sharks games, and this one was a treat.

Columbus at San Jose. Bluejackets got the lead and held onto it until about halfway through the game. Sharks responded with 4 unanswered points, chased LeClair from the pipes, and won 5-2.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 16 2008, 03:15 PM)
first coaching casualty of the year....Black Hawks fired Savard; Quenneville takes over

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=386928

That one surprised me. But the Hawks spent a lot of money in the off season, and I'm guessing they want somebody with a more proven track record that Denis Savard.

I think Deni was doing a good job though. I don't know if he deserved the ax...but I know the new owner of the Blackhawks wants to win and wants to win now.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 16 2008, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 16 2008, 03:15 PM)
first coaching casualty of the year....Black Hawks fired Savard;  Quenneville takes over

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=386928

That one surprised me. But the Hawks spent a lot of money in the off season, and I'm guessing they want somebody with a more proven track record that Denis Savard.

I think Deni was doing a good job though. I don't know if he deserved the ax...but I know the new owner of the Blackhawks wants to win and wants to win now.

I was surprised too. I guess they want to make the change before they get into big of a hole and to motivate what is a pretty talented team.

Archived